to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Xbox 360 casualty sheet: 45 companies that didn't surviv

Your comments on our articles.

Remembering those who didn't make it

It's been a long, hard generation: financial crises, increased competition from tablets and mobile, the rise of certain mega-franchises severely limiting the success of other games' multiplayer modes. There's been a brutal shift in business models over the course of the Xbox 360's life. Spiralling development costs and uncertain returns have taken many companies to the wall; the loss of the "b-game" mid-market titles has taken down publishers and studios alike.... read more

The Xbox 360 casualty sheet: 45 companies that didn't surviv

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Jul 2013, 13:37

So in other words there are a few simple rules if you want to survive as a studio

1) Don't work for Disney
2) Don't work for Activision
3) Working for EA is probably also a bad idea
4) Don't release games in a genre completely different from the ones you are good at
5) Avoid releasing crushingly average games.
6) Avoid not releasing anything ever

Seems like a pretty easy checklist to stick to
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: The Xbox 360 casualty sheet: 45 companies that didn't su

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Jul 2013, 13:46

So when the company you're working for is bought by Activision and although you're known for making 3rd person action games or driving games but told you need to make 15 new and innovative chess games a year you should start looking for a new job?
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby AARONm94 » 15 Jul 2013, 14:17

That's like half my childhood gone! :( :( :(
AARONm94 2

Postby SkinnerChinner » 15 Jul 2013, 14:19

This relatively little known studio made two Battlestations games (both of which were WW2-set aerial combat games) until Square Enix gave up on the series and closed them down.

I'd have thought a 'WW2 era naval strategy/action game' description would be more accuracte, considering you control everything from Battleships, Cruisers & Submarines to aircraft :wink:

I never knew Edios Hungary were goners, was quite looking forward to a 'Battlestations: Atlantic'
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby Bugsquat » 15 Jul 2013, 14:56

The only BigHuge Games game I had was Rise of Nations on the PC, which I really enjoyed but nobody else heard of. As Cunning has suggested, perhaps they should have stuck with what they were better-versed in.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 30

Postby MrT666 » 15 Jul 2013, 14:58

Gearbox should be on that list as well
MrT666 18

Postby OXM ETboy » 15 Jul 2013, 15:04

Gearbox is still with us!

Alas, poor Psygnosis. Everything that studio touched turned to gold.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SkinnerChinner » 15 Jul 2013, 15:14

Bugsquat wrote:The only BigHuge Games game I had was Rise of Nations on the PC, which I really enjoyed but nobody else heard of. As Cunning has suggested, perhaps they should have stuck with what they were better-versed in.

On the contrary m'dear Watson, I have indeed heard of RoN, and still play it!
Last edited by SkinnerChinner on 15 Jul 2013, 15:17, edited 2 times in total.
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby MrT666 » 15 Jul 2013, 15:16

OXM ETboy wrote:Gearbox is still with us!

Alas, poor Psygnosis. Everything that studio touched turned to gold.

I know but Gearbox "should" be in that list, they deserve to be, Yeah psygnosis did make some great games :(
MrT666 18

Postby msbhvn » 15 Jul 2013, 15:19

MrT666 wrote:I know but Gearbox "should" be in that list, they deserve to be

You do know Gearbox had little to do with Aliens Colonial Marines, right? They were too busy making Borderlands 2, which is an excellent game, to be bothered making A:CM for Sega - a publisher known for not promoting anything that doesn't have a blue hedgehog in it.

TimeGate, who did a lot of the work on A:CM, have closed their doors.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby MrT666 » 15 Jul 2013, 16:14

msbhvn wrote:
MrT666 wrote:I know but Gearbox "should" be in that list, they deserve to be

You do know Gearbox had little to do with Aliens Colonial Marines, right? They were too busy making Borderlands 2, which is an excellent game, to be bothered making A:CM for Sega - a publisher known for not promoting anything that doesn't have a blue hedgehog in it.

TimeGate, who did a lot of the work on A:CM, have closed their doors.

And if you believe that you'll believe anything,
MrT666 18

Postby msbhvn » 15 Jul 2013, 16:19

MrT666 wrote:And if you believe that you'll believe anything,

What I believe is the fact-checked reporting on the subject and not the ranting of random people on the internet. :wink:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby MrT666 » 15 Jul 2013, 16:57

msbhvn wrote:
MrT666 wrote:And if you believe that you'll believe anything,

What I believe is the fact-checked reporting on the subject and not the ranting of random people on the internet. :wink:

What fact-checked reporting? I'm not just talking about Aliens i mean every single game they make they lie about ,even their own brothers in arms series. Timegate ruin those as well? The fact they blamed Timegate and made them go bust just shows what a horrible scumbag company they are.
MrT666 18

Postby msbhvn » 15 Jul 2013, 17:07

Gearbox didn't blame TimeGate for anything. They sub-contracted A:CM to TimeGate, who did a terrible job. The "gameplay" video was based on features promised by TimeGate that they failed to deliver. Most of the details about A:CM's development came from ex-TimeGate employees.

I can't comment on the Brothers in Arms games, because I've never played them, but both Borderlands games are among the most entertaining I've played this generation, even though I'm not particularly partial to the FPS genre.
msbhvn 66

Postby Grummy » 15 Jul 2013, 17:15

msbhvn wrote:Gearbox didn't blame TimeGate for anything. They sub-contracted A:CM to TimeGate, who did a terrible job. The "gameplay" video was based on features promised by TimeGate that they failed to deliver. Most of the details about A:CM's development came from ex-TimeGate employees.

I can't comment on the Brothers in Arms games, because I've never played them, but both Borderlands games are among the most entertaining I've played this generation, even though I'm not particularly partial to the FPS genre.

Stop teasing the poor boy, bring out these reports for him to read.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Next