Capcom has no future Darkstalkers projects planned after poo

Your comments on our articles.

Turns out Darkstalkers may be dead after all

Yoshinori Ono likes to assure his fans on a regular basis that vintage fighting game series Darkstalkers "is not dead." However, disappointing sales of recent XBLA re-release Darkstalkers: Resurrection may have been the final nail in the coffin for Morrigan, Jon Talbain, Lord Raptor and company.... read more

Postby seiibutsu » 23 Jul 2013, 11:21

shocker.

its funny that capcom release super street fighter 2 hd, it does well, mainly do to fully re-worked visuals, and then they flood the market with all their other titles putting minimal effort into updating them and wonder why things produce low sales figures. Quality sells, not just a well known brand.

if they bothered to make a NEW title it'd probably do well.

It just strikes me as the company being totally out of touch with what is really appealing about their games and out of touch with their potential market.
Writing words and playing games. oh and eating sakes and lots of other stuff too...
seiibutsu 22

Re: Capcom has no future Darkstalkers projects planned after

Postby msbhvn » 23 Jul 2013, 11:54

Maybe what turned people off was that they charged £10 for a half-arsed port of two nigh-on 20 year old games and then released a load of worthless skin pack DLC. What people wanted was a proper HD version of the Dreamcast/PSP Darkstalkers Chronicle collection.

Capcom must be run by morons. They know exactly what the fans want, but try to fob them off with something inferior because they don't want to make the effort, then they blame the fans for not buying it.

EDIT: Love the shortened title: "Capcom has no future Darkstalkers projects planned after poo". :lol:
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby SilentDark » 23 Jul 2013, 12:24

So basically all Capcom really put out now is street fighter (number 4 of which is getting its THIRD rerelease) Resident Evil and Dead Rising. What is wrong with these people "let's gauge Darkstalker interest by release a port of two 20 year old games, that the fans would have played to death already. Let's see how well that sells." I mean honestly. Yeah, don't bother releasing games from franchises you seem to have forgotten, Megaman, Rival Schools or anything. Just keep pumping out your heavy hitters and nothing else. So when people are tired of the same old same old, you can sit around the boardroom, slack jawed while wondering why nobody is buying your games anymore.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Jul 2013, 12:30

SilentDark wrote:So basically all Capcom really put out now is street fighter (number 4 of which is getting its THIRD rerelease) Resident Evil and Dead Rising. What is wrong with these people "let's gauge Darkstalker interest by release a port of two 20 year old games, that the fans would have played to death already. Let's see how well that sells." I mean honestly. Yeah, don't bother releasing games from franchises you seem to have forgotten, Megaman, Rival Schools or anything. Just keep pumping out your heavy hitters and nothing else. So when people are tired of the same old same old, you can sit around the boardroom, slack jawed while wondering why nobody is buying your games anymore.

And don't forget wondering why no one buys their disc based games at release because we're all waiting for the inevitable Ultra Super Turbo edition to be released. I swear Capcom is recruiting from the assisted learning class at business school.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 23 Jul 2013, 13:47

msbhvn wrote:Maybe what turned people off was that they charged £10 for a half-arsed port of two nigh-on 20 year old games and then released a load of worthless skin pack DLC. What people wanted was a proper HD version of the Dreamcast/PSP Darkstalkers Chronicle collection.

Capcom must be run by morons. They know exactly what the fans want, but try to fob them off with something inferior because they don't want to make the effort, then they blame the fans for not buying it.

EDIT: Love the shortened title: "Capcom has no future Darkstalkers projects planned after poo". :lol:

Such low brow humour, but a great start to the day. Most people read or play games on their phones when they take a dump, apparently Capcom CEO/COO and Chairman make company altering decisions. Heavy stuff.

They also make Dragon's Dogma, so I can forgive them a hell of a lot.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Baryonyx » 23 Jul 2013, 15:42

Darkstalkers has traded a lot on nostalgia. It was kooky and fun in it's day, but the mechanics aren't great these days and hardly make for a compelling experience.

Much like one of my favourite fighting games of all time, Golden Axe: The Duel; I loved it dearly in it's day but I expect it would be pretty crap to look at and play now. I doubt I'd shell out for it if it were on live at anything like full price. And it was far superior to Darkstalkers!

The entire genre has largely had it's day, so low sales on a basic iteration of a mediocre game should not be a surprise.
Baryonyx 42