to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft quashes rumours that the Xbox One will ship withou

Your comments on our articles.

"We believe in Kinect and the value it brings"

Inside Gaming Daily had the rumour mill churning yesterday when it cited an anonymous source had 'confirmed' that the console would eventually ship in a Kinect-less bundle, possibly by next summer.... read more

Microsoft quashes rumours that the Xbox One will ship withou

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 25 Jul 2013, 10:56

I read this report yesterday, and the first thought I had was that next Summer is far too soon, but it will come.

But is also the case that even if next Summer was on the cards and the One is to ship Kinectless, it would be akin to signing the death-warrant for the One at launch because their is a sizable (and vocal!) percentage of people who do not want Kinect and if it was confirmed that they could pay less for the One by forgoing the a peripheral they don't want, and all they had to do was to wait 9 months after release, they would. And as it appears that the One and PS4 are to be released within days of each other, it's not a launch battle that Microsoft would want to lose. Ultimately, even if the rumours were true, Microsoft would be forced to deny it in the light of the potential loses they would make if people chose to wait. Personally, I've been saying that being able to buy a One without a Kinect will be possible, but I think we will not see it happen until between 3 and 5 years following launch.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Microsoft quashes rumours that the Xbox One will ship wi

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Jul 2013, 12:00

You'll say it will happen in 3 to 5 years Turtle but I'd counter by saying that by then there will be so many One games that use Kinect in an integral way that buying a One without a Kinect would make about as much sense as releasing the 360 without a control pad would.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Aphasial » 25 Jul 2013, 12:54

Personally I'm looking forward to getting the XB1 with the kinnect. I don't have kinnect for the 360 so perhaps I'm not as jaded as people who bought the original and were disappointed by its failings but quite frankly I don't care about that. Technology evolves and the potential the kinnect has for gaming has me pretty excited.

So while I agree that I beleive that MS will never make a U turn on kinnect and by several years down the line it would be pointless for them to release a kinnectless bundle, I'm happy about this fact because it means regardless of how people feel, gaming will evolve instead of stagnate

'These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.'
Jayne Cobb, Firefly
Aphasial 22

Postby SilentDark » 25 Jul 2013, 12:57

CunningSmile wrote:You'll say it will happen in 3 to 5 years Turtle but I'd counter by saying that by then there will be so many One games that use Kinect in an integral way that buying a One without a Kinect would make about as much sense as releasing the 360 without a control pad would.

Well I suppose that remains to be seen. Given that most multiplatform games will have to be designed without kinect for the PS4 crowd I wouldn't be surprised if the games that do end up using kinect make it optional, something that can be turned on or off, not unlike Child of Eden which functions with or without the kinect.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 25 Jul 2013, 12:59

CunningSmile wrote:You'll say it will happen in 3 to 5 years Turtle but I'd counter by saying that by then there will be so many One games that use Kinect in an integral way that buying a One without a Kinect would make about as much sense as releasing the 360 without a control pad would.

Accepted that by then many developers will have integrated Kinect into their games, but just as with the in-cock-pit view in Grid, the developers will be able to monitor just how many people use it, and if the investment is not matched by the usage, the developers will simply cease to include it in their games, and I warrant that a lot of people will not use the Kinect facility. It may be that there is a resistance at the start and that with time more will use it, equally it may be that many people will use it at the start and then the fad will pass (a Wii effect if you will).

Time will tell and no one can predict exactly what will happen (we'd all be rich if we had such an ability), but if you listen to the current voices of resistance and dissent, it is reasonable to surmise that the take up will not necessarily reach the desires of Microsoft, and if that affects the developers will to include it in their games (because the implementation cost is not matched by its use) and if the inclusion of Kinect does indeed impact on sales of the One, the only logical conclusion is for Microsoft to re-evaluate their plans for Kinect. Unless of course, Microsoft and the developers come up with something really innovative that causes all the naysayers to change their opinion, but truth be told it doesn't appear that they have managed to do that in time for launch of the One, and scepticism is rife as to whether they really can. But to admit defeat within 12 months of the launch of the One would be pretty humiliating for Microsoft, and in fairness, they and the developers should be given time and chance to demonstrate why we need the Kinect. But I standby my view within 3-5 years we will see a Kinectless One, and hopefully Microsoft will engender some goodwill from those that didn't want to pay for a peripheral that they don't want and will see the continued success of Microsoft and the One.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby CadX » 25 Jul 2013, 14:05

I hope that they never ship a console without Kinect, and I don't understand why people would want the console without Kinect, granted it would be undeniably cheaper by £100 or so, but then you'll have 2 next generation consoles which are more or less exactly the same as each other. In my opinion since they have removed the DRM and digital licensing, having Kinect 2.0 is the only thing that makes the Xbox One truly next generation (if the new Kinect lives up to its promise that is).
CadX 26

Postby SilentDark » 25 Jul 2013, 14:44

I think the reason some people don't want the kinect is firstly the cost, you could probably tear and £80-£100 hole in the cost at least and secondly kinect has demonstrated itself so far as something of a gimmick, we can only really judge based on what has gone before and while the new kinect will be more accurate and do more things we haven't yet seen a decent demonstration of this.

If Microsoft really want to sell the kinect (and of you pro-kinect peoples out there, how many of you thought the Wii was a good idea when that was first announced hmm?) they need to create games, and encourage third parties to create games that they can turn around and say "This is only possible with the kinect, we could not do this without it." Although at my most optimistic I think MS will give us maybe 2 games that they can say this about but they really need to give us a lot more.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby yunoyuluvit » 25 Jul 2013, 15:00

I wonder if Sony faced this much grief when they forced a Blu Ray drive on everyone? It added a big chunk on the cost of a PS3 and yet offered virtually no benefit to gamers, outside of the half a dozen-or-so games that wouldn't fit on a single DVD, but merely served to get Blu Ray players into as many homes as possible.
Last edited by yunoyuluvit on 25 Jul 2013, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
yunoyuluvit 40

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 25 Jul 2013, 15:03

SilentDark wrote:....but they really need to give us a lot more.

An awful lot more if they are to justify the inclusion of 2.0 which is paid for by every single person that buys the One. Totally agree with you Silent, and the problem is that with what they have shown us up until now, Microsoft are basically asking us to trust them that we will benefit from having 2.0 at some point in the future, whereas I believe that the future is a long way off and trust is hard to come by. At the point of release, Microsoft should be offering a bulging box of innovative 2.0 related games and products, but in reality they are not really offering much at all.

Buying into a vision, when the vision hasn't been explained, and there is no evidence that anything will come of it is a very big ask indeed.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 25 Jul 2013, 15:05

yunoyuluvit wrote:I wonder if Sony faced this much grief when they forced a Blu Ray drive on everyone? It added abig chunk on the cost of a PS3 and yet offered virtually no benefit to gamers, outside of the half a dozen-or-so games that wouldn't fit on a single DVD, but merely served to get Blu Ray players into as many homes as possible.

Yes. They did. And the gamers voted with their wallets with many choosing the Xbox over the PS3 even though they had held out on buying the 360 on release. Indeed, the PS3 really only began to gain ground on the 360 when the Blu-Ray won the HD war and people saw the PS3 as a cheap means of getting one. Many people only bought the PS3 in order to have a Blu-Ray player as they were very expensive upon release, and even now, a high percentage of people that own a PS3 actually have a 360 is well, and this is reflected in the sales of cross-platform games where the 360 always sells more than the PS3.
Last edited by AllusiveTurtle on 25 Jul 2013, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby KernowDevil23 » 25 Jul 2013, 15:06

yunoyuluvit wrote:I wonder if Sony faced this much grief when they forced a Blu Ray drive on everyone? It added abig chunk on the cost of a PS3 and yet offered virtually no benefit to gamers, outside of the half a dozen-or-so games that wouldn't fit on a single DVD, but merely served to get Blu Ray players into as many homes as possible.

I think the XB1 has a Blu-Ray drive? :?
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 25 Jul 2013, 15:11

KernowDevil23 wrote:

I think the XB1 has a Blu-Ray drive? :?

I think the reference was to the uproar over Kinect and the price of the One, and the whether there was such an uproar over the inclusion of Blu-Ray player on the PS3, which increased the price of the console over the 360.
Last edited by AllusiveTurtle on 25 Jul 2013, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby yunoyuluvit » 25 Jul 2013, 15:28

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I think the reference was to the uproar over Kinect and the price of the One, and the whether there was such an uproar over the inclusion of Blu-Ray player on the PS3, which increased the price of the console of the 360.

Correct. Apologies for not making myself totally clear.

I totally agree that there isn't currently sufficient to convince those on the fence to invest in a One. Hopefully, we will see more of what it has to offer over the next few months, leading up to it's release.
yunoyuluvit 40

Postby Branhelm » 25 Jul 2013, 17:22

My only worry with Kinect being forced is that developers may make it so games that ordinarily wouldn't need kinect to do something now do. (Dead Rising 3 using Kinect to shove zombies of you, when 1 and 2 just needed a controller) Hopefully this will not happen and they will make it optional (i know a lot of developers have said that this is the case). I'm sure Kinect will make a lot of things happen that could not before, but this worry comes from the fact I have been playing games on my controller for all my life. I like to just sit and use my controller when I play. This is one of the reasons I against all these "online only" games. The games themselves look fun as hell, but what about if I wanted to enjoy it alone, not online? I can't.

I'm sure when these things happen it will happen well, and I'm sure that a lot of my feelings (and many, many other peoples too) are simply because we don't have these things yet, so we can only see the negatives.
Branhelm 24

Postby MrT666 » 25 Jul 2013, 17:49

The whole thing is just a mess! The more i read or hear about it the less convinced i am about it being anything other than a nuisance, the daft thing needs to be connected, how far do you need to be from it, have i even room for it and do i really want to be waving my arms around like an idiot?? I thought consoles were meant to be simple? Microsoft have messed up big time on this rubbish. A lot of time and money wasted on nothing. Time to cancel my xbox live subscription.
MrT666 18

Next