to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dynasty Warriors 8 Interactive

Your comments on our articles.

With Dynasty Warriors, the world is split into enthusiasts and the sneering indifferent. So is this review. What do you think of the Dynasty Warriors series, then?

... read more

Dynasty Warriors 8 Interactive

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Jul 2013, 11:04

Sid was looking forward to this review but has now left on his world travels but did ask someone to ask this question on his behalf:

SidTheSloth wrote:I'm not about tomorrow so can someone ask the question/fire something up in the Dynasty Warriors review about the terrible slowdown that's being encountered? I'm guessing the review will go live tomorrow in any case, it launches and know it was/is embargoed until then (which is ridiculous when the launch/embargo for the US was Tuesday) so guessing the OXM people will chuck it up.

Read the review in the mag and it makes no mention of any performance issues, but there's reporting of widespread problems with the 360 version, OXM US kicked the crap out of it in their review for the slowdown, and also because it's DW and they're dirty heathens. Word on the street is that the PS3 version (which it was actually developed for) doesn't suffer in anywhere near the same way which is shite as my copy dispatched yesterday for th'xbox. There's talk of a patch coming but nothing concrete so may well be too late for me, but maybe it'll help the two others who may be considering picking it up!

"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Re: Dynasty Warriors 8 Interactive

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Jul 2013, 11:25

Log and Adam say nay - the only technical issues they've run into are lengthy load breaks. Could be that there's a difference between our review code and the retail release, though. I wonder if installing it makes a difference?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby PonderingWalrus » 19 Jul 2013, 12:24

The fact this has received such a high score has literally blown my mind. Might actually get it, I used to rather enjoy the Dynasty Warriors 4 and 5 games.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Jul 2013, 12:55

PonderingWalrus wrote:The fact this has received such a high score has literally blown my mind.

Tell me about it. Log was supposed to be The Guy Who Hates It, but ended up becoming The Guy Who Thinks It's Sort Of All Right.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SilentDark » 19 Jul 2013, 12:59

First Cunning and I agree not just once, but twice, and now Dynasty Warriors gets a high score. This is truly the end of days. :lol:
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Maximus T » 19 Jul 2013, 22:38

I prefer the old style of interactive review where there were more boxes to tick, and gave a more personalised score. (will we get more of those?) However this does have its perks as it can go in the magazine!
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jul 2013, 00:00

Maximus T wrote:I prefer the old style of interactive review where there were more boxes to tick, and gave a more personalised score. (will we get more of those?) However this does have its perks as it can go in the magazine!

I think was in the mag originally which is why it's a bit simpler than most of the interactive reviews
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Jonty » 20 Jul 2013, 11:46

CunningSmile wrote:
Maximus T wrote:I prefer the old style of interactive review where there were more boxes to tick, and gave a more personalised score. (will we get more of those?) However this does have its perks as it can go in the magazine!

I think was in the mag originally which is why it's a bit simpler than most of the interactive reviews

That's the one. Plus, Dynasty Warriors tends to be fans vs. everybody else so we only did a binary option, although Log ruined the masterplan by actually liking it. Bloody reviewers.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby SidTheSloth » 06 Aug 2013, 18:55

Cheers Cunning for posting my plop into this, for the two of you who care, the slowdown was indeed dreadful. I stop short of using the term gamebreaking because everyone has different tolerances for that sort of stuff. It's all been patched up now and is funky dory as i understand it (which is plop as i now can't play it), but the PS3 version is still marginally the better port so if you're not fussy then i'd suggest going for that (especially as the add-ons are all but guaranteed for that, but 50-50 at best for 360).

I look forward to finishing this at a future date, it's more of the same, but probably the best/most complete version since 4/5 (depending on your tastes!).

Kudos on the review too ladies and gents, far too many publications see the 'Warriors' logo, play it for a couple of hours, regurgitate the marketing blurb from the back of the box and slap a five on it, of course i know/expect better from the fine OXM folk! :)

I've no doubt Samurai/Dynasty Warriors will appear on next-gen (indeed i believe Samurai Warriors has already been mooted for Q1/Q2 2014 in Japan - but thats either going to be a PS3/360 title or PS4 exclusive seeing as the One isn't landing over there until much later?!), just curious to see the 'technical leap' it'll have made (or not!) :D No doubt i'll still buy them and love them in any case!
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Aug 2013, 20:41

Yay Sid's here! Quick close the door before he escapes again!
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator