to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA: Battlefield 4 is "well-positioned" versus rivals, will "

Your comments on our articles.

Do new tech, "innovative" online and "epic" single player add up to a COD-beater, finally?

EA's intensely proud of what it's achieved with DICE's Battlefield 4, company executives told investors in an earnings call last night. Following a strong E3 showing, preorders are apparently "stacking up well" against preorders of Battlefield 3.... read more

Postby fracturedrich » 24 Jul 2013, 16:40

cod will be torn apart by bf4 next gen,i said this a year ago,i might be saying this because i prefer the bf games.
fracturedrich 47

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 24 Jul 2013, 16:48

The 17 minute vid provided along with the article. I saw another video from E3 on the XBoxLive Dashboard of some campaign fighting in and on an Aircraft Carrier, which showed the game in a very attractive light, the frame rate was very smooth, the graphics glossy, smooth, faithful to Battlefield yet decidedly next-gen.

The video here doesn't look nearly as impressive. Frame rate is very poor in places.

Am I looking at the 360 version of the game, or is this video footage of next-gen Battlefield, with video of a lower quality than the one I saw previously?

If this is the 360 version, I shall have to remember to buy a next-gen copy instead.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Re: EA: Battlefield 4 is "well-positioned" versus rivals, wi

Postby o4ollie » 24 Jul 2013, 16:49

TBH even if each game gets significantly better because of the next gen tech, I personally think BF4 and COD will suffer simpy because of the newer games coming up next year, particularly for xbox...
o4ollie 9

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 24 Jul 2013, 16:54

fracturedrich wrote:cod will be torn apart by bf4 next gen,i said this a year ago,i might be saying this because i prefer the bf games.

I think another one to watch over the coming 5 or 6 years will be Medal of Honor.

The only area I feel BF is inferior to CoD is in the gunplay. It feels quite loose compared with other top FPS's, but this may be down to my personal preference.

Other than the gunplay, BF destroys CoD already.

And to the guy who says BOTH will suffer through the emergence of other franchises, you're correct. Apart from a very select few, most of the top franchises now were never heard of 12 years ago. That's how it always goes.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby Muppetman51 » 24 Jul 2013, 18:00

@ Edwin, I've seen the Baku and Angry Sea vids a couple of times, and I agree with you about single-player, but wasn't that inevitable?

If you're making a modern military fps aren't you always going to be hamstrung by the fact that the campaign twists and tricks, as well as potential antagonists, are as worn out as the adult channel button on hotel tv remotes?

I still like the sound of the single player campaign in BF4, but is it maybe time for everyone to accept that the stories are always going to suffer by comparison to the vignettes created by players in multi-player sessions?

I'm just thinking out loud, but I'd be interested to hear what you think could realistically save the single-player campaigns of the future?

I liked Spec Ops: The Line and its stab at differentiating itself in its story, but short of mining War and Peace, it doesn't seem like fundamental changes are going to happen soon.
I summon bigger fish to crush Bubble
Muppetman51 41

Postby Hollg » 24 Jul 2013, 20:04

I have enjoyed battlefield 2 and 3, but the frame rate was too sluggish at times and the maps were so empty you were either trapped in one area or running along forv 5 minutes trying to find a vehicle or reach the action.

I played the cod games, reluctantly, because of one major advantage. They ran smooth at 60fps, you could react without over turning due to a sluggish framerate. The cod games were frustratingly laggy at times and had more bugs than an insect farm, but that 60fps is why I preferred to play the cod games because when games were not laggy from the host, the games were smooth and reactive.

With Xbox One I will be able to play battlefield 4 with all the benefits seen on the PC. with 60 fps, I just cant see me buying another cod game that is going with the same old system, unless the new engine they have created is going to offer something better than the same old online gaming they have given for the last 7 years or more.

I believe cod will keep its crown on th old gen, but on the next gen I can't see it holding onto that top spot anymore. There are too many games that will be transformed by the 60fps. I have no doubt on Xbox One even Titanfall will take the cod crown if not battlefield 4.
Hollg 29

Postby Spiderless » 24 Jul 2013, 20:11

Developer of game says game will be great.
Describes game with generic advertising words 'epic' and 'innovative' as if every game ever created hadn't already used them ten billion times over.
Spiderless 25

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 24 Jul 2013, 20:14

Muppetman51 wrote:@ Edwin, I've seen the Baku and Angry Sea vids a couple of times, and I agree with you about single-player, but wasn't that inevitable?

If you're making a modern military fps aren't you always going to be hamstrung by the fact that the campaign twists and tricks, as well as potential antagonists, are as worn out as the adult channel button on hotel tv remotes?

I still like the sound of the single player campaign in BF4, but is it maybe time for everyone to accept that the stories are always going to suffer by comparison to the vignettes created by players in multi-player sessions?

I'm just thinking out loud, but I'd be interested to hear what you think could realistically save the single-player campaigns of the future?

I liked Spec Ops: The Line and its stab at differentiating itself in its story, but short of mining War and Peace, it doesn't seem like fundamental changes are going to happen soon.

Spec Ops: The Line. Is that the one where they go to Dubai with this crazy storm that never ends?
I played a demo of that a few weeks ago and was fairly impressed as far as you CAN be by yet another shooter.
I shall have to find a copy of the full version some time.
And if you want my opinion on what will save single player campaigns of the future: Well, for one thing, Single player is FAR from dead, see Skyrim, or Dishonored or any number of others, but apart from that, the thing that 'saves' single player will be the thing that ALWAYS saves it, time and time again: Eventually after years of the same old guff, a developer brings a Super Mario, a Final Fantasy, a Streetfighter 2 or a Halo to the world and the whole landscape changes.
We're are not locked into multiplayer adversarial shooters, it's only the prevailing genre until someone else takes another giant leap forward.
At least that's how I see it.
PS I always had a vision of everyone playing their own little single player game, while interacting in the same game space as everyone else playing THEIR own little single player, to form one huge, persistent kind of multiplayer. Maybe the next generation will start to realise something along those lines.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Jul 2013, 21:28

@ Wot

If you enjoyed the demo for Spec Ops buy the full game as the demo was far and away the weakest part of the package. Spec Ops is IMO one of the most criminally under rated games to hit the 360. It suffered bay from comparisons to CoD and BF when in fact it's real competition should have been Bioshock. It's a game about plot rather that K/D ratios and is the only anti war shooter you are likely to find. I will continue to champion it as one of my favourite games ever, and I'll still be talking about it long after CoD has died.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 24 Jul 2013, 22:35

Well, well, what a surprise. An article with "Battlefield" in the headline and Call of Duty getting a mention in the responses. Now somebody chimes in complaining about the continual acrimony between both games (me). :roll:

There are distinct personality differences between fans of both games, recorded by a respected institute and illustrated here.
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby battfink83 » 24 Jul 2013, 22:52

battlefield has always been far superior to cod imo, cant understand how cod sells more, maybe the majority of gamers really are very intelligent men and women of all walks of life who are making practical decisions that suit them and their gaming needs personally...... lol.
battfink83 53

Postby Grummy » 24 Jul 2013, 23:37

battfink83 wrote:battlefield has always been far superior to cod imo, cant understand how cod sells more, maybe the majority of gamers really are very intelligent men and women of all walks of life who are making practical decisions that suit them and their gaming needs personally...... lol.

Had to do an edit there, no call to insult people just because they like Call of Duty.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Dave2123 » 25 Jul 2013, 00:01

I think it's a bit naive to say that COD will be over taken next gen. It is by far the most popular franchise and only Halo comes anywhere near it. At the moment Battlefield probably hasn't even been mentioned as a concern by Activision execs. CoD is the most well known franchise and the majority of gamers buy it - casual gamers, that is. They will continue to do so. If they buy an Xbox One, they will go into a game store and they'll look around for a game and the first one they'll notice is CoD, because they are familiar with it and know they like it.

Of course, we may see major switch ups with next gen, but I'm not so sure. I think new IPs will come up, like Watch_Dogs, but the old classics will still be around. If you look at the best selling Xbox games there is Halo, GTA, Fable and it is the same for 360 with the edition of CoD and Gears. The originals are still with us, but others have come up to compete with them. The same will happen next gen.
Dave2123 29

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Jul 2013, 10:09

Dave2123 wrote:I think it's a bit naive to say that COD will be over taken next gen. It is by far the most popular franchise and only Halo comes anywhere near it. At the moment Battlefield probably hasn't even been mentioned as a concern by Activision execs. CoD is the most well known franchise and the majority of gamers buy it - casual gamers, that is. They will continue to do so. If they buy an Xbox One, they will go into a game store and they'll look around for a game and the first one they'll notice is CoD, because they are familiar with it and know they like it.

Of course, we may see major switch ups with next gen, but I'm not so sure. I think new IPs will come up, like Watch_Dogs, but the old classics will still be around. If you look at the best selling Xbox games there is Halo, GTA, Fable and it is the same for 360 with the edition of CoD and Gears. The originals are still with us, but others have come up to compete with them. The same will happen next gen.

I'm not so sure. The reason CoD does so well is the people who only buy a single game each year. This isn't opinion, it's supported by MS achievement data. People who buy one game aren't going to drop £350+ on a new console, whether PS4 or One, for a good number of years which strips away the support net that Acti rely on. The people who do adopt the new consoles early may well buy Ghosts but if it offers nothing new compared to other games taking full advantage of the consoles they may not buy Ghosts 2 the following year. If you've bought new tech you want new experiences; smart glass integration that allows you to play a side mission on the bus, MMO style MP rather than death match and constantly evolving worlds versus just learning a map. Ghosts is offering us a dog.

Add to that the fact Acti won't want to lose the sales of CoD on the 360and you have the possibility it will remain cross platform for a good time after it's competitors have given up which will only further hold back it's development compared to the competition. It will end up looking like a dinosaur, and like the dinosaurs it'll be extinct by the time the 360 players upgrade. Bobby Kotick doesn't accept failure from any franchise, just look at how quickly Guitar Hero was cancelled despite once being their biggest cash cow.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Muppetman51 » 25 Jul 2013, 12:00

@ wot this is what I meant (thankfully someone has had more sleep than me and can present a cogent argument):
CunningSmile wrote:@ Wot

If you enjoyed the demo for Spec Ops buy the full game as the demo was far and away the weakest part of the package. Spec Ops is IMO one of the most criminally under rated games to hit the 360. It suffered bay from comparisons to CoD and BF when in fact it's real competition should have been Bioshock. It's a game about plot rather that K/D ratios and is the only anti war shooter you are likely to find. I will continue to champion it as one of my favourite games ever, and I'll still be talking about it long after CoD has died.

I appreciate that as a whole single player is far from gone, I wasn't suggesting that at all, I just meant that for modern military shooters engaging plot tropes are hard to come by now.
I summon bigger fish to crush Bubble
Muppetman51 41

Next