to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ubisoft: publishers need to spend as much on marketing as ga

Your comments on our articles.

"You're making a huge bet on the development side, you've got to be all in."

While so many other development studios and publishers are carefully counting pennies and making cuts, the ethos at Ubisoft seems to be that you need to spend money in order to make money.... read more

Ubisoft: publishers need to spend as much on marketing as ga

Postby Jigster1 » 15 Jul 2013, 17:59

I agree and disagree on certain points!

First I agree that games are competing against other mediums which is pretty obvious!

I disagree on the marketing budgets etc! If a game is quality then shouldn't that sell it self via word of mouth!
Jigster1 46

Re: Ubisoft: publishers need to spend as much on marketing a

Postby Dave2123 » 15 Jul 2013, 18:13

Jigster1 wrote:I agree and disagree on certain points!

First I agree that games are competing against other mediums which is pretty obvious!

I disagree on the marketing budgets etc! If a game is quality then shouldn't that sell it self via word of mouth!

Of course it won't sell itself via word of mouth. The majority of people who buy games don't visit gaming websites and chances are their mates don't have the game. The only time they'd know if a new AC is out is when they go into a gaming store and see a big poster with Edward Kenyway on it or when they see it on telly. I got AC3 for Christmas and it's the best game I've ever played, but I haven't told any of my friends about it; we don't talk about that sort of thing. If products could sell themselves via word of mouth we wouldn't haven't any adverts on telly, movies, bill boards etc..
Dave2123 29

Postby Jigster1 » 15 Jul 2013, 18:37

Dave2123 wrote:

Of course it won't sell itself via word of mouth. The majority of people who buy games don't visit gaming websites and chances are their mates don't have the game. The only time they'd know if a new AC is out is when they go into a gaming store and see a big poster with Edward Kenyway on it or when they see it on telly. I got AC3 for Christmas and it's the best game I've ever played, but I haven't told any of my friends about it; we don't talk about that sort of thing. If products could sell themselves via word of mouth we wouldn't haven't any adverts on telly, movies, bill boards etc..

What I meant or should of added was that marketing budgets don't need to be as high as the guys suggesting!
Jigster1 46

Postby Spiderless » 15 Jul 2013, 19:39

Advertising man says advertising works and he needs more money to make it work better.

Woah.
Spiderless 25

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Jul 2013, 23:42

Alas no some of the best games of the generation were over looked because they had no budget thrown behind them. Even if good word of mouth kicks in it often doesn't until the game has been judged a failure and the dev studio closed. It's no coincidence that CoD is the biggest selling game and has the biggest advertising budget
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby lostinpost » 16 Jul 2013, 00:31

Maybe Microsoft should be doing more game promotion through Xbox Live. It's the one thing every one of it's customers sees as soon as they switch on.
I miss the days of the flashy game videos and demos on the big screens in shops like Game, Electronic Boutique, Virgin Gamestore. Digital is the future, but it just doesn't have the same atmosphere.
These days, too many people check the Metacritic score without even looking at the game themselves first.
lostinpost 23

Postby ChaoticP » 16 Jul 2013, 02:30

lazercut123 wrote:
Dave2123 wrote:Of course it won't sell itself via word of mouth. The majority of people who buy games don't visit gaming websites and chances are their mates don't have the game. The only time they'd know if a new AC is out is when they go into a gaming store and see a big poster with Edward Kenyway on it or when they see it on telly. I got AC3 for Christmas and it's the best game I've ever played, but I haven't told any of my friends about it; we don't talk about that sort of thing. If products could sell themselves via word of mouth we wouldn't haven't any adverts on telly, movies, bill boards etc..

One word... Minecraft.

Minecraft was heavily popular among youtubers and gaming press, which gave it much of the publicity it needed, it also helps the game was very unique. Seeing games reach that amount of success without a big marketing budget is pretty rare.
ChaoticP 51