to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One system-level features detailed

Your comments on our articles.

Panel of developers reveal several features available to every Xbox One game

As we get ever closer to the launch of the Xbox One, more and more people are hungry for information on the new console. To that end, Microsoft held a panel at this year's Comic Con in San Diego to go into more detail entitled "The Future of Xbox Gaming Revealed"... read more

Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby LackofAuthority » 21 Jul 2013, 17:02

At last my fifa player will look like me!
Listen to me, do as I say! (or don't, I don't care)
LackofAuthority 6
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 15 Jul 2013, 21:15

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby Silence Sean » 21 Jul 2013, 17:33

If they're saying what I think they are...
They can use the K2.0 to generate your in game character. THAT is a use I approve of.
Silence Sean 22
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 30 Aug 2012, 21:23

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby senote » 21 Jul 2013, 17:34

I love OXM but you guys really need to work on your wording, I saw the title and thought we might finally get a whole ruck of information, but no, that was .... certainly not 'detailed' :-/
User avatar
senote 27
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 13:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby s17pur » 21 Jul 2013, 19:19

The body scanning thing is a really cool feature, I just hope developers make use of it. Any idea if the new Call of Duty: Ghosts will employ it as they've already announced multiplayer character customisation and this would be a huge addition and presumably a bit of a kick in the nuts for PS4? Also, I hope that you can scan your likeness to use as your avatar, as you can in the new Kinect Sports.
s17pur 20
 
Posts: 69
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 14:41

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby Metalrodent » 21 Jul 2013, 19:39

s17pur wrote:The body scanning thing is a really cool feature, I just hope developers make use of it. Any idea if the new Call of Duty: Ghosts will employ it as they've already announced multiplayer character customisation and this would be a huge addition and presumably a bit of a kick in the nuts for PS4? Also, I hope that you can scan your likeness to use as your avatar, as you can in the new Kinect Sports.

not sure CoD would work so well if half the soldiers running around were 11ry old shortarses or fat nerds.

On a serious note it would be a terrible idea, people get enough abuse based on the soun of their voice, let alone their looks, though it could be fun for private matches
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 71
 
Posts: 5305
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby LackofAuthority » 21 Jul 2013, 20:39

Metalrodent wrote:
s17pur wrote:The body scanning thing is a really cool feature, I just hope developers make use of it. Any idea if the new Call of Duty: Ghosts will employ it as they've already announced multiplayer character customisation and this would be a huge addition and presumably a bit of a kick in the nuts for PS4? Also, I hope that you can scan your likeness to use as your avatar, as you can in the new Kinect Sports.

not sure CoD would work so well if half the soldiers running around were 11ry old shortarses or fat nerds.

On a serious note it would be a terrible idea, people get enough abuse based on the soun of their voice, let alone their looks, though it could be fun for private matches


That is both offensive to midgets and people with glandular problems. Lol
Listen to me, do as I say! (or don't, I don't care)
LackofAuthority 6
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 15 Jul 2013, 21:15

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby battfink83 » 21 Jul 2013, 23:20

LackofAuthority wrote:At last my fifa player will look like me!


this is THE first thing i thought of,. if only we can scan ourselves in, with full physics in future fifa titles, man i can only imagine how funny a online pro team of men with moobs and beer guts bouncing everywhere would look like.... lol!
User avatar
battfink83 53
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 00:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 22 Jul 2013, 00:47

I have to be honest and say that there is not a single feature here that interest for me in the slightest and I struggle to see the real worth of them, but what really gets me is that the way they are spoken of makes is seem as if these are the key selling features of the new console.

The ability to record what you play is appealing to many, but whilst 30 seconds will possibly be enough to capture a funny moment, 5 minutes wouldn't be enough to build a walk-through a lot of the time, so I would hope that there is a facility to record for much longer periods.

Seriously, do people really want to be able to set up a lobby for a game that there not even playing? Particularly now that you have to insert a disc in order to play a game, if the lobby is quick to fill, you can foresee lots of hold-ups whilst people scrabble for discs they don't even have ready. I can only see this working with digital copies of games, but then I really cannot see the need for this capability at all.

Really? Being able to being able to put a avatar that holds your appearance in a game is exciting? I don't see it myself. Most games such as Battlefield, CoD, Halo, Gears etc. take themselves seriously, so I cannot see them allowing the inclusion of avatars in the game as it will affect the realism. Family games, dancing games, Kinect Sports and the like, I can see utilising it, but in truth, it is little more than a gimmick.

As I see it, we're only around 4 months away from getting our sticky mitts on the One, but as yet, Microsoft have been unable to explain why it is we actually need one. After all, most of the games are coming out on the 360 as well. Aside from better graphics, a bigger hard-drive, and more innovative stuff such as Drivater, (which will perhaps be enough for many) what are we really getting?

I'm afraid they're going to hey have have to go a bit further yet if they are pique me interest.
Image
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby Silence Sean » 22 Jul 2013, 02:08

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Really? Being able to being able to put a avatar that holds your appearance in a game is exciting? I don't see it myself. Most games such as Battlefield, CoD, Halo, Gears etc. take themselves seriously, so I cannot see them allowing the inclusion of avatars in the game as it will affect the realism. Family games, dancing games, Kinect Sports and the like, I can see utilising it, but in truth, it is little more than a gimmick.
.

I was hoping for use in games like the Elder Scrolls and such for more realistic models based on captured facial features...

They had a similar feature for the Vision camera on TC: Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Silence Sean 22
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 30 Aug 2012, 21:23

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby Nick Nack » 22 Jul 2013, 02:25

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I have to be honest and say that there is not a single feature here that interest for me in the slightest and I struggle to see the real worth of them, but what really gets me is that the way they are spoken of makes is seem as if these are the key selling features of the new console.

The ability to record what you play is appealing to many, but whilst 30 seconds will possibly be enough to capture a funny moment, 5 minutes wouldn't be enough to build a walk-through a lot of the time, so I would hope that there is a facility to record for much longer periods.

Seriously, do people really want to be able to set up a lobby for a game that there not even playing? Particularly now that you have to insert a disc in order to play a game, if the lobby is quick to fill, you can foresee lots of hold-ups whilst people scrabble for discs they don't even have ready. I can only see this working with digital copies of games, but then I really cannot see the need for this capability at all.

Really? Being able to being able to put a avatar that holds your appearance in a game is exciting? I don't see it myself. Most games such as Battlefield, CoD, Halo, Gears etc. take themselves seriously, so I cannot see them allowing the inclusion of avatars in the game as it will affect the realism. Family games, dancing games, Kinect Sports and the like, I can see utilising it, but in truth, it is little more than a gimmick.

As I see it, we're only around 4 months away from getting our sticky mitts on the One, but as yet, Microsoft have been unable to explain why it is we actually need one. After all, most of the games are coming out on the 360 as well. Aside from better graphics, a bigger hard-drive, and more innovative stuff such as Drivater, (which will perhaps be enough for many) what are we really getting?

I'm afraid they're going to hey have have to go a bit further yet if they are pique me interest.

Have to say i completely agree with you. Nothing the Kinect 2 offers makes me think WOW, and all the things it can do so far are nothing more than like you said gimmicks. I agree Microsoft have done little to make gamers seriously get excited about XboxOne. All we are getting is prettier games graphically, and bigger multiplayer games. I'll be honest i've not preorder either next gen console as i don't see why theres such a big rush. Plus i'm looking forward to GTA 5, now that is something that makes me excited. :lol:
Nick Nack 48
 
Posts: 261
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 13:19
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby ChaoticP » 22 Jul 2013, 08:56

Wait so does it record only up to 5-minutes or can you record more by starting the recording manually?
ChaoticP 52
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 04 Jul 2013, 02:51
Location: United States

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Jul 2013, 09:51

@ Nick and Turtle

You say that "all we are getting is prettier graphics" like its a down point. Apparently that is all anyone wants because all the other features were stripped out due to "popular demand"

Plus there's the point that the 360 launched with nothing over the Xbox besides prettier graphics and that didn't do so badly.

Although I do agree that MS really need to be doing a much better job of selling themselves, but then I think they should have done this rather than perform the Xbox 180 and given us with a console that was trying to be different instead of just going with prettier graphics.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11373
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 22 Jul 2013, 10:25

CunningSmile wrote:@ Nick and Turtle

You say that "all we are getting is prettier graphics" like its a down point. Apparently that is all anyone wants because all the other features were stripped out due to "popular demand"

Plus there's the point that the 360 launched with nothing over the Xbox besides prettier graphics and that didn't do so badly.

Although I do agree that MS really need to be doing a much better job of selling themselves, but then I think they should have done this rather than perform the Xbox 180 and given us with a console that was trying to be different instead of just going with prettier graphics.


Don't misunderstand me, Cunning, I like better graphics as much as the next gamer, and always wow over a game with stunning graphics, but that is precisely the problem; on the original Xbox, the graphics were mostly boxy and pixelated, but that isn't the case now. Now we regularly get games which are simply stunning, so we already have those fantastic graphics, which means that Microsoft need to give us more and better reasons why we should switch to the One.

Everyone must think I'm a right miserable bugger, but I'm really not. I simply feel that both Microsoft and Sony have (hopefully!) undersold the features of their new consoles and believe that shinier graphics is enough to get everyone to open their wallets (and purses!), and I for one don't believe that it is.
Image
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 22 Jul 2013, 10:31

Silence Sean wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:Really? Being able to being able to put a avatar that holds your appearance in a game is exciting? I don't see it myself. Most games such as Battlefield, CoD, Halo, Gears etc. take themselves seriously, so I cannot see them allowing the inclusion of avatars in the game as it will affect the realism. Family games, dancing games, Kinect Sports and the like, I can see utilising it, but in truth, it is little more than a gimmick.
.

I was hoping for use in games like the Elder Scrolls and such for more realistic models based on captured facial features...

They had a similar feature for the Vision camera on TC: Rainbow Six Vegas 2


I can see where you're coming from, Sean, playing as Commander Sheep in the next Mass Effect game with my own visage staring back at me during the cut scenes is something I would do (and I know I would as I already tend to make my character in my own image, albeit with less wrinkles and smaller bags under the eyes!), but I just don't see this function as a key selling feature for the One, and the problem is, that with so few months left before its release, Microsoft need to come up with something decent pretty sharpish.
Image
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One system-level features detailed

Postby s17pur » 22 Jul 2013, 10:43

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I can see where you're coming from, Sean, playing as Commander Sheep in the next Mass Effect game with my own visage staring back at me during the cut scenes is something I would do (and I know I would as I already tend to make my character in my own image, albeit with less wrinkles and smaller bags under the eyes!), but I just don't see this function as a key selling feature for the One, and the problem is, that with so few months left before its release, Microsoft need to come up with something decent pretty sharpish.

I can understand your concerns, but I'd be interested to know what else you would have liked from the console? From what I can see, the new Kinect features are adding something to the gaming experience without actually revolutionizing it just yet. I still think it's very impressive though. From what I've seen the big thing with next-gen is the open world online experiences that aren't possible on current-gen systems (e.g. Titanfall, Dead Rising). I agree though that Microsoft need to do a better job of selling the benefits of the system. Part of the problem is that Sony have seemingly proved that fancy graphics and impressive hardware specs are all that the masses want.
s17pur 20
 
Posts: 69
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 14:41

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]