to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 2 is free now for Xbox Live Gold subscriber

Your comments on our articles.

Download Ezio Auditore's debut adventure for sweet Fanny Adams

Assassin's Creed 2 - often argued to be the franchise's finest hour - is now free to download for Xbox Live Gold subscribers on the Marketplace. The file's 4.59 GB in size.... read more

Assassin's Creed 2 is free now for Xbox Live Gold subscriber

Postby artful c0dger » 16 Jul 2013, 09:24

Sweet! Still the best in the series so far for me. Already got 1000gs on it but i'm going to download it again just for the amazing story.
artful c0dger 17

Re: Assassin's Creed 2 is free now for Xbox Live Gold subscr

Postby vadersmyfather » 16 Jul 2013, 09:27

Great game. Would be sure to download had I not played to death a few years ago.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby Metalrodent » 16 Jul 2013, 09:28

Only 160 or so off 1000, so I'll probably give this another playthough
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby ChaoticP » 16 Jul 2013, 09:43

Sold this a while back, but really missed it.
ChaoticP 52

Postby Jigster1 » 16 Jul 2013, 10:49

Assassins Creed content is also for sale until the end of July as well!

(Copy & pasted from Majornelson.com!
Content Normally* Sale Price*
Assassin’s Creed $19.99 $14.99 USD
Assassin’s Creed II Sequence 12: Battle of Forli 320 214 MSP
AC II Sequence 13 : Bonfire of the Vanities & Secret Locations 560 375 MSP
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood $19.99 $14.99 USD
ACB – The Da Vinci Disappearance DLC 800 536 MSP
Assassin’s Creed Revelations $19.99 $14.99 USD
ACRs — The Lost Archive 800 536 MSP
ACR — Mediterranean Traveler Map Pack 800 536 MSP
Assassin’s Creed® III Season Pass 2400 1600 MSP
Jigster1 46

Postby Thos. » 16 Jul 2013, 12:28

I bought AC2 second hand for a couple of quid a while ago. It's entertaining to walk the streets for a while - really atmospheric.

However, I completely fail to see where the challenge is. Parkour - press a button and run. Combat - mash the buttons. Combine that with a terrible story, busy work missions, and embarrassing "It's-a-me Mario" acting.

Look everyone - the assassin is wearing no clothes!
Thos. 45

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Jul 2013, 13:22

Thos. wrote:I bought AC2 second hand for a couple of quid a while ago. It's entertaining to walk the streets for a while - really atmospheric.

However, I completely fail to see where the challenge is. Parkour - press a button and run. Combat - mash the buttons. Combine that with a terrible story, busy work missions, and embarrassing "It's-a-me Mario" acting.

I think we just look for different things in games. For me the plot and characterisation are for more important than challenge (something which IMO is often used as an excuse by developers to cover up poor design choices and imbalance) and AC2 is one of the games of the generation. For me the parkour is a nice way of getting around and actually allows some interesting climbing puzzles and the combat, far from being button mashing, really comes into its own with a wide variety of special moves and weapons offering a wide variety of options even if the counter kill is over powered.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 16 Jul 2013, 14:35

Downloaded this and its starting to show its age. Weird facial animations and simple textures have become very apparent since I played it last.

Saying that though Ive just finished playing the 1st hour or so and its still miles better than AC3 as a whole.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby Bugsquat » 16 Jul 2013, 15:04

<SPOILER>

This is the best AC for me because I love some of the one-liners that Ezio comes out with while he's still young and cheeky, and it has his best and most obvious character arc. He starts out young and fresh-faced and gradually becomes much more stone-hearted with regards to the things he does towards the end - he kills Vieri di Pazzi by stabbing him repeatedly and shouting at him, but in the end he spares the life of Rodrigo Borgia, the architect of his sufferings (which turns out to be a bad call, but still). In Brotherhood and Revelations, he's already a stone-faced killer, and has the less obvious character arc of wisdom and fatigue in his work, which is still very good, but with perhaps not so much pathos.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Jul 2013, 15:38

At least we know the ending now.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Jul 2013, 15:43

FishyGinger wrote:At least we know the ending now.

I've done a bit of editing and added a spoiler warning. It's an old game so I think it's safe to discuss the plot but just in case
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Christopher Dack » 16 Jul 2013, 15:56

Only old if you have played it ;)
Christopher Dack 25

Postby Bugsquat » 16 Jul 2013, 16:12

:shock: Sorry!
This is the only forum I comment on, so I'm not used to this yet!
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby CR33D » 16 Jul 2013, 16:43

I never played AC:II just didn't know it was out untill Brotherhood,I heard it's one of the best too. But it isn't downloading for me anyone else have this?

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby Thos. » 16 Jul 2013, 19:34

CunningSmile wrote:
Thos. wrote:I bought AC2 second hand for a couple of quid a while ago. It's entertaining to walk the streets for a while - really atmospheric.

I think we just look for different things in games. For me the plot and characterisation are for more important than challenge (something which IMO is often used as an excuse by developers to cover up poor design choices and imbalance) and AC2 is one of the games of the generation. For me the parkour is a nice way of getting around and actually allows some interesting climbing puzzles and the combat, far from being button mashing, really comes into its own with a wide variety of special moves and weapons offering a wide variety of options even if the counter kill is over powered.

Well climbing tall buildings was Spot The Ledge, and although it was mildly engaging, I personally wouldn't say it met all the criteria to be called a 'game' as such - unless "Where's Wally" is considered a game.
Last edited by Thos. on 17 Jul 2013, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Thos. 45

Next