to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Lionhead: Microsoft is "passionate" about indies on Xbox One

Your comments on our articles.

"Oh, I think you'll find he's coming."

Microsoft will discuss its relationship with independent developers at forthcoming press events, Lionhead's creative director Gary Carr has revealed to OXM, in what could be a sign that the manufacturer's stance is shifting as regards Xbox One's publishing policies. We'll also hear more "very soon" from Phil Harrison, former Sony Worldwide Studios president, who's now in charge of Microsoft's European developer relations.... read more

Lionhead: Microsoft is "passionate" about indies on Xbox One

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Jul 2013, 11:25

I don't mind having the big players like the Sonys, the Microsofts, the Amazons

Did I miss something? When did Amazon start developing and publishing games? I know they've branched out into TV production so has he let slip an industry secret?

As for indies I'll call it now: MS are about to announce an indie partnership division so small developers can publish more freely without MS sacrificing the quality.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Lionhead: Microsoft is "passionate" about indies on Xbox

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Jul 2013, 11:36

I'm all stoked for a big old Harrison love-in. Give it to us, Harrison. Work your magic. Wear a top hat.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby THWIP71 » 18 Jul 2013, 12:07

CunningSmile wrote:
I don't mind having the big players like the Sonys, the Microsofts, the Amazons

Did I miss something? When did Amazon start developing and publishing games? I know they've branched out into TV production so has he let slip an industry secret?

As for indies I'll call it now: MS are about to announce an indie partnership division so small developers can publish more freely without MS sacrificing the quality.

LOL...yeah, I'd say you "missed something". Amazon is a HUGE publisher for indies....be it authors or musicians, and soon games. They launched http://games.amazon.com/ almost a year ago. If you aren't a big Amazon follower/customer, you might not realize just what a juggernaut they have become. I'm guessing you didn't know they lease Netflix their server space either.
THWIP71 8

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Jul 2013, 12:25

Cheers. I'm a huge Amazon customer and knew about the indie authors (I know someone who has been signed by them, and another forum regular has just self published her first book through them) and music but never saw the Amazon Games launch so thanks for the link.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby skellen79 » 18 Jul 2013, 12:58

Wear a top hat? Ha, classic
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and where ever truth, love and laughter abide, I will be there in spirit.
Bill Hicks 1961-1994
skellen79 20

Postby Plamsa wing » 18 Jul 2013, 14:22

It'll probably never happen now, but I'd still like to see Oddworld on the Xbox. Even the Wii U is getting New n' Tasty. :cry:
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Dave2123 » 18 Jul 2013, 19:22

I think it's very wise of Microsoft to want to stop self publishing, because to paraphrase Microsoft's quote in this article: "Most Indie games are shit and hardly anyone plays them." I consider myself to be quite a hardcore gamer; more so than anyone else I know, but I've never been on the Xbox Live store or XBLA or the Indie section or any of those things and have never spent money through Xbox Live. The majority of people who own Xboxs don't even know about the Indie section, let alone actually go on it, let alone actually see anything they want to buy.

What I understand from reading this article is that Microsoft want Indie games, but they also don't want any old game that's been made, in case it's not very good, so they're trying to find a way to monitor and possibly approve certain games if they think their good enough. This, I believe, is a good move. It will immensely improve the quality of games that are available online.
Dave2123 29

Postby SilentDark » 18 Jul 2013, 20:01

But who would make that call about whether a game is bad or good, and such a thing is in the eye of the beholder anyway. One person's opinion is no more or less valid than any others. Saying "we don't want to allow self-publishing because we don't want rubbish games on our system" is really stupid because can anyone honestly say that there are absolutely no terrible games on the xbox, or any games console at all? If big name developers and publishers are allowed to put out rubbish games then why hold indie devs to a higher standard?
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Jul 2013, 20:05

@ dave

The indie section isn't really worth the hassle (although there are a few good games on there) but you have to check out XBLA. Some of the best games of the generation are on there at a fraction of the price of a full retail release. Not sure what you like but a quick google search should find any number of top 10 and top 20 articles
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby brodi19 » 22 Jul 2013, 00:16

can anyone tell me is the indie store avaible in the republic of ireland or is it mainly the uk?
brodi19 1