to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bungie: people are "too quick" to compare Destiny to Halo

Your comments on our articles.

Cabal are totes different to Elites, studio argues

Bungie's dropped another Mail Sack on the internet's doormat, which contains a gentle but firm reproof to those who liken its forthcoming always-online shooter Destiny to the Halo series.... read more

Bungie: people are "too quick" to compare Destiny to Halo

Postby Bezza89 » 15 Jul 2013, 10:32

Some of the smaller targets, like the Grunts and Jackals, will draw your fire. The larger crews, the ones that include Elites, Brutes or Hunters, will have you wishing you brought that Fireteam. And let's not forget about those moments when we'll drop something as big as a Scarab in your path.

You make a game that sounds like halo, looks like halo and is made by the same people and of course we're going to make comparisons, their mistake is thinking this is a bad thing.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Re: Bungie: people are

Postby OXM ETboy » 15 Jul 2013, 10:45

I do wonder whether 343's Halo Xbox One trailer is a dig at Destiny. Master Chief: now with added cloth physics.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Jul 2013, 11:18

Bezza89 wrote:
Some of the smaller targets, like the Grunts and Jackals, will draw your fire. The larger crews, the ones that include Elites, Brutes or Hunters, will have you wishing you brought that Fireteam. And let's not forget about those moments when we'll drop something as big as a Scarab in your path.

You make a game that sounds like halo, looks like halo and is made by the same people and of course we're going to make comparisons, their mistake is thinking this is a bad thing.

Agreed. "Oh noes! They think our new game is just like one of the best selling, most loved games in history! This is terrible!!!"

The only way this could possibly be a negative for Bungie is if they think Destiny is a load of bilge and will drive people towards buying 343's Halo in the future
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Hollg » 15 Jul 2013, 11:23

Halo style, halo colour sets, halo landscapes, halo like characters.

Halo Destiny....

Enough said.
Hollg 29

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 15 Jul 2013, 12:05

And let's not forget about those moments when we'll drop something as big as a Devil Walker in your path

Completely different from the Wraiths from Halo then :lol:
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby Baryonyx » 15 Jul 2013, 13:06

I think Bungie let go of Halo at the right time, namely because Reach was amazing but Halo 4 was pretty naff. Time for something new then. Destiny looks amazing, I can't wait.
Baryonyx 42

Postby Dave2123 » 15 Jul 2013, 18:22

It is sad to see Bungie (and Activision) unable to escape the games that made them famous. You can see Bungie in the drawing room trying to think up some cool new ideas for a game, and the conclusion they came to was ... "How about we make another franchise like Halo." They then approached Activision who were like: "A FPS? Of course we're interested, everyone loves COD, but how about you make it into a MMORPG like World of Warcraft. Everyone loves that as well." Also, it is a bad thing to be like Halo. I know lots of people like it, but I bought the most recent Halo, because every raved about it, and it was the worst game I've ever played. I thought Destiny was going to be more RPG like Elder Scrolls or Fallout, but it seems, from the mos recent trailer, that this isn't the case.
Dave2123 29

Postby LackofAuthority » 15 Jul 2013, 21:20

I was really excited for Destiny but the more I see and read the more I think its Halo MMO, which isnt a bad thing really, but when I thnik Next gen I want mind blowing now same old. Watchdogs for me is mind blowing and new, Destiny isnt.
Listen to me, do as I say! (or don't, I don't care)
LackofAuthority 6