BioWare's next Mass Effect is "friendly to newcomers", new I

Your comments on our articles.

Scant morsels of insight show up on Twitter

BioWare's next Mass Effect will offer character animations of an unprecedented fidelity, while continuing its predecessor's bold experiments with non-heterosexual romance and achieving a perfect balance between accessibility and challenge. This being the preposterous account I've pieced together from the recent Twitter activities of one Yannick Roy, studio director at BioWare Montreal, among other developers. Sorry.... read more

BioWare's next Mass Effect is "friendly to newcomers", new I

Postby msbhvn » 16 Jul 2013, 11:17

Most of our core team that worked on SWKOTOR has been together throughout the Mass Effect series, and now our new IP project.

Drew Karpyshyn, who wrote KOTOR and created the Mass Effect universe, left BioWare last year. So while most of the team are there, the most important person is not. If Mac Walters, the man largely responsible for the ending of ME3, is at the helm of this game, I couldn't care less about it.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Re: BioWare's next Mass Effect is "friendly to newcomers", n

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Jul 2013, 11:37

I'm really hoping for Mass Effect: Citadel Noir to see the light of day, although not with Garrus as the lead like many people want. Give me a new private investigator to play so I can shape my own character, maybe disgraced ex-CSec, fringe dwelling citedal rat or honourably discharged soldier for starters. It should even be a fairly easy game to produce since so much of the Citadel is already well mapped and they can just flesh it out a bit and recycle existing stuff.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Jul 2013, 11:57

I'd buy that. The Citadel seems large enough to have its own game easily.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Pal Gill » 16 Jul 2013, 12:50

Lets not start a whole new debate about the ending all over again, my personal opinion wa its the journey that matters and it was a AMAZING journey and i will certainly be purchasing any more Mass Effect Games that come out without any doubt in my mind! Cant wait already! :D
Pal Gill 38

Postby Plamsa wing » 16 Jul 2013, 14:09

What if the journey is Mass Effect 2? Sure you've met some amazing characters, but by the end of ME3 it's becomes largely pointless.

They should just rename it as Mass Effect 2: Shepard's gap year.

Still want an open-world/galaxy Mass Effect RPG. Lots of exploration, DA: Origin style openings for each character, etc. Then again Bioware will end up using the "oh it's too much voice acting work" excuse for multiple player character races.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby SilentDark » 16 Jul 2013, 16:08

CunningSmile wrote:I'm really hoping for Mass Effect: Citadel Noir to see the light of day, although not with Garrus as the lead like many people want. Give me a new private investigator to play so I can shape my own character, maybe disgraced ex-CSec, fringe dwelling citedal rat or honourably discharged soldier for starters. It should even be a fairly easy game to produce since so much of the Citadel is already well mapped and they can just flesh it out a bit and recycle existing stuff.

Agreed. I love character creation in games but I really want race selection. I'd love to play as an exiled Quarian, an Asari commando, or even a Krogan mercenary.

Hang on did I just agree with you on something? Oh grud that's the first sign of the apocalypse! :lol:
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby Maximus T » 16 Jul 2013, 17:28

Anyone else think that Shepard's trilogy would make a good basis for a Lego game? :)
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Postby GracieD » 16 Jul 2013, 17:54

PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BIOWARE DO NOT DO A SPIN OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
I do not want to play as Garrus, Grunt or Liara!
I want more options to make my character my own like being able to choose my race, I do not want to be forced to play as a ex-companion.

I need to calm down a moment. :x :oops:
GracieD 14

Postby Aphasial » 16 Jul 2013, 18:02

I wouldn't mind the game being set a few hundred years in the future from mass effect 3 so the events from the 1st trilogy could be largely ignored. Make it about some proper bottom of the barrel social types. Perhaps you could be a smuggler or merc trying to make your way to infamy and fortune. An anti hero role rather than galactic saviour. See the seedy side of the galaxy, like ghettos in Omega or pirate station/planets.
Last edited by Aphasial on 16 Jul 2013, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

'These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.'
Jayne Cobb, Firefly
Aphasial 22

Postby Insaneyokel » 16 Jul 2013, 18:29

It will be interesting to see what direction they are going to take they have created a galaxy big enough :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Jul 2013, 20:22

SilentDark wrote:Hang on did I just agree with you on something? Oh grud that's the first sign of the apocalypse! :lol:

I'm scared too :shock:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 16 Jul 2013, 20:39

msbhvn wrote:Drew Karpyshyn, who wrote KOTOR and created the Mass Effect universe, left BioWare last year. So while most of the team are there, the most important person is not. If Mac Walters, the man largely responsible for the ending of ME3, is at the helm of this game, I couldn't care less about it.

I miss Drew too, but you being one who believes random internet stuff should recall 'preston weekes' saying casey Hudson locked himself in a room with mac and after some grunt-work :wink: they came up with the ending that split opinion not just mac who was lead on #2... and had a terminator bad guy...

I for one take note that a) it's saying kotor10 as in 10 year anniversary, maybe a complete frostbite redo of kotor 1 or they are taking my advice and making a new old republic set before the first game in the mandalorian wars but not as revan or meetra. Assuming it's a kotor game, but bioware, ea and the star wars license smells of kotor to me.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby msbhvn » 16 Jul 2013, 20:53

Bezza89 wrote:
msbhvn wrote:Drew Karpyshyn, who wrote KOTOR and created the Mass Effect universe, left BioWare last year. So while most of the team are there, the most important person is not. If Mac Walters, the man largely responsible for the ending of ME3, is at the helm of this game, I couldn't care less about it.

I miss Drew too, but you being one who believes random internet stuff should recall 'preston weekes' saying casey Hudson locked himself in a room with mac and after some grunt-work :wink: they came up with the ending that split opinion not just mac who was lead on #2... and had a terminator bad guy...

The same ME2 whose main plot means virtually nothing in the larger trilogy? Hudson's a PR drone, he can't have had a lot to do with the ME3 ending. If Walters was a better writer, he'd have figured out a better way to end Shepard's story.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Bezza89 » 16 Jul 2013, 20:58

For you.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Maximus T » 16 Jul 2013, 22:07

Aphasial wrote:I wouldn't mind the game being set a few hundred years in the future from mass effect 3 so the events from the 1st trilogy could be largely ignored. Make it about some proper bottom of the barrel social types. Perhaps you could be a smuggler or merc trying to make your way to infamy and fortune. An anti hero role rather than galactic saviour. See the seedy side of the galaxy, like ghettos in Omega or pirate station/planets.

I like the idea of an anti-hero, but wasn't that always the choice you got to make, Paragon or Renegade? It could be more defined if the activities and as you said background were appropriate for an anti hero character. I would also be interested in a sort of vigilante character, leading onto therefore a vigilante group (providing they keep the squad combat system). The two archetypes could probably be interwoven.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Next