Microsoft and Xbox are "years ahead of anyone else out there

Your comments on our articles.

"Always-on" and "always-connected" represent new opportunities for storytellers

Veteran Alternate Reality Game creator Elan Lee - the man behind such viral hits as Halo 2's I Love Bees ARG and The Beast for Steven Spielberg's film A.I. - has spoken at some length about how storytellers might make use of connected platforms like Xbox 360 and Xbox One.... read more

Microsoft and Xbox are "years ahead of anyone else out there

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Jul 2013, 10:34

One question does occur to me when I read the bit about being joined at the hip and I'm hoping someone can answer it.

I see how plugging in your box to the One works for US cable TV where you have a box, or for Sky/Virgin where it's the same but what about those of us who have Freeview built into our TVs? Do we still need to manually change channels between the HDMi input and the Digital TV channel in order to watch television? I'm not complaining if so as it's no different from the moment but I'm just curious.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Re: Microsoft and Xbox are "years ahead of anyone else out t

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 Jul 2013, 10:37

They've said they need to thrash things out with other providers on a case-by-case basis. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while for all the partnerships to come together.

EDIT - Just realised my comment doesn't actually address your question. Oops. I'm not sure how Freeview/regular TV switching would work.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 23 Jul 2013, 11:14

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why you would bother to use the One the watch TV (and this really isn't a facetious question!)? If you sit down and turn the television on, because your Sky Box / Virginmedia set top box is at least in standby mode, your television automatically starts to show a programme, which you can then change quickly and easily with the use of a remote. When you have that convenience already at hand, I don't get why you would then turn on the One in order to view the programmes (assuming that it will actually work with UK providers), and don't see the advantage of doing so.

Would anyone care to (politely!) enlighten me?
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Anthony Sanwo » 23 Jul 2013, 11:37

CunningSmile wrote:One question does occur to me when I read the bit about being joined at the hip and I'm hoping someone can answer it.

I see how plugging in your box to the One works for US cable TV where you have a box, or for Sky/Virgin where it's the same but what about those of us who have Freeview built into our TVs? Do we still need to manually change channels between the HDMi input and the Digital TV channel in order to watch television? I'm not complaining if so as it's no different from the moment but I'm just curious.

Tv Functionality is only available at launch in the US and Sky have said they will just provide an app like on the Xbox one so it hard to see how it will work in the Uk/Euro. So i think it will be no different than it is at them moment.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/21/xbox-on ... te-device/
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 47689.html
Anthony Sanwo 2

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Jul 2013, 11:42

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why you would bother to use the One the watch TV (and this really isn't a facetious question!)? If you sit down and turn the television on, because your Sky Box / Virginmedia set top box is at least in standby mode, your television automatically starts to show a programme, which you can then change quickly and easily with the use of a remote. When you have that convenience already at hand, I don't get why you would then turn on the One in order to view the programmes (assuming that it will actually work with UK providers), and don't see the advantage of doing so.

Would anyone care to (politely!) enlighten me?

For me its one of pure convenience and laziness. I invariably have trouble finding my remote in the evening, and I have one remote for the TV and a controller for my 360 and need both to switch from one to the other, something I normally do several times through the course of an evening.

Instead of that I can walk into my living room after a hard day at work, say "Xbox On" and everything comes to life. I can plonk myself down and use voice commands, hand movements or a controller (which ever I find more user friendly after experiments) to switch between different TV channels and my dashboard and games. If I'm waiting for a favorite show I can happily game until the start time and then pause while I tell the Xbox to switch to TV and watch it then switch back, all without changing the controller I'm using or having to hunt down the back of the sofa to find the TV remote.

It's not the end of the world if my having Freeview means I need to stick to manually switching, but it would be easier if I didn't need to.
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 23 Jul 2013, 11:51

CunningSmile wrote:For me its one of pure convenience and laziness. I invariably have trouble finding my remote in the evening, and I have one remote for the TV and a controller for my 360 and need both to switch from one to the other, something I normally do several times through the course of an evening.

Instead of that I can walk into my living room after a hard day at work, say "Xbox On" and everything comes to life. I can plonk myself down and use voice commands, hand movements or a controller (which ever I find more user friendly after experiments) to switch between different TV channels and my dashboard and games. If I'm waiting for a favorite show I can happily game until the start time and then pause while I tell the Xbox to switch to TV and watch it then switch back, all without changing the controller I'm using or having to hunt down the back of the sofa to find the TV remote.

It's not the end of the world if my having Freeview means I need to stick to manually switching, but it would be easier if I didn't need to.

Thanks, Cunning. I do agree that remotes are troublesome things causing far more grief than the average inanimate object, but will you not still need to find it in order to turn the television on and off?

I don't watch a great deal of television as such, although I do tend to have the news playing in the background for hours on end, but generally, when I turn on my 360 at some point in the evening, it is then on until the early hours of the morning (far too late if I'm honest :oops: ), at which point I then go to bed. Perhaps this is why the usefulness of TV on the One is lost on me.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby DoucheVader » 23 Jul 2013, 13:35

A guy with an XBOX history loves XBONE. Big Surprise! :) This article is meaningless. You might as well print "Microsoft produces brochure favorable to XBONE."
DoucheVader 19

Postby DoucheVader » 23 Jul 2013, 13:37

CunningSmile wrote:For me its one of pure convenience and laziness. I invariably have trouble finding my remote in the evening, and I have one remote for the TV and a controller for my 360 and need both to switch from one to the other, something I normally do several times through the course of an evening.

With a loss of 2GB of RAM (MS uses 3GB for OSes vs PS4 using 1GB) I will have my remote ready so my games look better. LOL :) IMHO it's not worth loosing game performance over features that encourage laziness.
DoucheVader 19

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Jul 2013, 13:38

DoucheVader wrote:A guy with an XBOX history loves XBONE. Big Surprise! :) This article is meaningless. You might as well print "Microsoft produces brochure favorable to XBONE."

So everyone complainss when no one says anything good about the machine, and now you say its meaningless when they do because they are bias. How exactly do you suggest they do publicity?
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 23 Jul 2013, 13:39

CunningSmile wrote:
DoucheVader wrote:A guy with an XBOX history loves XBONE. Big Surprise! :) This article is meaningless. You might as well print "Microsoft produces brochure favorable to XBONE."

So everyone complainss when no one says anything good about the machine, and now you say its meaningless when they do because they are bias. How exactly do you suggest they do publicity?

plain posters, with no opinion at all. A blank campaign consisting entirely of release dates and box art :roll:
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 Jul 2013, 13:49

The article is an article about Microsoft's TV/"interactive entertainment" stuff, not just the bare fact of somebody thinking his employer's all kinds of win :)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby MrT666 » 23 Jul 2013, 14:10

Always on and Always connected also represent new opportunities for Companies to rip people off
MrT666 18

Postby Chameleon » 23 Jul 2013, 14:56

Whilst I can't agree with the other comment, the one about "Former Xbox dev, and current MS employee, in 'we're better than the opposition' shock" does have a merit. It's not like he's going to come out and say something else, is it? Tho in reality, it's the headline that's the problem, as it doesn't exactly convey the content of the article, and it does smell a little of self-congratulatory back-slapping when coming from the Official mag.

IMO. Just my two cents.

Metalrodent wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:How exactly do you suggest they do publicity?

plain posters, with no opinion at all. A blank campaign consisting entirely of release dates and box art :roll:

I remember, back when Sony spectacularly failed to reveal their console, suggesting the MS would be best off just releasing a photo of the (still-to-be-named) X1 with a release date, and nothing more. I suspect that would still have been better than what they ended up doing... :roll:

MrT666 wrote:Always on and Always connected also represent new opportunities for Companies to rip people off

Technically, yes, but I think you're being a little disingenuous to suggest that will happen, as there is absolutely no evidence that it'll happen.
And a few less one-line comments-that-are-actually-insults around here would be nice. Didn't your mother ever tell you if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all? At least make it constructive criticism.
Chameleon 44

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Jul 2013, 15:01

CunningSmile wrote:

By showing an xbox one sat with a sunset behind it and a scantily clad woman draped over it holding a tiger on a leash with the caption "You won't get a woman and a giant man eating cat without the One".

Could someone mock me up an image, I wouldn't mind a second job in microsofts advertising team.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Chameleon » 23 Jul 2013, 15:31

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:

By showing an xbox one sat with a sunset behind it and a scantily clad woman draped over it holding a tiger on a leash with the caption "You won't get a woman and a giant man eating cat without the One".

Could someone mock me up an image, I wouldn't mind a second job in microsofts advertising team.

Best I could do without any warning

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3000/gemg.jpg

It's surprising how difficult it is to find a decent shot of a woman with a tiger on a leash actually draped over something of a suitable size to replace with an image of an X1...
Chameleon 44

Next