to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Activision slams Black Ops 2 death threats - "this is why ga

Your comments on our articles.

"If you enjoy your games, have a little respect for the people who make them."

Activision's community manager Dan Amrich has posted a withering piece on last night's outbreak of fan threats in response to a Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 update. It contains such seemingly common-sensical observations as: wishing death on people because they've rebalanced your favourite Call of Duty gun is just a tad bit disproportionate.... read more

Activision slams Black Ops 2 death threats - "this is why ga

Postby Maximus T » 24 Jul 2013, 10:52

This really makes me unhappy. :(
I don't see why a mask of anonymity that the internet gives causes some people to act in a disgusting manner. And seriously, I know people who would be all too happy to scream at me for making a mistake in real life, but wouldn't dream of threatening someone over the internet.
There is clearly an issue for some people that their internet persona be obnoxious and anti-social, even if they are not like that in real life.
I like to think that the way I present myself online is more or less reflective of how I would be if I met you in person.
The problem with them being more anonymous is that we cannot truly learn a motive for the behaviour.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Re: Activision slams Black Ops 2 death threats - "this is wh

Postby Metalrodent » 24 Jul 2013, 11:04

and people wonder why CoD fans are often looked down upon by the rest of the gaming comunity
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Alaric14 » 24 Jul 2013, 11:14

Not much I can add to this response. Amrich's points are irrefutable and any whiny arseholes here present should be ashamed of themselves.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby SmgUk » 24 Jul 2013, 11:38

The thing is most COD players are not even "Gamers" as in they don't play a wide variety of other games they just buy a console for COD and maybe a few other games like battlefield and that's it. And that is why there seems to be a greater concentration of numbnutts.
SmgUk 27

Postby SLBruinScotty » 24 Jul 2013, 11:56

Anyone willing to make death threats over a tenth of a second tweak to a virtual weapon in a computer game should really seek urgent psychological help. I was furious about mass effect 3 and saints row 3, but i never threatened to do damage to someone over them.
SLBruinScotty 9

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 24 Jul 2013, 12:05

This is why gamers are assumed to be immature, whiny assholes

In my experience, Just COD players fit this stereotype.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby Alaric14 » 24 Jul 2013, 12:25

Johnbhoy69 wrote:
This is why gamers are assumed to be immature, whiny assholes

In my experience, Just COD players fit this stereotype.

Clearly you've never seen a World of Warcraft or League of Legends forum (though LoL is doing stellar work in the field of encouraging good player behaviour), and did you miss that whole ME3 incident? Sorry to say it, but examples of 'whiny arseholiness' are everywhere.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby SilentDark » 24 Jul 2013, 12:30

I consider myself a hate filled bundle of rage and sharp edges but this is a step too far even for me. I mean sure, tell them if your unhappy with the changes they made, but there really is no need to get personal. So this is my wish, for all those CoD players who think it's acceptable to threaten a man over something as meaningless as a game. I hope Acti decide that it's not worth the trouble and sink the CoD franchise, sure it's their biggest seller but they have the marvel games, Warcraft, Starcraft, James Bond, they'll survive. But you guys won't have your precious CoD and you'll whine, probably issue more death threats but the way I see it, if you can't play nice, then maybe someone should take your toys away.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Jul 2013, 12:39

SilentDark wrote:I consider myself a hate filled bundle of rage and sharp edges but this is a step too far even for me. I mean sure, tell them if your unhappy with the changes they made, but there really is no need to get personal. So this is my wish, for all those CoD players who think it's acceptable to threaten a man over something as meaningless as a game. I hope Acti decide that it's not worth the trouble and sink the CoD franchise, sure it's their biggest seller but they have the marvel games, Warcraft, Starcraft, James Bond, they'll survive. But you guys won't have your precious CoD and you'll whine, probably issue more death threats but the way I see it, if you can't play nice, then maybe someone should take your toys away.

I always thought of you as being more cuddly then that :lol:
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 24 Jul 2013, 12:41

Alaric14 wrote:Clearly you've never seen a World of Warcraft or League of Legends forum (though LoL is doing stellar work in the field of encouraging good player behaviour), and did you miss that whole ME3 incident? Sorry to say it, but examples of 'whiny arseholiness' are everywhere.

Ive never played WOW or LOL so not my place to comment on them.
The Mass Effect 3 thing was about a piss poor ending that made very little sense to anyone at the time, myself included. I think that was worthy of a few complaints and bitching and yes some people took it too far.

But COD puts them all to shame, Ive never received so many Voice messages calling me every derogatory name for a homosexual in any other game for killing my opponents in death match, when killing them is the actual point of playing in the first place.
Its full of sore losers who refuse to comprehend that someone might actually beat them at the only game they own and then they rage quit or send a barrage of insults towards that person.

I think Activision should tweak every gun in Multiplayer for a full 48 hours so that they only fire one single shot every 30 seconds and grenades take 90 seconds to explode...to remind these people who is in charge
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby Jobe wan kenobi » 24 Jul 2013, 12:58

Absolutely pathetic, to kick up such a fuss over a gun in a video game.

Things like this make me glad that I gave up on the Cod Franchise. Too much grief :D
Jobe wan kenobi 44

Postby Plamsa wing » 24 Jul 2013, 13:09

Some people shouldn't be allowed on the internet at all or at least until they have some respect for others. It's exactly why I'll never use in-game chat, much rather be in a party with nice, friendly people.

It's all good and well to tell developers when you're unhappy with the things they're doing, but to insult, send death threats, etc, there is absolutely no need for it.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Bugsquat » 24 Jul 2013, 13:54

To paraphrase Yahtzee, people who are behind the Internet can't be reached and slapped in the face, and therefore feel that they are no longer bound by even the most basic standards of etiquette.

Just...just...uggh. I don't even know what to say about these people.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 24 Jul 2013, 16:42

Maximus T wrote:This really makes me unhappy. :(
I don't see why a mask of anonymity that the internet gives causes some people to act in a disgusting manner. And seriously, I know people who would be all too happy to scream at me for making a mistake in real life, but wouldn't dream of threatening someone over the internet.
There is clearly an issue for some people that their internet persona be obnoxious and anti-social, even if they are not like that in real life.
I like to think that the way I present myself online is more or less reflective of how I would be if I met you in person.

I couldn't agree more with Maximus' post.

With regards to anonymity, it is all too easy to have zero netiquette or to disregard normal social conventions when online. Should one simpleton think "They'll never know who I am" before firing off a bilious, hate-filled message, they would do well to remember that IP addresses are unique and traceable - I doubt the usual sort would use the methods available to spoof their IP address.

It is with a great deal of dismay that I read the article, as I have played CoD for some considerable time - Prestige 10 Level 14 at the moment - and I am all too aware of the negatives of the franchise such as rage messages, boosting with the Tactical Insertion, childish or boorish behaviour and suchlike. There are, however, many gamers that enjoy playing CoD for its high paced action, or to create classes for specific maps and using weapons which compliment their current style of gaming. I have messaged other gamers for playing a match particularly well and vice versa. Due to its mainly negative publicity or arguably some kind of gaming's inverse snobbery, this franchise will mainly be remembered for the type of person mentioned in this article.

Being an optimist, I hope that the One will be a gaming world inhabited by a more civilised, grown-up gamer. I also believe that Titanfall will not become the new CoD, although some fans of Zampella & West will give it a whirl as they were responsible for (the then jaw-dropping) Modern Warfare.
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby o4ollie » 24 Jul 2013, 16:53

This reminds me of a time when the game first came out and a gamer threatened to blow up a store in the US and kill everyone because they ran out of COD...not the exact same but it does highlight how far some people will go
o4ollie 9

Next