Forza Motorsport 5 will not require day one internet connect

Your comments on our articles.

But you will need to sign in online at some stage to finish career mode

Turns out Forza Motorsport 5 is not like your fridge, after all. Whodathunkit. Despite previously claiming that the game would require a one-time internet connection at launch, Turn 10's Dan Greenawalt has now said that a start-up connection is "not the plan."... read more

Forza Motorsport 5 will not require day one internet connect

Postby ChaoticP » 22 Jul 2013, 10:11

I like the Xbox One, but the people in Microsoft really need to get their shit straight before releasing statements.
ChaoticP 52

Re: Forza Motorsport 5 will not require day one internet con

Postby Maximus T » 22 Jul 2013, 10:38

To be honest, either way works for me, I wouldn't mind having to fill up first and foremost, and will probably end up doing so. For some people this will be great news, because the last thing they want to do at launch of a new console is connect it to the internet and play online.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Postby SilentDark » 22 Jul 2013, 10:52

So let me get this straight. The main single player mode is basically impossible to complete without DLC? So people without internet connections are essentially getting an unfinished game. Well that's really nice. I have no objection to DLC as a whole but I feel it should be extra, making DLC, even free DLC that is required to complete the game is in my view totally not cool. Either release the thing complete or don't bother releasing it at all.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby battfink83 » 22 Jul 2013, 11:04

SilentDark wrote:So let me get this straight. The main single player mode is basically impossible to complete without DLC? So people without internet connections are essentially getting an unfinished game. Well that's really nice. I have no objection to DLC as a whole but I feel it should be extra, making DLC, even free DLC that is required to complete the game is in my view totally not cool. Either release the thing complete or don't bother releasing it at all.

Too right, this is rediculous. The game should be released finished, like all games, espe ially since its on a mahoosive blu ray!
battfink83 54

Postby SHalo28 » 22 Jul 2013, 11:07

its still not fair ppl will not got the whole game just becase they dont have the net. its better then not leting them play it at all. :|
SHalo28 23

Postby Chameleon » 22 Jul 2013, 11:09

Looks like T10 went to the MS school of PR...

Still want F5 tho.
battfink83 wrote:
SilentDark wrote:So let me get this straight. The main single player mode is basically impossible to complete without DLC? So people without internet connections are essentially getting an unfinished game. Well that's really nice. I have no objection to DLC as a whole but I feel it should be extra, making DLC, even free DLC that is required to complete the game is in my view totally not cool. Either release the thing complete or don't bother releasing it at all.

Too right, this is rediculous. The game should be released finished, like all games, especially since its on a mahoosive blu ray!

The thing is, as was explained in the other thread, this was never going to be an issue under the previous "mostly-online" regime, but MS's U-turn messed things up for all the devs that were working to the original specs. I can't blame them when, after putting who-know-how-many-man-hours into the game, there was a dramatic turnaround and change in the way the system works, so you'll need a significantly sized D/L to get the game that was supposed to be delivered.
Chameleon 44

Postby Maximus T » 22 Jul 2013, 11:14

I'm pretty sure you have to have an internet connection to initially set up the ONE in the first place. Also, T10 have frequently talked about how they are using the cloud for a lot of the content, since it allows them to keep adding stuff right up to launch.
Maximus T 71

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Jul 2013, 11:20

I think this is the inevitable result of the 180. Why should you worry about releasing a 'finished' game when everyone who buys it will be online every 24 hours and you can download the patches, for free, without them ever noticing?

At the risk of starting arguements I don't think anyone who complained about the sign in can now complain that games designed to take advantage of it seem unfinished. If developers have been told for months or even years that it's a feature they can take advantage of, and certainly in this case did want to take advantage of, then I for one can't really blame them if they are now given the choice between delaying a game for months to adapt it or releasing a game with a flag on the box that says "must be online to play"

EDIT: Chameleon beat me to it. I hate when he does that
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 22 Jul 2013, 11:41

CunningSmile wrote:EDIT: Chameleon beat me to it. I hate when he does that

:D

If it makes you feel any better, I'd just finished composing a response in the 'System Level Features' article, hit preview, and found you'd got there ahead of me. :wink:
Chameleon 44

Postby SilentDark » 22 Jul 2013, 11:45

Well Cunning I think this illustrates exactly why the 180 needed to happen, if you've got developers working right up to release on a game where exactly does the QA fit into that picture? I hate the fact that one of the biggest additions to console gaming with the inclusion of internet features seems to be patches, which at least have an excuse on a PC but really with decent QA should not have to happen on a console. I remember when the advent of internet on consoles were said to be the death of PC gaming but instead what has happened is that consoles themselves seem to be dying, each generation seems to get closer to PCs. I won't be surprised if a few generations down the line Playstation and Xbox will just be brands of PCs and consoles will be a long forgotten memory.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Jul 2013, 11:49

SilentDark wrote:Well Cunning I think this illustrates exactly why the 180 needed to happen, if you've got developers working right up to release on a game where exactly does the QA fit into that picture? I hate the fact that one of the biggest additions to console gaming with the inclusion of internet features seems to be patches, which at least have an excuse on a PC but really with decent QA should not have to happen on a console. I remember when the advent of internet on consoles were said to be the death of PC gaming but instead what has happened is that consoles themselves seem to be dying, each generation seems to get closer to PCs. I won't be surprised if a few generations down the line Playstation and Xbox will just be brands of PCs and consoles will be a long forgotten memory.

Why do you think patches are acceptable on PC but not consoles? Surely QA should apply to both equally?

And I would say that the ability to work on a game not only right up until release, but well after it, allows games to remain fresh and evolving. The 180 has just given us another generation of games being static and rigid.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 22 Jul 2013, 11:56

Well the content that they are adding is tracks and cars. They can easily test these individually with the game mechanics already in place. They will have been testing the on disc stuff so that works and then can just add more content. they have a decent size team so they can have some people test the new stuff whilst others make more, and then adjust them if necessary. CoD and Halo have already shown that you can even adjust content when it is already in the game without even a patch.

If you take Skyrim for example, the bugs are all to do with the fact it is a massive world- a problem would not occur if they added a new sword or dog breed.
Maximus T 71

Postby MrT666 » 22 Jul 2013, 12:01

CunningSmile wrote:I think this is the inevitable result of the 180. Why should you worry about releasing a 'finished' game when everyone who buys it will be online every 24 hours and you can download the patches, for free, without them ever noticing?

At the risk of starting arguements I don't think anyone who complained about the sign in can now complain that games designed to take advantage of it seem unfinished. If developers have been told for months or even years that it's a feature they can take advantage of, and certainly in this case did want to take advantage of, then I for one can't really blame them if they are now given the choice between delaying a game for months to adapt it or releasing a game with a flag on the box that says "must be online to play"

EDIT: Chameleon beat me to it. I hate when he does that

Erm yeah they can, how about developers actually finish their games before releasing them? That used to work alright before,
Last edited by MrT666 on 22 Jul 2013, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
MrT666 18

Postby FishyGinger » 22 Jul 2013, 12:02

CunningSmile wrote:Why do you think patches are acceptable on PC but not consoles? Surely QA should apply to both equally?

And I would say that the ability to work on a game not only right up until release, but well after it, allows games to remain fresh and evolving. The 180 has just given us another generation of games being static and rigid.

Playing devils advocate for a minute patches are more acceptable on PC due to the nature of them all being different. You're very unlikely to get 2 identical setups whereas consoles are almost completely identical. With maybe a difference in hard drive my xbox is the same as yours, my pc isn't.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby MrT666 » 22 Jul 2013, 12:05

SilentDark wrote:Well Cunning I think this illustrates exactly why the 180 needed to happen, if you've got developers working right up to release on a game where exactly does the QA fit into that picture? I hate the fact that one of the biggest additions to console gaming with the inclusion of internet features seems to be patches, which at least have an excuse on a PC but really with decent QA should not have to happen on a console. I remember when the advent of internet on consoles were said to be the death of PC gaming but instead what has happened is that consoles themselves seem to be dying, each generation seems to get closer to PCs. I won't be surprised if a few generations down the line Playstation and Xbox will just be brands of PCs and consoles will be a long forgotten memory.

Playstation and xbox have always just been brands of pcs,
MrT666 18

Next