to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

How Microsoft's "super-charged" Xbox One Achievements - Game

Your comments on our articles.

A chat with Xbox Live's program manager about the future of meta-rewards

It's hard to understate the impact of Xbox Live Achievements. Launched in 2005, the system is effectively a giant, platform-spanning meta-game that binds together your endeavours into one, easily understood measure of prowess: the venerated Gamerscore.... read more

How Microsoft's "super-charged" Xbox One Achievements - Game

Postby Maximus T » 24 Jul 2013, 14:12

I do not regularly complete achievement lists, especially when they add achievements with DLC that you need DLC to unlock. I like the idea of the in-game rewards for completing challenges, just like mass effect 3's weekend challenges. Loads have people have suggested that you should be able to use the achievement pic as your gamer picture, and I agree. Wasn't there something before about getting something for playing games from the same devs. In fact, all of this reminds me of Uplay! A lot of this must have ben inspired by Uplay. Are ubi keeping Uplay?
Last edited by Maximus T on 30 Jul 2013, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Re: How Microsoft's "super-charged" Xbox One Achievements -

Postby Jobe wan kenobi » 24 Jul 2013, 15:04

I think something that would've been great with both xbox 360 and the xbone would be the ability to complete a game's achievements without the need for DLC.

Basically that a game has two sections for its achievements, the ones that shipped with it, and ones that are then added by DLCs.

Its always irritated me when I've completed a game and got its achievements and then suddenly a load of DLCs come out and I have to buy them for that coveted 100%.
Jobe wan kenobi 43

Postby Grummy » 24 Jul 2013, 16:10

Jobe wan kenobi wrote:I think something that would've been great with both xbox 360 and the xbone would be the ability to complete a game's achievements without the need for DLC.

Basically that a game has two sections for its achievements, the ones that shipped with it, and ones that are then added by DLCs.

Its always irritated me when I've completed a game and got its achievements and then suddenly a load of DLCs come out and I have to buy them for that coveted 100%.

Personally, I see that as being all in your head. I play and complete a lot of games and if I've completed all of a games achievements at retail, then I've 'maxed' that game, whether they release DLC or not is irrelevant. What you're basically saying is that it bugs you that the DLC achievements are added to the overall list, not given their own, separate one. Semantics, it wouldn't really make any difference whatsoever. Right now, if you've 1Kd a retail list, your page for that achievement will say 1000. It's all in your head dude, them having their own lists really wouldn't make any difference.

One thing not covered here Boss is whether developers can replace and change achievements. When the new system was first revealed, this was something that was mentioned as a possibility, I'd like more details on that personally.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby fracturedrich » 24 Jul 2013, 16:29

Please remove the achievement for getting all the other achievements as thats lazy,i like the idea of evolving lists but no phone achievements,please please no phone or smartglass.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 24 Jul 2013, 17:06

I like the idea of adding Achievements and Challenges to a game over time. It will probably mean that I keep a game longer as it constantly evolves and remains *fresh.

*Like my laundry with Lenor’s citrus & spice scent fusion. If P&G would like contact details for delivery of a year’s supply… :mrgreen:
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby Jesper » 24 Jul 2013, 17:32

That's really awesome! Can't wait for the Xbox One! :D
Jesper 7

Postby Barrwg » 24 Jul 2013, 18:25

Great ideas in there!
Barrwg 19

Postby Jobe wan kenobi » 25 Jul 2013, 12:12

Grummy wrote:
Jobe wan kenobi wrote:I think something that would've been great with both xbox 360 and the xbone would be the ability to complete a game's achievements without the need for DLC.

Personally, I see that as being all in your head. I play and complete a lot of games and if I've completed all of a games achievements at retail, then I've 'maxed' that game, whether they release DLC or not is irrelevant. What you're basically saying is that it bugs you that the DLC achievements are added to the overall list, not given their own, separate one. Semantics, it wouldn't really make any difference whatsoever. Right now, if you've 1Kd a retail list, your page for that achievement will say 1000. It's all in your head dude, them having their own lists really wouldn't make any difference.

One thing not covered here Boss is whether developers can replace and change achievements. When the new system was first revealed, this was something that was mentioned as a possibility, I'd like more details on that personally.

I guess what I mean is the fact that it doesn't show up in your completed games list, its just a little thing really. But I like the idea of adding achievements on the fly, as long as it doesn't get like Steam. Games with like 300 achievements :)
Jobe wan kenobi 43

Postby Rista B » 25 Jul 2013, 15:00

Sounds interesting but I would hope they reconsider how to track completion percentages. Any DLC or added achievements should be considered separate. Basically categorize them like sites such as trueachievements.com do.
Rista B 13

Postby Matty D » 26 Jul 2013, 14:48

Let us consider the awful possibility of tracking systems. Most games are fine, however you get the occasional hiccup... I still have nightmares. I of course refer to Mass Effect 3's tracking, constantly resetting and making me replay the hardest difficulty when I was almost complete :cry:

'Dear Microsoft, please do not invite Bioware to help with the development of the Achievement and Challenge system. Signed, scarred for life'
You ever see an elephant in your custard?
Matty D 17

Postby TomAZ600 » 28 Jul 2013, 15:32

I was hoping Microsoft would curb a few things with Gamerscore. Like not allowing games with Gamerscore that doesn't end in a 5 or 0. I'm now permanently left with a score ending in 2. Also making all achievements "offline" until the online mode is accessed. Like CoD does, where the achievements are all for single-player.
TomAZ600 35

Postby JayBCobspiracy » 30 Jul 2013, 09:11

Hopefully someone can answer this question. I'd read that we use our existing gold memberships for XbONE right? So I'm guessing the same gamer tag applies right? So what will happen to people like me who won't be selling their 360 for part exchange. I've still got a huge selection of great games some of which I've not played yet. How will it work for me swapping between ONE and 360? Will I have to start downloading my gamer profile each time I swap devices, will my ONE achievements show up on my 360 and vice versa. Or have I got this all wrong?
JayBCobspiracy 19

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Jul 2013, 09:24

JayBCobspiracy wrote:Hopefully someone can answer this question. I'd read that we use our existing gold memberships for XbONE right? So I'm guessing the same gamer tag applies right? So what will happen to people like me who won't be selling their 360 for part exchange. I've still got a huge selection of great games some of which I've not played yet. How will it work for me swapping between ONE and 360? Will I have to start downloading my gamer profile each time I swap devices, will my ONE achievements show up on my 360 and vice versa. Or have I got this all wrong?

As far as I know you can continue to use both fairly easily. The Gold membership will apply to both, and all you'll need to do is recover your tag on your One and from there which ever you start up will just log you onto that machine as it does at the moment. MS have also said the achievement data will carry forward, so presumably if you are logged onto the 360 it will show One achievements and vice versa.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby JayBCobspiracy » 30 Jul 2013, 09:49

Thanks for that cunning! Although gamer tag recovery would be a bit of a pain. I know it only takes a minute or two, but if I'm in the middle of a new game on the one, it would put me off, quickly popping over to the 360 for a quick bust on something. Would mean I'd stick to each machine per current game I'm playing as opposed to easily popping between the two. Could the power of the cloud not be able to keep both machines fully signed in and registered without the need for gamertag recovery?
JayBCobspiracy 19

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Jul 2013, 10:17

I think you've misunderstood me, so sorry. You should only need to recover your tag the first time you set up the One, otherwise it won't know which of the several million Xbox users you are, exactly as if you'd bought a new 360 in the last few years. After that you can switch between the two as often as you like, and I believe the Cloud is being used to track all your data so loading times should be greatly reduced compared to present.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Next