to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Square Enix: without "deeper AI", next gen graphics will "di

Your comments on our articles.

Photorealistic characters need more smarts, smarter animation

Characters that merely look real aren't "next gen" enough for Julien Merceron, Square Enix's worldwide technology director - to escape the infamous uncanny valley effect, developers need to work on more natural, responsive AI and animations.... read more

Re: Square Enix: without "deeper AI", next gen graphics will

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jul 2013, 18:34

What was your original comment about?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 17 Jul 2013, 19:05

Sorry, that was me, I just came over all silly for a moment. All I could think about was Brian from Family Guy singing 'Peanut Butter Jelly Time'. I got distracted by a wailing baby before I could mention it though :s :oops:
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 17 Jul 2013, 19:11

Maybe just quoting the user and adding your humourous comment would suffice rather than editing users comments? :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 17 Jul 2013, 19:13

KernowDevil23 wrote:Maybe just quoting the user and adding your humourous comment would suffice rather than editing users comments? :lol:

Can I go back and pretend I meant to but clicked edit instead of quote by mistake?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jul 2013, 20:02

Lol, you crazy kids. No hard feelings I hope, lazer.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 20:43

lazercut123 wrote:On another note, how do you actually become a moderator?

You get recruited at University, preferably one of the big ones, specially chosen for language skills or ability to rapidly analyse data. A back ground in the armed forces is useful especially one of the elite regiments, as is a minimum of family attachments.

Or is that MI6? I always get those two confused
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Jul 2013, 20:46

Pretty sure that's a prostitute cunning, or at least the ones I go for.

Wait were you doing a ministry of defence joke?
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby SilentDark » 17 Jul 2013, 20:56

CunningSmile wrote:

You get recruited at University, preferably one of the big ones, specially chosen for language skills or ability to rapidly analyse data. A back ground in the armed forces is useful especially one of the elite regiments, as is a minimum of family attachments.

A rather disturbing image entered my head then. CunningSmile: International Man of Mystery. :lol:
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 21:02

Why do you think I'm such a fan of the Project Clarity Observation System...sorry I mean Kinect :wink:
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 17 Jul 2013, 21:08

CunningSmile wrote:

I had a friend send me a random email that infused me with all of Microsofts secrets and I was forced to become a moderator so they could watch over me and keep me safe. Cunning and Kernow are my OXM handlers.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Hollg » 17 Jul 2013, 22:19

A.I. has got to become better for games. An increase in graphics quality is always welcome, but dumb A.I. Can ruin a game. The problem has always been processor speed and memory. I'm looking forward to the cloud computing helping with A.I. Another step forward from Microsoft.

Point of moderators changing or deleting posts. If they were consistent then it wouldnt be so bad, unfortunately OXM seems to have a rogue inexperienced moderator that is not consistent and feels it necessary to allow some posts but delete similar posts, and just altering someone's post for the sake of it is just ridiculous. Sometimes it seems moderators need moderating.
Hollg 29

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 22:39

Bear with us, we're both new at this and still trying to work out how to do the job and be consistent both with ourselves and each other.

Plus we're volunteers and you get what you pay for :wink:
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Drainwater » 17 Jul 2013, 23:08

I can't say I've ever felt repelled by a videogame character on the strength of it not-quite-resembling a human being. How about you?

Maybe not video game characters...not yet at least. I do think some games have skirted the line a bit, but it'll be much easier to hit that line if graphics are still improving in the next gen (which they obviously are).

I don't think the problem will be AI so much as the motion capture for facial expressions. I think the problem will be having semi-realistic looking faces with very unrealistic looking expressions. This is why so many games have the "bland characters" criticism leveled at them...the animators go out of their way to keep their characters' faces within the realm of credibility that they're actually to the point of expressionless.

They pretty much have walking and running motion capture down pat, though, which is another area the "Valley" can trip up CG animation. A good example of both problems, in my opinion, is the movie Polar Express.
Drainwater 35

Postby Grummy » 18 Jul 2013, 01:53

Hollg wrote:A.I. has got to become better for games. An increase in graphics quality is always welcome, but dumb A.I. Can ruin a game. The problem has always been processor speed and memory. I'm looking forward to the cloud computing helping with A.I. Another step forward from Microsoft.

Point of moderators changing or deleting posts. If they were consistent then it wouldnt be so bad, unfortunately OXM seems to have a rogue inexperienced moderator that is not consistent and feels it necessary to allow some posts but delete similar posts, and just altering someone's post for the sake of it is just ridiculous. Sometimes it seems moderators need moderating.

There isn't a stringent rule set of 'this is good, this is bad' we have general rules and stick to them, but the rest of it we have to go with our instincts really. The thing is, all of us have different tolerance levels for different things and different ways to approach it. My actions are consistent for myself, but may be different from the others, that's just the way it goes. If ever you feel that one of us has been harsh, by all means send a pm and ask and it will be explained to you clearly. One thing you can be sure of, we have a goal of how we want this site to be and how we like our members to act and we are all consistent with that ideal, it's just our individual methods may be slightly different.

As for the editing someones post 'for the sake of it', in this particular instance, it was done for the sake of amusement, nothing else, moderators we may be, but we're not stopping being people and wanting to be friendly and have fun here, that won't change. I may have gotten distracted and forgot to explain myself, but once he knew why, I'm sure Lazer appreciated that it was meant in jest, not at all serious. As for other edits, I can't speak for others, but I edit posts where I feel it needs to be done and explain to people why.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator