to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One's family game sharing will return "if people are re

Your comments on our articles.

Marc Whitten on Xbox One messaging: "We haven't done as good a job as we can"

Xbox Product Chief Marc Whitten has confessed that the way Microsoft have been communicating with consumers on the Xbox One has been less than stellar after a petition to reinstate the console's controversial digital features reached more than 20,000 signatures. ... read more

Xbox One's family game sharing will return "if people are re

Postby SilentDark » 13 Jul 2013, 16:21

Marc, this isn't hard. Enable family sharing for downloaded games, keep things as they are for disc based games. Why did MS have a problem with that concept to start with? You didn't need to alienate people, you didn't need to start a giant civil war on planet xbox, everyone can have what they want, it called choice. Give people a choice, see what they do with it. I want my games that I can play as and when I want, I want games without restrictions on what I can do with them after I'm finished, others want what you were originally offering, so why was having it both ways so fundamentally impossible to start with?
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Re: Xbox One's family game sharing will return "if people ar

Postby Plamsa wing » 13 Jul 2013, 16:34

They should definitely bring it back for digital games, with as little DRM as possible, although keeping a small bit to stop people from abusing the system. Microsoft can easily do it, they've clearly got the people to.

If they do decide to bring it back, they need to explain it more clearly too. They're on to a winner here and to just scrap it would be a stupid mistake.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Jenga » 13 Jul 2013, 17:54

I think the easiest way to get a good sample of what consumers want is to put a short survey onto the Live service. As has been said before, on a similar article, for every outspoken Xbox owner there's at least a couple happy with what is offered.
Jenga 19

Postby Starskream » 13 Jul 2013, 19:17

From the start I think they should have offered people the option to "opt In" for the whole Digital Revolution. First off when you buy your console you can use it just like the 360, play games offline, trade your games and so on but then if you chose to connect to Xbox Live you could be offered the chance to "take advantage" of what the Xbox One really had to offer and this would include all that was shown at E3 where you could install your games to the HDD then throw the disk in a cupboard, share the games with 10 people, the ability to trade digital game licences but also the DRM and 24 hour check ins. It wouldn't be impossible for a company like MS to come up with some way of doing this.

I think if they had gone about it this way then it would have been received far better by the Whine brigade and you would have seen that once they discovered just how good it was to have these features people would soon adopt it and forget about the old console model of lining the pockets of Game.
Starskream 39

Postby The Kull » 13 Jul 2013, 19:35

Personally I think all the PS4 supporters signing the petition as a laugh have shot themselves in the foot. It is clear microsoft understand that people want a compromise and I think thats what we are going to get. I am not going to lie, I was pro Xbox One from the reveal mostly because the DRM issues didn't effect me since I am an always online gamer anyway and there were no negatives that would cause me to move to the stuck in the past PS4. As a result I was very disappointed when I found out the family sharing was going to be taken away but reading this article has made me feel confident that the Xbox One is going to be a stronger console all round. e.g superior online service, ideal DRM policies that suit digital and disc users and ideal video streaming (instead of social media integration. I mean common, who on facebook wants to know if you just beat uncharted 4?).
The Kull 34

Postby delpoi » 13 Jul 2013, 20:32

The Kull wrote:Personally I think all the PS4 supporters signing the petition as a laugh have shot themselves in the foot. It is clear microsoft understand that people want a compromise and I think thats what we are going to get. I am not going to lie, I was pro Xbox One from the reveal mostly because the DRM issues didn't effect me since I am an always online gamer anyway and there were no negatives that would cause me to move to the stuck in the past PS4. As a result I was very disappointed when I found out the family sharing was going to be taken away but reading this article has made me feel confident that the Xbox One is going to be a stronger console all round. e.g superior online service, ideal DRM policies that suit digital and disc users and ideal video streaming (instead of social media integration. I mean common, who on facebook wants to know if you just beat uncharted 4?).

100% agree I even left a comment for the Playstation fanboys when I signed the petition to do with that lol
I really hope a compromise can be struck if so I'm definitely opting in :)
delpoi 38

Postby ipsofacto » 13 Jul 2013, 23:41

Aaaaaaaand there it is. Onto a winner now hopefully
ipsofacto 42

Postby Christopher Dack » 14 Jul 2013, 00:27

Can we not have a core xbone disk only ,can install and download content , without kinect then the full xbone with all the Tv features , kinect etc . All this in fan fighting and back and forwardness ! I just want to play games on a console !!
Christopher Dack 25

Postby Grummy » 14 Jul 2013, 01:43

Christopher Dack wrote:Can we not have a core xbone disk only ,can install and download content , without kinect then the full xbone with all the Tv features , kinect etc . All this in fan fighting and back and forwardness ! I just want to play games on a console !!

No, we can't, the kinect is compulsory because developers will then know that everyone has one and can build games knowing that everyone will have the capacity to utilize the kinect features. The TV stuff is part of the package that Microsoft want us to have. You may only want console and games, but MS want us to have the complete multimedia experience. You either accept it, or move to Playstation.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby J288gto » 14 Jul 2013, 08:13

This is promising from MS for a change. Like Silentdark said, enable family sharing for all digital versions of games in your library. Disc based games that you have installed will not be able to be shared. The DRM will be removed with a Day 1 update right? Surley they can just revise the patch before then?

Taking family sharing did seem like MS were taking their toys with them no matter what they say. :)
J288gto 26

Postby GHOSTY05 » 14 Jul 2013, 09:40

I have been considering going fully digital for some time now.

If they bring this back in and hopefully the digital prices are reasonable then i will be going digital! :mrgreen:
GHOSTY05 39

Postby ChaoticP » 14 Jul 2013, 11:13

Grummy wrote:
Christopher Dack wrote:Can we not have a core xbone disk only ,can install and download content , without kinect then the full xbone with all the Tv features , kinect etc . All this in fan fighting and back and forwardness ! I just want to play games on a console !!

No, we can't, the kinect is compulsory because developers will then know that everyone has one and can build games knowing that everyone will have the capacity to utilize the kinect features. The TV stuff is part of the package that Microsoft want us to have. You may only want console and games, but MS want us to have the complete multimedia experience. You either accept it, or move to Playstation.

Yep, keep in mind Microsoft is trying to capture a broad audience and therefore they want a broad set of features, and making two separate consoles with features stripped away isn't very economical.
ChaoticP 47

Postby milo rambaldi » 14 Jul 2013, 11:41

The problem people had with the "digital future" is in the erosion of gamer's rights ownership wise, I have seen people use steam as a comparison, but steam has competition, with ms you had xbox live- a total monopoly- the only place to get your games so would digital games be cheaper? unlikely.
the advantage consoles have over p.c,s are their accessibility . you put in your disc & you're ready to go, what ms seem to want (in between t.v & nfl) is a very convoluted way o taking away all your rights as a consumer, and expecting you to be happy about it. And to go back to steam again, just because p.c losers thought giving up their rights was a good idea doesn't mean we all do , and as i write this , sony have announced that you will be able to access your games from any console & they didn't need over restrictive drm in order to do that, ms are you taking note?
milo rambaldi 1

Postby ChaoticP » 14 Jul 2013, 11:57

milo rambaldi wrote:The problem people had with the "digital future" is in the erosion of gamer's rights ownership wise, I have seen people use steam as a comparison, but steam has competition, with ms you had xbox live- a total monopoly- the only place to get your games so would digital games be cheaper? unlikely.
the advantage consoles have over p.c,s are their accessibility . you put in your disc & you're ready to go, what ms seem to want (in between t.v & nfl) is a very convoluted way o taking away all your rights as a consumer, and expecting you to be happy about it. And to go back to steam again, just because p.c losers thought giving up their rights was a good idea doesn't mean we all do , and as i write this , sony have announced that you will be able to access your games from any console & they didn't need over restrictive drm in order to do that, ms are you taking note?

Microsoft would still have competition with Sony, so I think they would drop the price of their games in order to give people the incentive to buy their console. Something many people don't seem to know is the 360 already allows accessing any downloaded games from any console you are signed in to.
Last edited by ChaoticP on 14 Jul 2013, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.
ChaoticP 47

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 14 Jul 2013, 12:05

SilentDark wrote:Marc, this isn't hard. Enable family sharing for downloaded games, keep things as they are for disc based games. Why did MS have a problem with that concept to start with? You didn't need to alienate people, you didn't need to start a giant civil war on planet xbox, everyone can have what they want, it called choice. Give people a choice, see what they do with it. I want my games that I can play as and when I want, I want games without restrictions on what I can do with them after I'm finished, others want what you were originally offering, so why was having it both ways so fundamentally impossible to start with?

I have often wondered whether part of the reason that the Shared Library was withdrawn, was because initially everyone leapt on the feature as being one of the key reasons to buy a One, and whether it was the case that Microsoft had perhaps overstated its case, and risked being exposed as having done so. If the report by the supposed engineer were true and the Library could only be accessed for a maximum of 1 hour (something I suspect to be true, because I have always struggled to reconcile the oft heard pleas from Developers that they were bereft of cash, and the continuing battle with piracy, could be resolved by giving their games away for free!), then this key feature could have potentially bitten Microsoft on their unmentionables. I've always suspected that the 'Shared Libraries' withdrawal may have been more about saving face than anything.

I would love to be wrong about Microsoft's original plans, though I suspect we may never know, as it is entirely possible that the version of the 'Shared Library' that we eventually get, may not be what we were originally intended to have received, and it just might be the case that the reason it was withdrawn prior to the release of the One, is so that Microsoft can give us something that is more akin to what we thought we were being offered in the first instance, which is good news for us as the consumer.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Next