to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Treyarch boss gets "threats of violence" over latest Black O

Your comments on our articles.

Gun balancing tweaks prove controversial

Treyarch's design director David Vonderhaar isn't the most popular man on Twitter right now, thanks to a new Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 patch which preps the ground for new Personalisation DLC, smooths over a large number of issues with recent Zombies Mode addition Buried, and twiddles the fire rate/damage of certain weapons.... read more

Treyarch boss gets "threats of violence" over latest Black O

Postby Metalrodent » 23 Jul 2013, 18:18

'they made the game fairer and easier to play, they must pay' :roll:

People are idiots
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Re: Treyarch boss gets "threats of violence" over latest Bla

Postby PonderingWalrus » 23 Jul 2013, 18:31

People these days.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Flook666 » 23 Jul 2013, 18:38

Sometimes I think anybody who creates stuff should just get on with creating it and not listen to the mass stupidity of the general public on Twitter, Facebook, etc....

We got on just fine with videogaming before the internet & developers started listening to fans moaning about every single change made to a game, system, magazine, comic,etc...

And if they kept off the internet then maybe they'd just release a finished game and not need to patch it in the first place! :mrgreen:
Let's Go, Mr Driver!
Flook666 14

Postby Setsuna-san » 23 Jul 2013, 19:17

Its his own stupidity for posting the nerfs online. People wouldnt have even noticed if nothing was said.
Setsuna-san 10

Postby tjam84 » 23 Jul 2013, 20:40

This doesn't do the cod crowd any favours does it?

On a separate note oxm, still no article on xbox live? Is been messing with people's consoles since last night and now it's down altogether. Surprised you havnt mentioned it, I know it's not your job to report it but I've always found your site to be pretty hot on mass problems like this.
tjam84 38

Postby PonderingWalrus » 23 Jul 2013, 20:53

Setsuna-san wrote:Its his own stupidity for posting the nerfs online. People wouldnt have even noticed if nothing was said.

You're right, he probably deserves the violent threats for letting us know what changes are being made to the game. Stupid man.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 Jul 2013, 20:59

tjam84 wrote:This doesn't do the cod crowd any favours does it?

On a separate note oxm, still no article on xbox live? Is been messing with people's consoles since last night and now it's down altogether. Surprised you havnt mentioned it, I know it's not your job to report it but I've always found your site to be pretty hot on mass problems like this.

I'll have a look when I get home.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Nexoi » 23 Jul 2013, 21:03

if poeple dont like it dont play the game!

also ive got the problems with xbox live too :?
Nexoi is also my gamertag. I play Halo, CoD, Forza etc. Add me if u want! :D
Nexoi 11

Postby RetroDad » 23 Jul 2013, 21:05

Setsuna-san wrote:Its his own stupidity for posting the nerfs online. People wouldnt have even noticed if nothing was said.

Well... that escalated quickly!

On a serious note, Vonderhaar should never have received the abuse he did today. People were calling him a c*nt, hope he got cancer, and there were threats that his daughter was going to be f*cked. The nerfs to the DSR.50 and Ballista were pointless. They've increased the DSR fire time from 0.2 seconds to 0.4. Re chamber time from 1.0 seconds to 1.1 seconds.. Whoop de effin' doo! It was their damage that needed reducing. The DSR in particular is a kill cam machine in the right hands.

There is a lot of ill feeling in the community because so many have been complaining about gun balancing etc.. I jumped on Blops Deuce earlier and only saw just over a 100k online. People are leaving the game big time because a lot of players are excessively using what are considered o/p classes. E.g:

DSR.50 w/ Ballistic CPU + dual band scope, Kap-40 w/ dual wield, Lightweight, Fast hands, Dexterity, C-4 & Tac Insert. You can be aggressive with a support weapon & dominate mid to long range.. You can spray down anybody in close quarters and get around the map quickly whilst switching between weapons incredibly fast if need be.. C-4 sandwiches for the win and tactical insertion (more like boosting insertion) to avoid that bothersome trek after re-spawning. I don't use this type of class, it's not my play style at all.

However, when Treyarch do address o/p guns, the fan boys of the aforementioned kicks off! They can't win.. I somehow knew the AN-94 would take a knock though. It's been in my go-to class for a while now.
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 35

Postby stryder84 » 23 Jul 2013, 21:10

I'm going to assume you aren't as stupid as those giving death threats, but people would notice anything from major tweaks right down to 0.05 second change in the sprint and cooldown
AK-47? nah 2 swords and shout will do me
stryder84 29

Postby Alaric14 » 23 Jul 2013, 22:39

...And yet another ten steps backward for the gaming demographic and how it's perceived at large; thank you very much, Call of Duty community. Vonderhaar's just a bloke doing his job and paying attention to feedback on one of the world's biggest multiplayer experiences, tweaking game mechanics accordingly, and they make THOSE kinds of threats? That man deserves his salary, it's just a shame he can't be granted much in the way of respect. I'm thoroughly disgusted.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby msbhvn » 23 Jul 2013, 22:54

Any group of people, when it gets large enough, descends to the lowest common denominator. When you mix in the quasi-anonymity of the internet, it just gets worse. They either don't know or don't care that they're way out of line.

I read a newspaper article where someone described the most terrifying campaign of hate mail, starting on Twitter and then notes sent to his home. When the guy finally found out who it was, it turned out to be the son of a friend. He confronted the lad and his explanation was "it was just a game thing".

Here's the article, pretty shocking stuff: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... nted-troll
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 69

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Jul 2013, 23:13

That article is truly scary how detached someone can get from the results of his actions. Almost makes you want to ban the Internet entirely
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby bamozzy » 24 Jul 2013, 06:10

I haven't played Black Ops 2 much in the last month as I am max prestige (already done the reset stats too...) have most guns gold (inc DSR/Ballista and AN-94) and didn't think much to the latest maps (too busy)

The few times I have played recently, I haven't used these weapons as I am trying to get Gold on the few I still need to do. I do like the an-94 and it is usually my .try-hard' set. I am not a quick-scoper and it does annoy me that some people seem to think you can run around with a sniper rifle like it is a shot gun! Personally I would like to see them nerfed until people start using them like snipers should be used!! in reality you could never raise them and shoot someone close before being shot as they are too heavy!!.

Regardless of my own personal take on nerfs/buffs etc I would never and cannot stand the abuse that David Vonderhaar has received. If I was him I would block those that did abuse and then their opinions will never be heard. The only way to try and get things sorted in a way you want is to offer constructive criticism/advice.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Suffering withdrawal symptoms now the Destiny Beta has finished..... September 9th can't come quick enough!!!
bamozzy 65

Postby nipples of budgy » 24 Jul 2013, 09:15

he shouldnt have got stick for this, but for not bothering to fix day one issues and instead coming up with ways to squeeze mokre money out of people + the stupid probation system deserves stick, not death threats but definite stick, but tbh he probably used one of his other accounts to send it to himself ie @hellawasted
nipples of budgy 5

Next