to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One: 15 things you need to know

Your comments on our articles.

More irreverent commentary from Log and Gav

Sick of hearing about the Xbox One yet? Weary of our unrelenting deluge of next gen news? Ah, but we've saved up the best details for last in the form of the below video, created by Log and Gav "Village Bicycle" Murphy, Future's roaming video producer.... read more

Xbox One: 15 things you need to know

Postby s17pur » 17 Jul 2013, 14:54

I just want to know if my Fanatec CSR Steering Wheel (Forza branded) bought less than 18 months ago for £350+ will work on Xbox One. Sony have confirmed current-gen performance wheels will work on PS4 and I'd like to see Microsoft follow suit. There are loads of threads on the Xbox site about this, and Fanatec themselves have confirmed they're looking for a solution, but Microsoft don't seem to want to comment. I'm in next-gen limbo until I hear one way or another!
s17pur 20

Re: Xbox One: 15 things you need to know

Postby Plamsa wing » 17 Jul 2013, 15:10

Quick, let the people know!

If there is one thing I'd like to know, it's whether or not the Xbox One can make tea. Good tea mind.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jul 2013, 15:15

The whole "ZOMG it can do partial install play" thing annoys the hell out of me, because we've known about it for ages. It's saying something about the state of Xbox One PR that Microsoft's having to re-announce features weeks after revealing the console itself...

http://www.oxm.co.uk/54385/xbox-one-spe ... w-console/
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 15:22

OXM ETboy wrote:The whole "ZOMG it can do partial install play" thing annoys the hell out of me, because we've known about it for ages. It's saying something about the state of Xbox One PR that Microsoft's having to re-announce features weeks after revealing the console itself...

http://www.oxm.co.uk/54385/xbox-one-spe ... w-console/

I was about to say I remember you guys reporting that if not after the reveal than certainly after E3.

I think my girlfriend put it perfectly when I told her about the petition "For god's sake Microsoft just grow a pair. It's not our job to tell you what to make because we don't know what the options are. It's your job to convince us to buy what you offer!"

E3 should have been 2 hours of "This is great, here's all the good stuff." Instead we got two hours of negatives and then months of them trying to turn it around, and often repeating stuff that got lost in the mess.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Twilight Error » 17 Jul 2013, 15:52

I'd really like to hear some kind of confirmation from Microsoft that the Azure cloud servers will in fact act as dedicated servers for not just Titanfall, but for every multiplayer game on the Xbox One. An article in Wired magazine made this statement (and a few similar off-the-cuff comments have been heard and read in various places), but I have yet to hear any kind of confirmation from the source.

Dedicated servers certainly seem plausible, considering the availability of the Azure system, but if the use of the system were mandatory for every multiplayer game -- and not just optional -- this would definitely be news worth touting as an advantage over their competitors.
Twilight Error 43

Postby Chameleon » 17 Jul 2013, 16:25

All joking aside, is there anything in particular you really want to know about Xbox One at this point?

How was that family sharing thingy going to work? :D
Chameleon 44

Postby Starskream » 17 Jul 2013, 21:18

The only thing I need to know is, since I'm now living in France am I going to have to import my games from the UK to get them in English? At the moment the Xbox games in France are only available in french which is pretty bad for me even though I speak french there is no way I'm willing to listen to that disgusting and inferior language while trying to enjoy playing a game. I have a PS3 as well as an Xbox and the majority of the games on it let you choose what language you want for the game so I would assume it all boils down to space on the disk and since the Xbox 360 uses DVDs they maybe don't have enough room for multiple languages.

This is something that will really make a difference to my decision of what console to actually buy. I've already pre-ordered an Xbox and I would prefer to buy it but if its going to be a bother to get games in English here then I will more than likely go for the PS4 instead. So does anyone know how this will work on the new generation of consoles?
Starskream 42

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 21:37

Not sure about language options Skream as nothing has been said but I know they've removed the region locking on the One so worst comes to the worst either buy mail order from here or register your profile in the UK and download
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Starskream » 18 Jul 2013, 09:21

Iv'e always had an Xbox 360 that I bought in France so even if the region was locked I could still play games from the UK since its PAL but as with most people who are into games I like to have my new games on the day of release. That wouldn't be possible here if I ordered from the UK as French post takes ages (Im assuming they are usually too busy eating baguettes to deliver much mail) I've actually tried emailing customer support last night and hopefully I will get some sort of answer soon but I'm not holding much hope that they will even know how it will work.

As for the profile mine has always been a UK profile but I recently had to change my region over to France because I couldn't buy any of the games on sale from the UK. It did actually work out better for me doing that as I paid with MS points and it was cheaper when I switched over the France for some odd reason. Also the games on demand are all in English and if you want them in another language you need to download an additional language pack so im sure downloading the digital versions On Xbox One will be the same though my internet here is pretty poor. I went from having 70MB fibre in Northern Ireland to only 6MB DSL over here and it took nearly 7 hours to get Assassins Creed 3. I dread to think what size a digital game for the Xbox One will be.
Starskream 42

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Jul 2013, 10:01

7 Hours! That stings a bit
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby sarge2u » 18 Jul 2013, 10:28

I think oxm really are starting to run out of ideas. Putting trash video sounding like a piss take or put down of the xbox one.
I have noticed its the same with Ign page too. I think more possative news should be coming from at least Oxm.
sarge2u 31

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Jul 2013, 10:34

sarge2u wrote:I think oxm really are starting to run out of ideas. Putting trash video sounding like a piss take or put down of the xbox one.
I have noticed its the same with Ign page too. I think more possative news should be coming from at least Oxm.

OXM, and particularly Log, have a long track record of doing piss take videos and I think this is more aimed at the baseless rumour mongering on the internet rather than putting down the One. Besides which they've done a large number of articles praising the One and extolling its virtues, often reporting on things that other sites don't bother commenting on until weeks later.

I think a better sense of humour, or at least a bit of tolerance to others sense of humour, may be an idea.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Jul 2013, 10:53

I was going to watch that film last weekend Cunning, but the vote went to galaxy quest instead.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Jul 2013, 10:55

FishyGinger wrote:I was going to watch that film last weekend Cunning, but the vote went to galaxy quest instead.

Both classics, and both not as successful as they deserve.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 18 Jul 2013, 12:05

I haven't seen that film for years! I love it - but my wife doesn't. So I don't watch it. :oops:
Edit: Not Galaxy Quest - the other one. GQ is... not so good. IMO.
Chameleon 44

Next