to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

New Ryse character details and screens - read the comic, unl

Your comments on our articles.

Crytek and Microsoft unveil Sword of Damocles graphic novel

Stop the presses - the one and only Boudica, surely history's most hands-on queen, has made it into Xbox One exclusive Ryse: Son of Rome, along with the Christian-bothering Roman Emperor Nero. That's according to a sheet of character details released at Comic-Con last night, which accompany new screenshots. Have at 'em.... read more

New Ryse character details and screens - read the comic, unl

Postby ChaoticP » 19 Jul 2013, 11:47

Story sounds like it will shape up to be pretty interesting.
ChaoticP 47

Re: New Ryse character details and screens - read the comic,

Postby Gazisdaman » 19 Jul 2013, 12:09

Why did I even assumed that this would have a shred of historical authenticity?
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Jul 2013, 12:23

Hurrah, after the redcoat slaughter of AC3 we can now bash Celts heads in with hammers!

On a more serious note the game certainly looks impressive, but as Yahtzee pointed out it does look quite a lot like a modern shooter title but with historical setting - hopefully they'll vary it a bit more so it's more than just a FPS with hammers
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby ChaoticP » 19 Jul 2013, 12:38

FPS with hammers? are we still talking about Ryse?
ChaoticP 47

Postby AlexBolton » 19 Jul 2013, 14:52

In regards to Nero, pretty sure he did not have any legitimate children!
AlexBolton 18

Postby Aphasial » 19 Jul 2013, 16:53

AlexBolton wrote:In regards to Nero, pretty sure he did not have any legitimate children!

He had a daughter who died as a baby.

As for the sons, I think they're entirely made up. There was no Roman governor of Britain called Commodus at that time (correct me if I'm wrong) and I've never heard of a Basillius.

As for Boudica, I don't think anyone knows who her father was but he had nothing to do with her uprising. The Iceni were allies of Rome until Boudica's husband's death. Once he died, the Romans tried to absorb Iceni lands into the Province and she resisted. Her rebellion was a result of her punishment for resisting the Romans in the first place.

It looks like Ryse is following the tradition of the film Gladiator and the series Spartacus. Maybe historical fact isn't deemed exciting enough for a game but I thought it would make for great action. In the final battle, if the historical accounts are to be believed, several thousand Romans faced and defeated an army of over 200000 Britons. To me that would make a hell of a level in a game.

Nevermind, I enjoyed Gladiator and Spartacus, so I reckon I'll still enjoy Ryse :)

'These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.'
Jayne Cobb, Firefly
Aphasial 21

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 20 Jul 2013, 02:18

No Bigus Dickus or Incontinentia Buttocks! Call this a stowy of Wome? :shock:
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby AlexBolton » 20 Jul 2013, 09:55

Aphasial wrote:
AlexBolton wrote:In regards to Nero, pretty sure he did not have any legitimate children!

He had a daughter who died as a baby.

As for the sons, I think they're entirely made up. There was no Roman governor of Britain called Commodus at that time (correct me if I'm wrong) and I've never heard of a Basillius.

As for Boudica, I don't think anyone knows who her father was but he had nothing to do with her uprising. The Iceni were allies of Rome until Boudica's husband's death. Once he died, the Romans tried to absorb Iceni lands into the Province and she resisted. Her rebellion was a result of her punishment for resisting the Romans in the first place.

It looks like Ryse is following the tradition of the film Gladiator and the series Spartacus. Maybe historical fact isn't deemed exciting enough for a game but I thought it would make for great action. In the final battle, if the historical accounts are to be believed, several thousand Romans faced and defeated an army of over 200000 Britons. To me that would make a hell of a level in a game.

Nevermind, I enjoyed Gladiator and Spartacus, so I reckon I'll still enjoy Ryse :)

Yeah im not too fussed to be honest as long as the game itself is enjoyable, I can forgive the poor accuracy!
AlexBolton 18