to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Watch Dogs multiplayer video - Ubisoft explains player hacki

Your comments on our articles.

How those sneaky online systems work, and how to stay safe

Contrary to earlier reports, Jonty did not in fact spend all of E3 facedown in a box of promotional Doritos. Want evidence to that effect? Here's a video of the man chatting to Ubisoft's Dominic Guay, senior producer on forthcoming open world hack 'em up Watch Dogs. The topic du jour? Multiplayer.... read more

Watch Dogs multiplayer video - Ubisoft explains player hacki

Postby Dave2123 » 15 Jul 2013, 19:04

I still don't fully understand how this is going to work, but I'm intrigued. I don't really play multiplayer anyway, so this isn't much of a big deal. Is that app going to be a specific Watch Dogs' app or will it use SmartGlass? If it is a stand alone app it answers the question of how was the PS4 demo guy playing on a tablet when Sony haven't developed that technology. I thought Sony had copied Mircosoft again and developed their own SmartGlass technology, but maybe not. If they haven't then that is a big point in Microsoft's favour.
Dave2123 29

Re: Watch Dogs multiplayer video - Ubisoft explains player h

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Jul 2013, 19:05

Contrary to earlier reports, Jonty did not in fact spend all of E3 facedown in a box of promotional Doritos

You guys get free Doritos?!
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Insaneyokel » 15 Jul 2013, 19:15

Mmmmm Doritos. This game looks promising! Think I might have to put this on my list
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Grummy » 15 Jul 2013, 19:40

Jonty, I hope you're going to make some space on your friends list for some OXM members when next gen rolls around so we can hunt you down and hack you :twisted:

I could see a colle blog feature coming from this actually 'Jonty's Watchdogs Journal: A tale of Hack-tag- You're it!'. You could regale us with stories of your triumphant hacking battles during gameplay. Complete with video clips too!
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 15 Jul 2013, 19:51

Hm. Sounds a bit like Dark Souls, but much less aggravating and disruptive. What happens to the person getting "hacked", do they lose anything?
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby Grummy » 15 Jul 2013, 19:59

msbhvn wrote:Hm. Sounds a bit like Dark Souls, but much less aggravating and disruptive. What happens to the person getting "hacked", do they lose anything?

I had the same opinion of it, it is very like Dark Souls, but without the 'die once and lose all your progress' penalty, so it's much less severe. I just hope there is a cool down timer on invasions, so it's not a constant problem, could be difficult to progress the sp game otherwise. I also like that, it appears that the point of invasion isn't to kill the player, but to hack his game and (I assume) syphon away funds etc and the players job is simply to track down the invader and stop them. I much prefer the cat & mouse aspect of it compared to DS' 'just kill each other' approach. Horses for courses of.....course...... but I prefer it. In theory at least, have to see how it plays out to be sure.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Jul 2013, 23:46

Dave2123 wrote:I still don't fully understand how this is going to work, but I'm intrigued. I don't really play multiplayer anyway, so this isn't much of a big deal. Is that app going to be a specific Watch Dogs' app or will it use SmartGlass? If it is a stand alone app it answers the question of how was the PS4 demo guy playing on a tablet when Sony haven't developed that technology. I thought Sony had copied Mircosoft again and developed their own SmartGlass technology, but maybe not. If they haven't then that is a big point in Microsoft's favour.

Don't know if its still right but when this was first announced it had a custom app as it had started development before MS announced their smart glass.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby TronZler » 17 Jul 2013, 18:56

Multiplayerwise,this sounds like it could be one of the most fun an exciting one in a while,the possibilities it seems are endless. It makes the single player aspect even better too,from my perspective an how i want to play that is,bond style! Shaken not stirred.
I'm curiously wondering right now with what bits are coming out of rockstar about it's own multiplayer,if they may be similar in ways? Only time will tell. *waits patiently*
TronZler 23