to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why Microsoft won't sell Xbox One without Kinect

Your comments on our articles.

There's method to the mandatory support, argues Ed

If there's one thing you can rely on the average, halfway-intelligent and means-conscious human being to do, it's ask for stuff to be cheaper. In the case of Xbox One, there's a simple little equation attached: why not slice a few tenners off that RRP by removing Kinect from the package? After all, Kinect is rumoured (very firmly without official confirmation) to be almost as expensive to manufacture as the console itself, and given the less-than-tremendous state of current generation motion gaming, is unlikely to be among the main reasons Xbox One buyers shell out.... read more

Why Microsoft won't sell Xbox One without Kinect

Postby Plamsa wing » 22 Jul 2013, 17:55

There's not much I can say about the Kinect, that I've not already said in other threads, but I for one am really looking forward to what developers do with it now it's mandatory. It being mandatory puts it above both the current/old Kinect and PS4's PS Eye/cam, in that rather than cut out most of their market, developers know everyone have and utilise it's full potential.

Rather than disown it now, people really need to give Kinect 2.0 the chance it deserves. Part of the reason the current Kinect hasn't done well in the games department, it due to it not being mandatory, meaning developer and gamer alike don't want to take a chance on it.

I'm repeating myself here, but if the Kinect end up being not mandatory, next-gen will be pretty much dead to me.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Re: Why Microsoft won't sell Xbox One without Kinect

Postby Decent_Jam » 22 Jul 2013, 18:25

I'm really looking forward to properly trying out Kinect at last on this new console. the games might be fun for a party and otherwise the voice and gesture control sound like a perfect addition to my living room. if it could just insert blurays for me and make me orange squash with Pringles and dip on the side I'd be set for a quiet evening in.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Metalrodent » 22 Jul 2013, 18:30

Decent_Jam wrote:I'm really looking forward to properly trying out Kinect at last on this new console. the games might be fun for a party and otherwise the voice and gesture control sound like a perfect addition to my living room. if it could just insert blurays for me and make me orange squash with Pringles and dip on the side I'd be set for a quiet evening in.

I'll do it for the minimum wage, but make sure I have a damned nice butlers outfit
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby ChaoticP » 22 Jul 2013, 18:43

The so called "hardcore gamers," seem to have adopted an, "if it's different, we should kill it mentality," the first Kinect failed on the 360 for a number of reasons. This time around with it being an integral part of the One and the tech being hugely improved, we'll be able to see a proper demonstration of its capabilities.
ChaoticP 47

Postby KernowDevil23 » 22 Jul 2013, 18:46

ChaoticP wrote:the first Kinect failed on the 360 for a number of reasons.

The first Kinect didn't actually fail from a pure sales perspective, however it did fail from a technical point of view because it wasn't anywhere near as good as Microsoft wanted us to think it was (i.e it was/is crap!).
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby steve_2003 » 22 Jul 2013, 18:56

I've got a Kinect for my 360 and although it was great fun at first and had some great titles, the lack of constant games means that now it's just used to occasionally video chat with mates.
This though is obviously down to developers being unsure if a Xbox 360 gamer actually owns one. Now the developers know that every Xbox One gamer has Kinect, it will have a lot more titles dedicated to it and it's features will be utilised in all games.

Looking forward to seeing what it can do, although playing "Dead Rising 3" and worrying if I'm going to sneeze while trying to sneak silently past a hundred zombies, scares the hell out of me! :D
steve_2003 63

Postby ShowanW » 22 Jul 2013, 19:01

I believe Microsoft should start doing 10-15 demo sessions on how Kinect has improved. Every aspect of Kinect should be shown, but at a nice even flow (don't want to spill the goods all in one shot)... Starting at GamesCon, show some Kinect Sports, and maybe a few gestures, and then at TGS, show a more 'Serious Game' and voice input,... or something to that degree...

We live in a "I want it now world" these days, and Microsoft might as well start showing Kinect 2 in real game situations.

I'm all for the XB1 & Kinect v2...

XBOX ON!!! (Actually can't wait to do that) after a long day of work, getting my kids settled in for the night, and saying "Xbox On" as I walk towards my 'MAN CAVE', and its on waiting for me....
ShowanW 4

Postby KernowDevil23 » 22 Jul 2013, 19:04

I'm really bemused by how excited some people get with voice commands.

My dog is more advanced than a Kinect camera and he doesn't "spy" on me. :D
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby steve_2003 » 22 Jul 2013, 19:16

KernowDevil23 wrote:My dog is more advanced than a Kinect camera and he doesn't "spy" on me. :D

That's what you think........ :shock:
steve_2003 63

Postby CLbeardsley91 » 22 Jul 2013, 19:30

I think I'm one of the few people that think the Xbox One is actually quite a bargain at that price (shock). If the PS4 retails at £350 and that is what we are assuming is the standard price band for a sole "next-gen console", then i'm getting a Kinect 2.0 for £80.

Kinect 1 retailed at £129.99 right?

IMO they could have jacked the console up to a lot higher price, even before I knew Kinect was mandatory I genuinely believed the new console would cost around £400 so this is just a bonus to be honest!
CLbeardsley91 27

Postby Bezza89 » 22 Jul 2013, 19:36

Yeah I'm wary of the use, it's all good saying there wasn't enough of a reason to properly make use of it, but you've got at least 20 million people with one, and making a good use of it would have sold more to people waiting for good use. If 20 million people or however many people own it (remember it's the fastest selling piece of technology ever or something) isn't enough to warrant investment in making good use, I'm not sure how having maybe 5 million (at the most optimistic launch sales you will ever see) would smooth things over, there wont be any good use for a long time, by silly comparative logic anyway.

There's also too much bitterness from Kinect 1s uselessness which will only get worse as nothing comes killer app-y for users. What looks good Kinect wise on xbox one? Nothing? Remember your headset does voice commands (on games that wanted it) and there's no good use now either.

I'm all for it being mandatory to help creativity or persuade utilising it, but I thought millions of people owning one would have done it already. I'm still waiting for Kinect support in xcom and other turn based stuff, or bringing the RTS genre over. Stuff where latency isn't much of an issue.

That said, I really wanted a project natal, and I want Kinect 2 to be good. Do stuff people.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Grummy » 22 Jul 2013, 19:53

KernowDevil23 wrote:I'm really bemused by how excited some people get with voice commands.

No, he just dumps on your carpet and humps your leg. For that, the least he could do is a nice flanking run.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 22 Jul 2013, 19:57

ChaoticP wrote:The so called "hardcore gamers," seem to have adopted an, "if it's different, we should kill it mentality," the first Kinect failed on the 360 for a number of reasons. This time around with it being an integral part of the One and the tech being hugely improved, we'll be able to see a proper demonstration of its capabilities.

"Hardcore Gamers" my fuzzy bumflaps. I've been gaming for 25 years, I've grown up with games my entire life, I am like THE poster child for 'hardcore gaming' and I'm in full support of new technology.

These people, I'd be more inclined to call them luddites.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 22 Jul 2013, 20:05

KernowDevil23 wrote:I'm really bemused by how excited some people get with voice commands.

Especially as voice commands aren't what you'd call revolutionary. Doesn't Mass Effect 3 enable this use from the current kinect? Of course you have the SOCOM games on the PS2 which used a headset and the rather underrated Binary Domain on the 360 which also used a headset. Honestly if the majority of developers end up using the kinect for voice commands then the whole R&D budget for kinect 2.0 was a bit of a waste.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby Setsuna-san » 22 Jul 2013, 20:39

I dont own a Kinect for 360, I just thought 'Hey i'll wait for the next one, after its been fully developed' and to be honest from what I have seen and read about the 2.0 I am intrigued to experience what this puppy can do. Glad its included as standard because I dont think I would have splashed out for it. Good ol' MS :P

I remember seeing a review on the Gadget Show by KSI of the PS4 and he said that to fully experience its features you had to have the camera. (which I believe is not included as standard) Even the PS4 controll was made to work with the camera. (It has one of those blue sensor light things built into it)
Setsuna-san 10

Next