to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

How Killer Instinct uses Kinect to make local multiplayer fu

Your comments on our articles.

Uses face recognition to auto-load button settings, fave characters

Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Isgreen has been banging on about how awesome Kinect is, very much in the vein of a man who works for Microsoft. According to Isgree, the game will use the sensor's face recognition feature to automatically load a bunch of settings the second you pick up the pad during local tournament play. This sounds rather... cool?... read more

How Killer Instinct uses Kinect to make local multiplayer fu

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jul 2013, 12:56

The there are two things that really strike me about Kinect 2.0, one is that Microsoft have put the device at the very heart of the One, and the other is that there are actually no Kinect 2.0 only games available at the launch of the One, which appears to me to be somewhat self-defeating.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: How Killer Instinct uses Kinect to make local multiplaye

Postby Grummy » 17 Jul 2013, 13:34

AllusiveTurtle wrote:The there are two things that really strike me about Kinect 2.0, one is that Microsoft have put the device at the very heart of the One, and the other is that there are actually no Kinect 2.0 only games available at the launch of the One, which appears to me to be somewhat self-defeating.

Does it? It seems to me that it strongly supports the position that a Kinect with every console will lead to it's use in 'proper' games rather than just more shovelware. Isn't this what people wanted?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 17 Jul 2013, 14:26

I thought Kinect Sports Rivals was a launch title...? Could be wrong though.
Chameleon 44

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jul 2013, 14:39

Grummy wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:The there are two things that really strike me about Kinect 2.0, one is that Microsoft have put the device at the very heart of the One, and the other is that there are actually no Kinect 2.0 only games available at the launch of the One, which appears to me to be somewhat self-defeating.

Does it? It seems to me that it strongly supports the position that a Kinect with every console will lead to it's use in 'proper' games rather than just more shovelware. Isn't this what people wanted?

Will lead, maybe, but from what I can gather there is no Kinect 2.0 title available at launch, which for an item that is key to the console, seems somewhat odd. Head-tracking, or gurning doesn't really count, as they are little more than gimmicks.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Chameleon » 17 Jul 2013, 15:31

Nope, I was right - who'd have thunk it?
Kinect Sports Rivals and Just Dance 2014 will be launch titles for the X1, both making full use of Kinect.
Chameleon 44

Postby Twilight Error » 17 Jul 2013, 15:35

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Will lead, maybe, but from what I can gather there is no Kinect 2.0 title available at launch, which for an item that is key to the console, seems somewhat odd. Head-tracking, or gurning doesn't really count, as they are little more than gimmicks.

Further than the Kinect Sports Rivals and Just Dance games (thank you, Chameleon), it seems like a good portion of launch titles will utilize the Kinect in some way. I think the purpose of the mandatory Kinect hardware is to blur the line between "Kinect titles" and your regular average game title. Head tracking and the like might be what they're using it for at the moment, but considering the capabilities of this new Kinect (expression tracking, heart rate monitoring, etc.), I'll be interested to see where it goes.
Twilight Error 41

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jul 2013, 16:25

Chameleon wrote:Nope, I was right - who'd have thunk it?
Kinect Sports Rivals and Just Dance 2014 will be launch titles for the X1, both making full use of Kinect.

Who'd have thunk it indeed! :D I had read that they weren't being released until 2014. Just goes to show you cannot trust anything you read on the internet! So I stand erected! :lol:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Grummy » 17 Jul 2013, 17:13

AllusiveTurtle wrote:
Will lead, maybe, but from what I can gather there is no Kinect 2.0 title available at launch, which for an item that is key to the console, seems somewhat odd. Head-tracking, or gurning doesn't really count, as they are little more than gimmicks.

I don't think so, there are games being released that use Kinect that aren't 'kinect games' and I would say this is better. I have nothing against Kinect games, but I think that showcasing how Kinect can be used on 'mainstream' games from the off is important and more valuable for them. Everyone knows what Kinect can do with Kinect games, it's in the other games where we have very little experience and if MS want Kinect to be taken more seriously, it's showing mainstream games using it well that will do it.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jul 2013, 17:17

Grummy wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:

I don't think so, there are games being released that use Kinect that aren't 'kinect games' and I would say this is better. I have nothing against Kinect games, but I think that showcasing how Kinect can be used on 'mainstream' games from the off is important and more valuable for them. Everyone knows what Kinect can do with Kinect games, it's in the other games where we have very little experience and if MS want Kinect to be taken more seriously, it's showing mainstream games using it well that will do it.

I totally agree with you, Grummy. I never used the head-tracking in Forza Horizon, but my son tried it and said it didn't really add anything to the game at all, and that is the problem I foresee, that in an effort to show just how useful Kinect 2.0 is, that it will be trust into everything and be a pointless exercise in futility. Time will no doubt tell its true worth.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Maximus T » 17 Jul 2013, 17:40

People often make the point that they do not have an empty barn to play Kinect games in anyway. With the Kinect being integrated into many "regular" games, that is an irrelevant point, as large space will not be necessary. More games will have Kinect features than be fully fledged Kinect games, and that clearly makes sense, as everyone will be able to use them.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby Pompey78 » 17 Jul 2013, 20:30

small point re kinect support/integration would be will it alignate disabled gamers?

I'm sure the same point was made when Kinect 1.0 was announced and launched but at least you had he choice to buy it or ignore it.

If all xbox ones will have kinect and so many games will support/involve kinect features will this impact (negatively) on disabled gamers?? just a thought....
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 33

Postby Maximus T » 17 Jul 2013, 22:08

Pompey78 wrote:small point re kinect support/integration would be will it alignate disabled gamers?

I'm sure the same point was made when Kinect 1.0 was announced and launched but at least you had he choice to buy it or ignore it.

If all xbox ones will have kinect and so many games will support/involve kinect features will this impact (negatively) on disabled gamers?? just a thought....

If I assume correctly that you mean physically disable gamers then the answer is no, because as I said, more games are integrating the Kinect features, not forcing them. Many games will not even use the motion control as full body tracking, focusing instead on facial expression or voice. You effectively still have the choice to ignore Kinect, but should you want to dip your toe in, the quality is there, and the sensor is there.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby Dave2123 » 19 Jul 2013, 17:12

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I totally agree with you, Grummy. I never used the head-tracking in Forza Horizon, but my son tried it and said it didn't really add anything to the game at all, and that is the problem I foresee, that in an effort to show just how useful Kinect 2.0 is, that it will be trust into everything and be a pointless exercise in futility. Time will no doubt tell its true worth.

I think the point of Kinect 2, and what they're trying to improve from Kinect 1 is that there won't just be a load of pointless, annoying, gimmicky games that no one wants to play, but Kinect will be integrated subtlely into every game. This, after all, is what people wanted. Everyone complained abut Kinect 2 being bundled with The One because of how Kinect 1 was used; rubbish games that made you do full body movements that no one liked, but I think Microsoft and developers have learned now and are going to use it in a manner that people will like, which means there won't be as many Kinect only titles, but all titles will support some minor form of Kinect. You seem to be under the impression that head tracking and small movements, for some reason, don't count, when they do. This is what everyone wanted Kinect to be used for, not full body movements like it is at the moment.
Dave2123 29

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 19 Jul 2013, 17:57

Dave2123 wrote:You seem to be under the impression that head tracking and small movements, for some reason, don't count, when they do. This is what everyone wanted Kinect to be used for, not full body movements like it is at the moment.

But head-tracking added nothing to the game, at least nothing worthwhile, and whilst I accept that 2.0 is likely to be far better, even the voice commands for 1.0 were pointless because they so often didn't do what was wanted resulting in a button press to sort out whatever it had done wrong. For 2.0 to be successfully integrated into mainstream games (i.e. not fully body movement), it needs to be subtle and add sufficiently to make its inclusion something to be grateful for. I cannot think of anything from 1.0 or anything that has thus far been shown for 2.0 that makes me think that they can find a way to integrate it successfully into mainstream games. I think 2.0 needs to prove that it merits being in every box, because not all of us want to (or are able to) prance around to weird music or kick imaginary balls, and so whatever they do needs to be a bit more substantial than a slightly tilting camera as you race around a track.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Grummy » 19 Jul 2013, 18:52

Dave2123 wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:I totally agree with you, Grummy. I never used the head-tracking in Forza Horizon, but my son tried it and said it didn't really add anything to the game at all, and that is the problem I foresee, that in an effort to show just how useful Kinect 2.0 is, that it will be trust into everything and be a pointless exercise in futility. Time will no doubt tell its true worth.

I think the point of Kinect 2, and what they're trying to improve from Kinect 1 is that there won't just be a load of pointless, annoying, gimmicky games that no one wants to play, but Kinect will be integrated subtlely into every game. This, after all, is what people wanted. Everyone complained abut Kinect 2 being bundled with The One because of how Kinect 1 was used; rubbish games that made you do full body movements that no one liked, but I think Microsoft and developers have learned now and are going to use it in a manner that people will like, which means there won't be as many Kinect only titles, but all titles will support some minor form of Kinect. You seem to be under the impression that head tracking and small movements, for some reason, don't count, when they do. This is what everyone wanted Kinect to be used for, not full body movements like it is at the moment.

No. A lot of people wanted Kinect to be so much more than just motion control. From day one I've been far more interested in what the voice recognition could do
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Next