to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any government attem

Your comments on our articles.

"Microsoft does not provide any government with direct and unfettered access to our customer's data."

Microsoft's been in the news a fair bit lately on the strength of its supposed collaboration with the US National Security Agency - a Guardian report alleges that the latter is able to gather user data via Skype, Outlook and Hotmail with Microsoft's consent. The company has now released a formal statement on the matter, denying much of the report and calling on the US government to allow it "to share publicly more complete information about how we handle national security requests for customer information".... read more

Postby battfink83 » 17 Jul 2013, 10:34

Here's an idea... ditch the kinect being mandatory. This sort of forced into nonsense is no doubt whatsoever going to scare off many customers...... im one of them tbh.....
battfink83 51

Re: Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any government a

Postby phillip beasley » 17 Jul 2013, 10:39

I really want to buy an xboxone but i really dont want kinect please please give the option to disconnect for console
phillip beasley 24

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 10:45

Because I can't be bothered to type it again

CunningSmile wrote:I'm really not understanding where all the shock horror about the NSA/ MS thing comes from. Firstly why are we surprised an organisation set up to monitor communications has been monitoring communications? You'll be telling me next MI6 has been spying on foreign countries and the NHS has been treating illnesses!

Secondly I seriously doubt MS has a choice. If a government agency turns up to request the very thing they exist to request then I don't think a lot of choice is included in that 'request'. Especially not if you work in the IT field and the people making the request have a full cyber warfare unit and a reputation for holding grudges

I will add that I used to work in CCTV, and if the police arrived to collect evidence they had a nice warrent specifying what they wanted, we found it on the system and burnt them a DVD to take away after they signed to say they had received it. All nice and in accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. On the one occassion I dealt with the Security Service (MI5 to laymen) they turned up with a blanket order and walked out with our hard drive. I seriously doubt that the NSA are any fluffier.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby herdz » 17 Jul 2013, 10:49

I think people need to get a grip!!

Every government spy's on people they have been doing it for years if xbox one doesn't come with kenect do you think they are going to stop!! Get a grip you better sell your house close your bank ditch your mob ect!
There will always be a way when we have technology!!!
herdz 33

Postby juicyluce9 » 17 Jul 2013, 10:56

don't understand why people need any more explanation than this. Kinect won't be used as a 'spy device' any more than a mobile phone or web camera. If people are that paranoid, turn the Kinect to face the wall.
juicyluce9 37

Postby LethalBuddha » 17 Jul 2013, 11:12

America spying on people, nah they'd never do that!
I honestly don't think terrorists make plans to blow up America whilst playing as Russians on cod, however they could be using Splosion man as a training simulator. At the end of the day if they want to spy on me playing in my boxers then let them, in fact I'll actively send them a video with a letter saying this is what to expect.
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Postby SilentDark » 17 Jul 2013, 11:19

Personally I really don't see the point in America even spying on people. How long did it take them to catch Bin Laden? Didn't they have intelligence indicating Al Qaeda was planning on using planes pre-9/11 and do nothing with the information?

Spying on people for the sake of spying is just pointless if you ask me.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 11:34

LethalBuddha wrote:America spying on people, nah they'd never do that!
I honestly don't think terrorists make plans to blow up America whilst playing as Russians on cod, however they could be using Splosion man as a training simulator. At the end of the day if they want to spy on me playing in my boxers then let them, in fact I'll actively send them a video with a letter saying this is what to expect.

You'd probably be surprised. Several of the rebel groups prior to the Arab Dawn last year apparently met up to plan and co-ordinate in WoW, and the Chinese government has closed several MMOs within their territory because of similar groups. I guess it's less conspicuous than meeting in person and easier to arrange than video conferencing.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby FordGTGuy » 17 Jul 2013, 11:57

battfink83 wrote:Here's an idea... ditch the kinect being mandatory. This sort of forced into nonsense is no doubt whatsoever going to scare off many customers...... im one of them tbh.....

This is a terrible idea, if you get rid of mandatory Kinect you get rid of the entire point of the Kinect coming with the console in the first place. Microsoft needs to guarantee developers that every console will have a Kinect to get these developers to spend time developing features for the Kinect.

You can turn off Kinect however to the point where you can duct tape the microphones and camera and leave it behind your TV to never be used again. Kinect is also one of the things that is helping the Xbox One have a unique advantage over the PS4 that can offer something unique to gamers.

phillip beasley wrote:I really want to buy an xboxone but i really dont want kinect please please give the option to disconnect for console

No, as said before if it really makes you that paranoid turn off all the features in the system, duct tape it and leave it behind your TV.
FordGTGuy 4

Postby DonkeyWaffles » 17 Jul 2013, 12:06

What are the chances that someone will create a device to be plugged in where the Kinect is to fool the Xbone into thinking it's still connected? :P
We can stay up late, swapping manly stories, and in the morning, I'm making waffles! :D
DonkeyWaffles 34

Postby MrT666 » 17 Jul 2013, 12:16

DonkeyWaffles wrote:What are the chances that someone will create a device to be plugged in where the Kinect is to fool the Xbone into thinking it's still connected? :P

Does it actually need to be plugged in? I was hoping it was at least wireless.

We're already being spied on there's cameras on the street and nearly all of us have our personal details are all over the internet, through facebook, forums, youtube or even xbox live
MrT666 18

Postby BlackhawkTenan » 17 Jul 2013, 12:18

FordGTGuy wrote:
battfink83 wrote:Here's an idea... ditch the kinect being mandatory. This sort of forced into nonsense is no doubt whatsoever going to scare off many customers...... im one of them tbh.....

This is a terrible idea, if you get rid of mandatory Kinect you get rid of the entire point of the Kinect coming with the console in the first place. Microsoft needs to guarantee developers that every console will have a Kinect to get these developers to spend time developing features for the Kinect.

You can turn off Kinect however to the point where you can duct tape the microphones and camera and leave it behind your TV to never be used again. Kinect is also one of the things that is helping the Xbox One have a unique advantage over the PS4 that can offer something unique to gamers.

I completely Agree with you. It may not seem like it now as the first kinect was a failure of sorts, but in a few years PS4 users will be wishing they had kinect I believe, hope it becomes reality.
BlackhawkTenan 29

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jul 2013, 13:05

Whilst I have little doubt that the use of the Kinect 2.0 is highly unlikely to ever be used for such purposes, I think it fair to say that reading between the lines of everything that we thus far know and that has been explained in this article, it would be possible for the device to actively surveil someone in their living room. As a former Police Officer, I know that it could indeed be very useful, but I also know that the legal requirements to enable surveilling someone in the privacy of their own home are amongst the most stringent that we have.

The funny thing that occurred to me whilst reading this article though, arose from this quote:

... it'll only be sent on with your explicit consent.

Because I'm fairly sure that no one, in the history of surveillance, has ever given consent to be surveilled! :lol:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 17 Jul 2013, 13:25

Never liked Kinect to begin with and being forced to pay
for something I dont want and will never use is the number 1 reason
I will be switching to the PS4 for my next gen gaming.
The whole Kinect could be used to spy on me thing actually doesnt bother me
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby Roland of Gilead » 17 Jul 2013, 14:01

I swear people just copy and paste their whineing posts about mandatory kinect with xbox one. It's like a broken record... that, you read.... :? Its happening, get over it, no one on this forum let alone in Microsoft is going to lose any sleep because of a few "protest" purchases of a PS4.

As for Microsoft "aggressively challenging the NSA, I frequently challenge my two year old son to not drink my coffee, not flick dirt out of the plant pots, and not put things down the toilet, but he still does, he gets told off, and he does it again the day after. The government will do the same, they'll do whatever they like, and have the necessary paperwork if its something illegal.

The fact is, if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about.
Roland of Gilead 15

Next