Kinect can read sign language - Microsoft Research trailers

Your comments on our articles.

Fluent in American and Chinese, "has potential for all varieties of sign language"

Microsoft Research has prototyped a new application for Kinect - the ability to convert sign language into on-screen text, with American and Chinese language support. That's current generation Kinect, yes. And next generation Kinect? Most like, it'll be able to recognise the chemical signals that come together into thoughts, saving you the trouble of actually thinking them.... read more

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Jul 2013, 11:43

Kinect 1 couldn't tell the difference between me and my dog if we were both in the field of view together (although watching a Just Dance character try to scratch behind it's ear with it's foot provided some laughs) and yet it can read sign language? Kinect 2 supposedly has a better set of cameras and can detect individual fingers so that I'll believe but if they've got this running on the current one it isn't an off the shelf job.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby T-meredith » 19 Jul 2013, 11:47

FLUENT IN AMERICAN?? What do America have their own language now? We all speak English hahaha
T-meredith 17

Re: Kinect can read sign language - Microsoft Research trail

Postby Twoeyediain » 19 Jul 2013, 11:49

Actually American sign language is different to the UK's.

so yeah, they do...
Twoeyediain 20

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Jul 2013, 11:51

T-meredith wrote:FLUENT IN AMERICAN?? What do America have their own language now? We all speak English hahaha

Not true. American Sign Language (ASL) is actually closer to French than to British Sign Language. The Australian's also have a unique version that isn't understandable by speakers of either ASL or BSL.

EDIT: Twoey beat me to it
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby T-meredith » 19 Jul 2013, 11:55

Oh...thankyou for making me feel stupid.
T-meredith 17

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 19 Jul 2013, 12:31

This, for me, is where the Kinect sensor proves its true worth, and again it is outside of gaming. As a Custody Sergeant, it forever used to rile me that we paid £1000's every day to interpreters (more often than not for them representing people who were perfectly able to communicate in English, but who instead chose to play the system), however we did occasionally get deaf and mute people in custody, but far more often I met them as victims. Having the ability to hold an instantaneous conversation with a deaf person, through the Kinect sensor (albeit in the Police Station) would potentially save hundreds of thousands of pounds for the tax-payer and the Police every single year. This is the sort of application for the device which really impresses me.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby msbhvn » 19 Jul 2013, 14:22

Not exactly on topic, but a few months back I saw a video where a young woman did a sign language interpretation of Cee Lo Green's song F*** You. I almost suffocated, I laughed so hard.

Just found it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3tadz5Q3o (obviously NSFW for language)
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Grummy » 19 Jul 2013, 14:35

msbhvn wrote:Not exactly on topic, but a few months back I saw a video where a young woman did a sign language interpretation of Cee Lo Green's song F*** You. I almost suffocated, I laughed so hard.

Just found it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3tadz5Q3o (obviously NSFW for language)

You should look at the one for 'put a donk on it' stupid ass song, but the sign language is hilarious.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Dave2123 » 19 Jul 2013, 14:38

CunningSmile wrote:Kinect 1 couldn't tell the difference between me and my dog if we were both in the field of view together (although watching a Just Dance character try to scratch behind it's ear with it's foot provided some laughs) and yet it can read sign language? Kinect 2 supposedly has a better set of cameras and can detect individual fingers so that I'll believe but if they've got this running on the current one it isn't an off the shelf job.

That's what I figured. I haven't used or seen any videos of Kinect 1, but I've seen videos of Kinect 2 and this is definitely possible with that. Also, you won't have to worry about your dog next time as Kinect 2 can track multiple people at once, although it might think you and your dog are competing in a dance competition?? Would still be funny to watch though.
Dave2123 29

Postby msbhvn » 19 Jul 2013, 14:49

Grummy wrote:You should look at the one for 'put a donk on it' stupid ass song, but the sign language is hilarious.

Thanks for that. The woman doing the sign language got really into it! :lol:

But now I have a headache from laughing so hard. :(
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Artem Tsarionov » 20 Jul 2013, 00:45

Wow. Simply wow.
Artem Tsarionov 7