to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft confirms Xbox One self-publishing - every next gen

Your comments on our articles.

"Our vision is that every person can be a creator," says Marc Whitten

Microsoft's reservations about self-publishing on Xbox One? Consider them put to bed. The firm's chief product officer Marc Whitten has confirmed that the company will, in fact, allow developers to release their own games on the new Xbox without partnering with a publisher. What's more, any Xbox One can be used as a debug unit, able to play work-in-progress games - all you need to do is get Microsoft to send over an authorisation code.... read more

Microsoft confirms Xbox One self-publishing - every next gen

Postby Thos. » 25 Jul 2013, 09:34

This is awesome. The news from Microsoft just keeps getting better. Now lose the K***** and I may stick with Xbox next time!
Thos. 46

Re: Microsoft confirms Xbox One self-publishing - every next

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Jul 2013, 09:36

Thos. wrote:This is awesome. The news from Microsoft just keeps getting better. Now lose the K***** and I may stick with Xbox next time!

Not going to happen mate.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 25 Jul 2013, 09:36

I wonder what other PS4 features MS can "borrow" to make up for the mess they've made so far? :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby OXM ETboy » 25 Jul 2013, 09:46

Would this be the same PS4 feature Sony "borrowed" from Xbox Live Indie Games, Kernow? ;)

/shields up
/braces for obvious rebuttal
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby KernowDevil23 » 25 Jul 2013, 09:48

OXM ETboy wrote:Would this be the same PS4 feature Sony "borrowed" from Xbox Live Indie Games, Kernow? ;)

/shields up
/braces for obvious rebuttal

No need for a shield. No rebuttal here because I hold my head in shame due to my obvious mistake! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby OXM ETboy » 25 Jul 2013, 09:48

CoughNetYarozecough
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby KernowDevil23 » 25 Jul 2013, 09:50

You do raise a great point though Ed.

If MS were all for Indie games (as you quite rightly pointed out, they seemed to be for 360), why would they initially be "against" it on the One?

Seems a little bizarre to me.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby OXM ETboy » 25 Jul 2013, 09:57

I don't think they've ever come out and said they're "against" it. They've just said they're continuing with the existing policy for the moment, and that they're worried about quality assurance, and that "announcements are forthcoming", etc. Notwithstanding that, there's clearly been a lot of toing and froing at Redmond of late.

I think the problem is partly that everybody's so bloody polarised nowadays that there's no room for ambiguity - if you're not one of the True Believers you're a diabolical outsider. Perhaps Microsoft just needed a bit of time to work things out.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby KernowDevil23 » 25 Jul 2013, 10:01

I suppose I just wish MS would stop drip feeding information and just lay all their cards on the table.

"Look this is the Xbox One, this is what it can do, these are the policies we're implementing, these are the launch games, here's a list of games coming in the first 6 months and these are the reasons why you have to have one on launch day!".

Is that asking too much? :D
KernowDevil23 56

Postby OXM ETboy » 25 Jul 2013, 10:13

It certainly isn't. I've developed actual grey hairs writing about the indie/online DRM stuff, and none of it matters anymore. Bah.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Jigster1 » 25 Jul 2013, 10:15

KernowDevil23 wrote:I suppose I just wish MS would stop drip feeding information and just lay all their cards on the table.

"Look this is the Xbox One, this is what it can do, these are the policies we're implementing, these are the launch games, here's a list of games coming in the first 6 months and these are the reasons why you have to have one on launch day!".

If they did that then they wouldn't have anything to announce at GamesCom and TGS :!: Apparently this was going to be one of MS's big announcements at GamesCom and were pissed at Gameinformer for leaking it!
Jigster1 46

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Jul 2013, 10:19

KernowDevil23 wrote:I suppose I just wish MS would stop drip feeding information and just lay all their cards on the table.

I agree entirely. As I quoted before my girlfriend summed it up perfectly for me the other night "Just grow a pair MS. It's not our jobs to tell you what to make because we don't know the options, it's your job to sell us what you can produce."

They seemed to have focused on nothing but negatives for the first few months, and let themselves get torn apart by internet backlash mostly fuelled by rumors and speculation from annonymous blogs rather than anything concrete, when their E3 should have been two hours of "This is great, this is why it's great, this is how it'll change the way games work and if you don't like it Sony are up next but plenty of others will like it."
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 25 Jul 2013, 10:39

I wonder if they'll allow 'adult' (ie. 18+) games indie games now?

Their refusual to allow things with extreme violence, heavy swearing, nudity and the lot means the current indie marketplace is swarmed with terrible watered down games, and the games that are more adult are nearly always horrible parody games which involve nothing but some cartoon cleavage.

Why should an AAA dev be allowed to have what they want in a game yet not an indie? well ok obviously the answer is money, but still
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Jul 2013, 10:42

You just want to see a pair of tits don't you.

Did that get you hot and bothered?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby PonderingWalrus » 25 Jul 2013, 11:10

FishyGinger wrote:You just want to see a pair of tits don't you.

Did that get you hot and bothered?

Woah! Those look like Great Tits as well.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Next