to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Clowns in capes: the six worst superhero games of all time

Your comments on our articles.

Up, up and away. Preferably far, far away.

I've lost count of how many times in the past two years I've come out of a cinema, or watched a game's credits sequence roll, and felt a teensy bit pleased with myself for being a big old nerdy comic book fan. Classic Marvel and DC franchises are on the up worldwide - Batman: Arkham City has topped charts and Metacritic alike, The Walking Dead XBLA is one of the finest videogame stories out there, and The Avengers Assemble is one of the most profitable films of all time.... read more

Clowns in capes: the six worst superhero games of all time

Postby ChaoticP » 16 Jul 2013, 17:38

I actually liked Rise of the Imperfects :( . They could of definitely did better, but in concept it was great and the fights were pretty fun actually. This gen really needs more arena style fighting games come to think of it, like Powerstone, Def Jam: FFNY, and Anarchy Reigns.
ChaoticP 52

Re: Clowns in capes: the six worst superhero games of all ti

Postby Vegetunks9000 » 16 Jul 2013, 19:53

Seriously? no Superman 64? they really did erase it from people's memories.
Yes yes, over 9000, i know, i know
Vegetunks9000 33

Postby Filipus » 16 Jul 2013, 21:11

Vegetunks9000 wrote:Seriously? no Superman 64? they really did erase it from people's memories.

They quoted it so... Its not forgoten haha
Filipus 25

Postby Drainwater » 16 Jul 2013, 23:11

How about the game based on Superman Returns? I think I have to agree that Superman games are destined to fail.
Drainwater 35

Postby Christopher Dack » 17 Jul 2013, 01:30

ChaoticP wrote:I actually liked Rise of the Imperfects :( . They could of definitely did better, but in concept it was great and the fights were pretty fun actually. This gen really needs more arena style fighting games come to think of it, like Powerstone, Def Jam: FFNY, and Anarchy Reigns.

Me to , loved it in fact :)
Christopher Dack 25

Postby yunoyuluvit » 17 Jul 2013, 06:58

Scarface and the Ventriloquist, the Ratcatcher and Victor Zsasz, heroes? Surely not?
yunoyuluvit 41

Postby Roland of Gilead » 17 Jul 2013, 08:04

yunoyuluvit wrote:Scarface and the Ventriloquist, the Ratcatcher and Victor Zsasz, heroes? Surely not?

Its all relative. Maybe they're not heroes to you and I, but nameless joker thug number 4 really looks up to those guys :)

Daredevil does get a bad rap doesn't he?! (DAMN YOU AFFLECK!! *shakes fist in the air*) Though he's a lot better in the books. Frank Millers 'Born again' books were fantastic, as was Jeph Loebs Daredevil 'Yellow' and Kevin Smiths run on Guardian Devil. He deserves a good film. Just as long as they don't make the villain Stilt Man!!
Roland of Gilead 15

Postby OXM Aoife » 17 Jul 2013, 08:48

Roland of Gilead wrote:
yunoyuluvit wrote:Scarface and the Ventriloquist, the Ratcatcher and Victor Zsasz, heroes? Surely not?

Its all relative. Maybe they're not heroes to you and I, but nameless joker thug number 4 really looks up to those guys :)

Daredevil does get a bad rap doesn't he?! (DAMN YOU AFFLECK!! *shakes fist in the air*) Though he's a lot better in the books. Frank Millers 'Born again' books were fantastic, as was Jeph Loebs Daredevil 'Yellow' and Kevin Smiths run on Guardian Devil. He deserves a good film. Just as long as they don't make the villain Stilt Man!!

He's one of my favourite Marvel characters - done right, a Daredevil film could be amazing.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Aoife » 17 Jul 2013, 08:51

I'm not quite sure how I managed to write that - blaming it on the office heat and no aircon. But er, yes, as Roland of Gilead says, it's all relative...
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby yunoyuluvit » 17 Jul 2013, 09:22

OXM Aoife wrote:
Roland of Gilead wrote:

He's one of my favourite Marvel characters - done right, a Daredevil film could be amazing.

The movie rights have reverted back to Marvel, so here's hoping. To be fair the director's cut of the Affleck film is better than the theatrical release.

I'm still waiting for a decent Punisher film. A crossover with DD would be good, too.
yunoyuluvit 41

Postby mariachi2000 » 17 Jul 2013, 09:24

Now what about the BEST superhero games...?

X:Men Origins : Wolverine (Uncaged Edition) anyone ;)
mariachi2000 37

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 09:25

yunoyuluvit wrote:
OXM Aoife wrote:He's one of my favourite Marvel characters - done right, a Daredevil film could be amazing.

The movie rights have reverted back to Marvel, so here's hoping. To be fair the director's cut of the Affleck film is better than the theatrical release.

I'm still waiting for a decent Punisher film. A crossover with DD would be good, too.

Have you seen Punisher War Journal, the straight to DVD cheapy film? Its actually the best stab they've done of the character and I found it very enjoyable. They got the villian Jigsaw dead right as well.

EDIT: I actually rewatched the Catwoman film the other night (I was feeling too hot and lazy to change channels, where's my voice activated Kinect enabled console when I need it?) and was struck by the weird feeling that someone had written a Crow film, then reworked it as a Catwoman film. Either that or their only exposure to the character was watching Batman Returns and Tim Burton's own rather odd "return from the dead because of cats" take on the character.
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby yunoyuluvit » 17 Jul 2013, 11:00

CunningSmile wrote:Have you seen Punisher War Journal, the straight to DVD cheapy film? Its actually the best stab they've done of the character and I found it very enjoyable. They got the villian Jigsaw dead right as well.

EDIT: I actually rewatched the Catwoman film the other night (I was feeling too hot and lazy to change channels, where's my voice activated Kinect enabled console when I need it?) and was struck by the weird feeling that someone had written a Crow film, then reworked it as a Catwoman film. Either that or their only exposure to the character was watching Batman Returns and Tim Burton's own rather odd "return from the dead because of cats" take on the character.

I have seen it and whilst I agree that it is the best effort (Ray Stevenson and Dominic West played their parts well - go Brits!), there's something about it that I can't put my finger on that stops me from really enjoying it.

Aoife, I think you're going to have a start a whole thread on comic book movies!
yunoyuluvit 41

Postby sneakerphile » 17 Jul 2013, 16:05

When Iron Man came out, I thought "wow! What an awesome movie". Loved it!
So I thought i'd try the game. Well, I don't know what to say. If that game took more than a couple of days to come up with and make, i'd be surprised. What a total load of crap. I wish I had never played it, becasue now it is permanently in my games history of my xbox and I can't get rid of it.
It was a bad call Ripley, it was a bad call.
sneakerphile 14

Postby mistergrimm » 18 Jul 2013, 00:38

OXM Aoife wrote:

It would be interesting to see a courtroom drama/thriller Daredevil film. But I doubt anything except a high-octane blockbuster is acceptable for any superhero property in the current filmmaking climate, and Daredevil just isn't super enough to make 'splosions and stuff.
mistergrimm 33

Next