to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Buy 20 Xbox One games for £39 each, including Watch Do

Your comments on our articles.

Update - Watch out, Play-Asia offer excludes additional fees

One of the nicer consequences of Microsoft's much-trumpeted Xbox One-80 is that the console is region free. No longer will us puny Brits have to pay through the nose for games our former colonial subjects get to enjoy for a mere $60, or roundabouts £39. Thanks to the magic of importing, you can cut VAT, tariffs and the like out of the equation, thus saving £10-15 to spend on, for instance, the latest issue of OXM! Which is available now from all self-respecting newsagents and some non-self-respecting newsagents too. You could even buy two - one to read, one to be seen with.... read more

Postby MrXBob » 19 Jul 2013, 12:17

Then you have to pay overseas shipping. Then import duty. Then wait maybe a week or two for it to arrive.

By the end of it you've saved pennies, if you're lucky - but it's more likely that you've paid more than simply buying in the UK with free launch-day shipping.
MrXBob 40

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Jul 2013, 12:17

slow news day you say?

Can we have some office footage of you guys larking about then?
That we you can have fun and we get entertained :wink:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Buy 20 Xbox One games for £39 each, including Watc

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 19 Jul 2013, 12:23

MrXBob wrote:Then you have to pay overseas shipping. Then import duty. Then wait maybe a week or two for it to arrive.

By the end of it you've saved pennies, if you're lucky - but it's more likely that you've paid more than simply buying in the UK with free launch-day shipping.

My thoughts exactly! I think Import Duty starts at anything costing over £18, and when the Postie stands on your doorstep, you have to pay the Post Office a sum of money (cannot remember exactly what it is, somewhere between £1 and £3) for the privilege of them collecting the Import Duty.

The real advantage of importing is when you get something that would otherwise not have been available on these shores, and over the lifetime of the 360 there have been a fair few.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby silentbazz » 19 Jul 2013, 12:26

MrXBob wrote:Then you have to pay overseas shipping. Then import duty. Then wait maybe a week or two for it to arrive.

It does help if you read the article before jumping in with two feet:
"The below from Play-Asia are delivered free"
silentbazz 32

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Jul 2013, 12:27

It's too hot to lark around. The best I can do is mooch.

@MrXBob

Shipping's free, apparently, but I take your point on import duty. Funny, I've ordered things from abroad before but I've never had to pay that. I guess it's the Hong Kong factor. I'll edit the piece.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Jul 2013, 12:31

If they offer the option tick gift since HMRC doesn't charge import tax on gifts. You can even get it gift wrapped if you're feeling festive.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 19 Jul 2013, 12:40

OXM ETboy wrote:It's too hot to lark around. The best I can do is mooch.

@MrXBob

Shipping's free, apparently, but I take your point on import duty. Funny, I've ordered things from abroad before but I've never had to pay that. I guess it's the Hong Kong factor. I'll edit the piece.

I misread your comment for a moment Edwin, for a moment I thought you were smooching with MrXBob.... :lol:

As for the Import fees, I think it actually depends on the size of the package as to the likelihood of the contents being queried. Basically, I have been caught out with items just over the £18 Import limit when the item is fairly sizable, but got away with it when the item is much more valuable, but much smaller. I think it comes down to luck to a degree, but it is the case that you are more likely to be lucky with smaller items such as DVDs and games, but you do need to be aware that you could get caught out. And as Cunning says, where you can, you try to tick gift because I think that effectively removes it from being liable for Import Duty.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Jul 2013, 12:56

I've just looked and although they offer a gift wrap service there doesn't seem to be a tick box for gift like Amazon have. I've emailed them to ask if getting the shipping label marked like this is an option.

I've got a mate who buys most of his 360 games from Play-Asia and says he's been stung for tax a few times but not often.

He also directed me to www.videogamesplus.ca who are a Canadian company offering preorders for £37. I've also emailed them to query shipping and gift status so I'll let you guys know when I hear back.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Jul 2013, 12:56

Check out Cunning there, everybody, doing my job for me ;) Thanks old chap.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Jul 2013, 13:08

OXM ETboy wrote:Check out Cunning there, everybody, doing my job for me ;) Thanks old chap.

We've already worked out he's a stealth ninja and with the way he's going about when you turn up to work on monday it'll be him behind Jontys desk, stroking a white cat and laughing maniacally.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby KernowDevil23 » 19 Jul 2013, 17:17

I've used videogamesplus.ca for years (since the gamecube days!) and I've never been hit for import tax. Maybe I've been lucky though!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Jul 2013, 21:33

KernowDevil23 wrote:I've used videogamesplus.ca for years (since the gamecube days!) and I've never been hit for import tax. Maybe I've been lucky though!

They've come back and said anything under $50 they send as a gift so it's import tax exempt. What's their postage like because that part of their answer made no sense to me.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Yungstar 2006 » 19 Jul 2013, 21:48

bought many games from them and yet to be charged anything extra.
Yungstar 2006 11

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 20 Jul 2013, 02:33

Yes, it's a slow news day today

It must've been. Earth-shattering news that *"JAY Z has officially changed the way his name is spelt.

A source has confirmed that the hyphen has been dropped and that it is now "all capital letters
".

His real name is is Shawn Carter. No hyphen.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23372784
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 20 Jul 2013, 13:30

Vulgar Plebeian wrote:
Yes, it's a slow news day today

It must've been. Earth-shattering news that *"JAY Z has officially changed the way his name is spelt.

A source has confirmed that the hyphen has been dropped and that it is now "all capital letters
".

His real name is is Shawn Carter. No hyphen.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23372784

Great idea! I think I might change my name from Mike to Myke...! Could catch on.... :lol:

Edit: Funny thing is, when I Googled it, there were quite a few people called Myke. Maybe MYKE would be better!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Next