How Project Spark on Xbox One is building for the industry's

Your comments on our articles.

Ed attends the Kodu Kup finals, and learns about plans to get a new generation involved

Xbox One world create 'em up Project Spark isn't just some throwaway Minecraft-esque novelty, designed to prove that Microsoft's serious about both the ostensibly popular Xbox SmartGlass app and free thinking at large in game design. It's not just an idiot-proof way to make friends with a rock, by endowing that rock with a brain, background music and super-robotic powers, using a tablet or phone. Project Spark is the latest manifestation of one of Microsoft's less-sung agendas: to make games so easy to develop and share, a child could pull it off.... read more

How Project Spark on Xbox One is building for the industry's

Postby TronZler » 17 Jul 2013, 19:19

WOW,i can only say WOW! I really wish schools in my day had that opportunity,or even schools now as i bet my son hasn't been offered this!? Is this just open for a selection of schools Ed?
I've been gaming since gaming started an that was the reason i took computing at high school,then when reality hit an i saw it was all about computer programming language an code,i felt a bit meh! So i never bothered learning it. Closest i got to this industry was a job as a games tester but i never got that either. *violins*
I would have loved to have learnt in the way thats shown here though,and did i read that right an you can buy that toolkit on xbox indie ed? An if so,what would you say you can get out of it,productively speaking with a rather large imagination?? :P

Either way i'm definatly into checking out this Project Spark,could be the start of a wonderfull or rocky relationship. :D
TronZler 23

Re: How Project Spark on Xbox One is building for the indust

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jul 2013, 20:58

@Tron

Kodu is indeed available on XBL indie as we speak. I've tried it out and it's a fairly simple to understand piece of kit even if like me you have no idea about this stuff. Gives you a few basics such as how to position scenery and basic AI and you build from there. The end result may not be very attractive but the getting there is quite fun, and I know a couple of people who've used it as a parent/child activity.

Project Spark is the next generation version on the One and takes in SmartGlass and Kinect to produce some really spectacular results. Check out the article on launch games for some more blurb and photos
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jul 2013, 21:01

Glad you like the sound of it, Tron - you can also get it on PC for free, I think. As regards what sort of games you can get out of it, have a look at that portfolio link at the end of the article - lots of fun stuff through there.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Plamsa wing » 17 Jul 2013, 22:16

Really looking forward to that Project Spark. Doesn't it have a multiplayer/co-op option? Can't remember if it did or not.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby TronZler » 18 Jul 2013, 21:47

@ Cunning

Cheers for your knowledge sharing of the tool kit itself. Its always good to hear from someone thats used it an has experience. I'm not too sure yet if i should get it,maybe as a bit of background help for myself,before unleashing into Project Spark with no experience whatsoever. More i think about it i probably will get it to see how i get on.

@Ed

Somehow i managed to miss the second page of this article yesterday Ed or i wouldn't have asked what you could get out it. I see perfectly clearly through that link on page 2 now whats acheivable,thanks again though for pointing me to it.
TronZler 23