to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Soul Calibur 2 HD Online revealed

Your comments on our articles.

Updated version of 2003 beat-em-up gets prettier, goes online

Namco Bandai last night decided to use their San Diego Comic Con panel to announce a HD update of arguably the best entry in their Soul franchise: Soul Calibur 2.... read more

Soul Calibur 2 HD Online revealed

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Jul 2013, 11:41

bah, I had just grabbed the facebook announcement to send one of you guys when this popped up :lol:

On a nother note screw Spawn, they should have based this on the Gamecube verion - Link ftw!
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Re: Soul Calibur 2 HD Online revealed

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jul 2013, 12:07

This is my favourite in the series by a clear mile, but agreed that Link was the more natural guest star out the three. Could be worse though, we could have that old guy from Tekken who isn't even armed!
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby terry cheyne » 20 Jul 2013, 13:05

i liked the dreamcast one the most . i really feel old now :cry:
terry cheyne 45

Postby Arm Fall Off Mav » 20 Jul 2013, 13:23

CunningSmile wrote:This is my favourite in the series by a clear mile, but agreed that Link was the more natural guest star out the three. Could be worse though, we could have that old guy from Tekken who isn't even armed!

Um , isn't that exactly who we're getting?
They call me Hadouken 'cos I'm down right fierce!
Arm Fall Off Mav 44

Postby SilentDark » 20 Jul 2013, 13:45

CunningSmile wrote:This is my favourite in the series by a clear mile, but agreed that Link was the more natural guest star out the three. Could be worse though, we could have that old guy from Tekken who isn't even armed!

Heihachi is the man. He's made of so much awesome he doesn't need a weapon to beat such puny warriors.

I do wonder though, will the 360 get the Xbox version while PS3 get the PS2 version? I mean given that Namco own Heihachi could they just ditch Spawn (who they'd have to pay to license) and give everyone the PS2 version?
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby Windowlicker79 » 20 Jul 2013, 14:06

Can't wait to get this! Although it would have been nice if they added higher res textures instead of just using the original ones in HD.
Another "HD online" remake I'd like to see is Capcom's Powerstone or Powerstone 2. Or even a new game! I think it'd be perfect for XBLA.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby PCG The_B » 20 Jul 2013, 14:07

SilentDark wrote:I do wonder though, will the 360 get the Xbox version while PS3 get the PS2 version? I mean given that Namco own Heihachi could they just ditch Spawn (who they'd have to pay to license) and give everyone the PS2 version?

From what I understood, the HD versions for both consoles are indeed being made from the PS2 version of the game, and I agree that it is probably because it's the easiest option with the licensing issues.

As for mentioning Spawn over Link in the piece I'm just going to say it's totally because XBOX4EVA and not at all to do with the fact I didn't play any of them the first time around due to my well documented lack of ability in fighting games in general DON'T LOOK AT ME *Runs off crying*
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 65

Postby lazercut123 » 20 Jul 2013, 15:59

Bah, Super Smash Bros is much better than Soul Calibur

Pit for the win :!:
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jul 2013, 17:03

Arm Fall Off Mav wrote:

Um , isn't that exactly who we're getting?

D'oh, misread the article and then Rodent saying "screw Spawn" reinforced my misreading
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Jul 2013, 17:04

sure sure, blame me xD
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Arm Fall Off Mav » 21 Jul 2013, 15:13

If we don't get Spawn , does that mean we lose Necrid as well , as they were both McFarlane creations?

Never played the GC version so can't comment on Link , but I will say that Spawn was a great character , with a lot of tools and fit the game quite well so will be a shame to see him go.
They call me Hadouken 'cos I'm down right fierce!
Arm Fall Off Mav 44

Postby msbhvn » 21 Jul 2013, 16:18

Out of curiosity, I just had a quick blast as Link thanks to my Wii being backwards compatible and having my PS1 to GC adapter to avoid the miniscule D-pad on the GC controller. Link plays pretty well, but looks a bit out of place due to his character model being a bit too big compared to the others.

I have the Xbox version as well, but never having had a PS2 means I've never played Heihachi, so if they use the PS2 version there'll be something new for me.

Whatever they decide, they'll be resurrecting a true classic. I sunk countless hours into SC2 on the Gamecube and Xbox, and if they port all the single player stuff along with adding online, I'll probably rack up a lot more. :D
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66