to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Hot Topic: is Xbox One's controller enough of a change?

Your comments on our articles.

Should Microsoft have made more drastic tweaks to its next gen controller?

All together now: it burns! It burns! This issue's Hot Topic concerns the Xbox One's revamped controller, a sleek revisiting of the Xbox 360's all-conquering layout. Is this the pad to rule them all, or should Microsoft have clamped on additional innovations - a touchscreen, perhaps, or some sort of big silly light thing on the rear casing?... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 14 Jul 2013, 13:38

I do love the 360 pad (well, newer versions with the decent dpad) but I feel it could do with a couple more buttons somewhere, using the same button for cover, picking up, dodge and actions is not a good plan, and just causes frustration when your character roles into the grenade for the umpteinth time
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby gunnerjp » 14 Jul 2013, 13:51

i like the old pad im glad they havnt changed the design for the next gen pads but also glad they have improved it by adding new stuff
Last edited by gunnerjp on 14 Jul 2013, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
gunnerjp 4

Re: Hot Topic: is Xbox One's controller enough of a change?

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Jul 2013, 13:52

I think you both make really good points. I love the 360 pad and am really happy they've kept it similar, but at the same time I saw an interview which Cliff B years ago in which he made the very good point FPS have dominated this generation because the controllers have triggers and it feels natural. When all we had was a D pad we all played platformers because moving side ways felt right, the N64 had a thumb stick and suddenly 3D was all the rage. We probably still would have had developers trying 3D but would they have caught on if they were a pain to navigate? Controller does have a big impact on what games become popular, but I'm still glad that we are getting something comfortable
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Mitchell Tennant » 14 Jul 2013, 13:54

i like the what they have done to the new controller =)
Mitchell Tennant 16

Postby Baryonyx » 14 Jul 2013, 14:16

The new design looks good, and the previous design is so brilliant that really, not much needs to be done to improve it. The D-pad is an obvious point, and the lacklustre D-pads favoured by both Sony and Microsoft over the last generation have seen all but the utter relegation of that method of control.

Microsoft has always led the market when it comes to joypads, having got the core design so 'right' last time, they don't need to re-invent the wheel to provide a good product. I don't buy the argument that pad layout stifles creativity, I've played enough games with awful control layouts over the years to know that I like what works.

I mean, remember these...?

http://www.defconsoft.co.uk/wp-content/ ... ontrol.jpg
Baryonyx 42

Postby KernowDevil23 » 14 Jul 2013, 14:26

Personally I don't think the 360 pad needed much tinkering with anyway. The look and the changes made internally seem like more than enough for me. The rumble triggers being of particular interest.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 14 Jul 2013, 14:34

There's no point in changing up the controller, many more buttons and things would start to become too confusing, right now we have up to 20 interactive button presses on the current pad (4 shoulder, 4 face, 2 thumbstick clicks, 8 D-pad directions plus the start and back buttons), that is a lot and can be very confusing at times.

There is no question that innovation in game control is, if not 'necessary', at least valuable and something that should be explored, and we are getting that with the Kinect, the smart glass and, outside of Xbox, the Occulus Rift.

The control pad was created to be an easily manageable device that let us have as much control over our digital characters as necessary, a few generations ago it was fine, but as the generations have moved on, gaming experiences have become more personal, we have been granted a wider range of activities and larger worlds within which to do them. The pad still suffices for a lot of things, but the innovation now needs to be outside of the control pad, something as well as, to do things that improve the experience that either the pad just can't do, or at the very least, the things pads CAN do, but do them better. I can pause games and command allied AI around via the pad, but it would be so much easier to use Kinect and say ;Garrus, flank left, Ashleigh use grenade' and have them do it, it would keep the game flowing and keep me in control.

The Smart Glass is already being used, commander mode in BF4 and however it is used in the Division, DR3. It does appear a little gimmicky right now, but in time it could be a very useful thing. Plenty of people have talked up the idea of using the smart glass as a pip boy for example, I like the idea of playing a game like GTA where by using the smart glass app on your phone, the game phones you on your phone and you listen to the conversation there instead. It is, without question a gimmicky idea, but I love the prospect that the smart glass can improve immersion in experiences.

The other new piece of tech I'd love to see adapted is the google glass, maybe not that one specifically, but the damn thing looks remarkably like this eye piece Garrus has in this picture from an article on this very site http://www.oxm.co.uk/38274/features/mas ... -and-more/ The prospect of playing something like ME with something like the google glass and have communications from EDI through the ear piece and information through the lens part, an augmented reality experience.

I guess my point is that, unless you start throwing more buttons on the thing, pads have pretty much reached their limits, so now it is time to look outside of the pad to other options, remove control from the pad where it can be utilized better on other peripherals and streamline what the pad can do instead.

This however brings up another concern, and the one which I think is the real reason why MS haven't changed all that much here, a lot of people just aren't interested, and worse, vehemently against the idea of interacting with game in any other fashion than their beloved control pad. Making Kinect standard kit is a good start to getting people involved, but there will always be luddites who aggressively fight against it. Not changing the pad too much was the one smart PR move MS made, whatever other problems people have with them, they still know that their beloved Xbox pad hasn't really changed.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Christopher Dack » 14 Jul 2013, 15:05

I wouldnt mind a little wheel set into the side - for scrolling menus or zooming in maps etc or extra zoom
Christopher Dack 25

Postby jimbosolo » 14 Jul 2013, 15:48

Im happy with the xbox control pad as we can thank Sega largely for its design as its based off of the Dreamcast controller design. While the playstation pad dates back to around 1992 and its based on the SNES controller, when Nintendo first started making what would become sony playstation, after sony screwed over Nintendo.
jimbosolo 15

Postby Plamsa wing » 14 Jul 2013, 16:07

I really don't think there is much to be changed about the current design, is pretty much spot on in my mind. The only thing I would change is the d-pad, making it a bit more friendly for fighting games would be a massive bonus.

I'm more interested in the Kinect working in conjunction with the controller, for example saying menu, can bring you to the menu. Going one better, you could essentially improve matchmaking on games like Halo and Battlefield with Kinect. Perhaps saying, multiplayer-conquest-hardcode mode and the like to bring you right into the game. It could even work for campaign was well, removing the need to switch from menu to menu.

It's shame Viva Pinata doesn't have that type of function, going through the journal can get tedious at times. It would remove a lot of the needless hassle in games.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Silence Sean » 14 Jul 2013, 16:15

I like the feel of the 360 pad. Ergonomic as can be. You could probably improve on it but it is pretty damn nice.
Silence Sean 22

Postby Drainwater » 14 Jul 2013, 16:37

I'll have to agree with Grummy on this one. We've really seen about all we can get out of the controller except for maybe a tweak or two. Smart glass style peripherals and, although I don't like it, Kinect are really the only direction they have to go if they want to "add" controls. And, like Grummy, I've often found myself thinking of what could they do with a Google Glass.

Also, for anyone who's seen pictures of Google Glass, am I the only one who is reminded of those headsets the Dominion used in Deep Space Nine? Or am I the only one who saw/liked that show?
Drainwater 35

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Jul 2013, 17:03

Drainwater wrote:I'll have to agree with Grummy on this one. We've really seen about all we can get out of the controller except for maybe a tweak or two. Smart glass style peripherals and, although I don't like it, Kinect are really the only direction they have to go if they want to "add" controls. And, like Grummy, I've often found myself thinking of what could they do with a Google Glass.

Also, for anyone who's seen pictures of Google Glass, am I the only one who is reminded of those headsets the Dominion used in Deep Space Nine? Or am I the only one who saw/liked that show?

Nope DS9 is one of my favourite shows, and I seem to recall from a previous debate Yokel is also a fan.

And yes it does look a lot like the Dominion headsets. Hadn't occurred to me before
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Filipus » 14 Jul 2013, 18:07

I believe microsoft could really push all the consoles forward but... we would't accept it. Just look at the reactions this past month...

The problem isn't the company, its the people. They aren't money greedy, they just need to have it to survive and bring better things to us.
Filipus 25

Postby PonderingWalrus » 14 Jul 2013, 18:34

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Next