to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM access -

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft Studios boss denies claim that self-publishing system has limits

There's a report doing the rounds that Microsoft's support for self-publishing on Xbox One only applies to the console's Windows-derived partition, which is used chiefly for apps such as movie services and Skype. That's not the idea at all, according to Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer.... read more

Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM access -

Postby Maximus T » 25 Jul 2013, 16:04

I definitely think that online connectivity can really be beneficial to single player games. I am nearly always online when I play, even when I play single player, for the simple reason that I can still chat with my friends. Given the choice of either or, I would play single player online the entire time. There are no negatives! You can even set it so nobody knows you're online if you want!
Image
A benzene ring changes everything.
User avatar
Maximus T 67
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: 14 May 2013, 14:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby Timmeh555 » 25 Jul 2013, 16:09

Maximus T wrote:I definitely think that online connectivity can really be beneficial to single player games. I am nearly always online when I play, even when I play single player, for the simple reason that I can still chat with my friends. Given the choice of either or, I would play single player online the entire time. There are no negatives! You can even set it so nobody knows you're online if you want!

Agreed, some of the best looking games are connected in single player, Forza 5 with drivatar looks great and it would be nice to have and "AI" which is not completely predictable.
Timmeh555 44
 
Posts: 275
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:35
Location: United Kingdom

Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM access -

Postby Jenga » 25 Jul 2013, 16:09

I think its a little unfair how developers who have already jumped ship so to speak are trying to drag the X1 through the mud. Where was it said that devs would only be able to use 3Gb of RAM? Maybe one of the reasons MS are slow with updates on the X1 is because they are constantly having to reply to insidious rumours by jaded individuals. I like the idea of leaderboards etc in a game, I'm still trying to beat some of the highscores on Mark of a Ninja, but hopefully they will be in addition to and not a requirement for playing single player games.
Jenga 19
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 18:02

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Jul 2013, 16:13

I'm really bored now of people on Twitter and other methods of communication talking like they are the chosen spokes person for the entire gaming world.

Yet more "People want to play single player offline" statements as if they are fact? Really HellspawnRei? Have you got the survey results to back that up? I'm not saying you are wrong, but it's a bit of a sweeping statement with no corroboration offered. It also harks back to a by gone day before Broadband when you needed to keep logging on and off the net rather than it being something constantly connected as it is for probably the vast majority of Xbx users.

Or do you mean you want to play SP offline? Seems more likely to me, but please stop speaking on my behalf because you don't know me and frankly have my needs completely wrong.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
User avatar
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby DJoe1899 » 25 Jul 2013, 16:35

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/xbox ... ublishing/
"I have no interest in even buying an Xbox One, let alone developing for it."

Why would people ask a dev who states that he hated working with Microsoft, is not developing for Microsoft's console, and has no plans to buy Microsoft's console for this policy?because people can blame MS again?
DJoe1899 6
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:33

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Jul 2013, 16:51

Man behind visually very basic game wants more resources than current triple A games use?

Righto. When he makes an indie game on those other platforms that use more than 3gig of ram I'll try to understand his argument.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 69
 
Posts: 4263
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby ChaoticP » 25 Jul 2013, 18:42

Xbox One is getting sexier by the day
ChaoticP 51
 
Posts: 426
Joined: 04 Jul 2013, 02:51

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby KernowDevil23 » 25 Jul 2013, 18:45

ChaoticP wrote:Xbox One is getting sexier by the day


Mmmm....whatever floats your boat I suppose. :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
User avatar
KernowDevil23 56
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 21:53

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby ChaoticP » 26 Jul 2013, 05:34

KernowDevil23 wrote:
ChaoticP wrote:Xbox One is getting sexier by the day


Mmmm....whatever floats your boat I suppose. :lol:


what do you mean?
ChaoticP 51
 
Posts: 426
Joined: 04 Jul 2013, 02:51

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby Grummy » 26 Jul 2013, 05:37

ChaoticP wrote:
KernowDevil23 wrote:
Mmmm....whatever floats your boat I suppose. :lol:


what do you mean?


Not sure if serious or too young to understand innuendo :?
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 8935
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby ChaoticP » 26 Jul 2013, 07:16

Grummy wrote:
ChaoticP wrote:
what do you mean?


Not sure if serious or too young to understand innuendo :?


Joking bro, I guess I should have put a smiley :D
ChaoticP 51
 
Posts: 426
Joined: 04 Jul 2013, 02:51

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby KernowDevil23 » 26 Jul 2013, 09:34

I really should qualify my audience!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
User avatar
KernowDevil23 56
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 21:53

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby SilentDark » 26 Jul 2013, 12:25

CunningSmile wrote:I'm really bored now of people on Twitter and other methods of communication talking like they are the chosen spokes person for the entire gaming world.

Yet more "People want to play single player offline" statements as if they are fact? Really HellspawnRei? Have you got the survey results to back that up? I'm not saying you are wrong, but it's a bit of a sweeping statement with no corroboration offered. It also harks back to a by gone day before Broadband when you needed to keep logging on and off the net rather than it being something constantly connected as it is for probably the vast majority of Xbx users.

Or do you mean you want to play SP offline? Seems more likely to me, but please stop speaking on my behalf because you don't know me and frankly have my needs completely wrong.


I think I'm going to have to both disagree and agree with you on that one, on the one hand I can see how annoying it is to see people act as the "peope's champion" and speak as if they speak for everyone. On the other hand I think I can see where HellspawnRei's concerns come from. When the "infinite power of the Cloud" was first announced my biggest concern was how dependant games would become on it. If even single player games required an internet connection to function it was something that didn't interest me because firstly, no internet connection is 100% guaranteed, problems can and do arise that can cut you off, secondly LIVE has a time limit, when the next machine comes our at some point MS turns off LIVE on it's predecessor, games which require an online connection don't interest me because of this. If "the infinte power of the Cloud" is used as an enhancement without becoming completely necessary it's something I could live with, if the net ever does go down in my place well it's not a huge problem, if games require access to "the infinite power of the Cloud" even in single player, well personally I won't be buying those games.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 63
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Jul 2013, 12:43

Glad you don't entirely agree Dark because that's scary when it happens :wink:

And it's not just this guy, it's all the self appointed 'people's champion' types that get on my wick. I tend to disagree with them more than i think they speak for me and more often than not they just remind me of little old ladies standing on the side lines saying "We never did that in my day," and blocking any sort of change or evolution.

Really makes me glad the internet wasn't around when fish were first debating whether making the jump to land was a good idea or not :lol:
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
User avatar
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Microsoft doesn't want to limit indie Xbox One RAM acces

Postby Maximus T » 26 Jul 2013, 12:45

Good point about the seemingly finite time scale for the cloud and live, as it will leave some of the always online games unplayable. However, that is in the rather distant future from now, so I don't see it becoming an immediate problem. And hey, if you buy physical, you can sell it on before that point so it isn't your problem to try and flog an unplayable game. I am sure games with single player elements will remain functional in some capacity. This generation is due to be a long one though.
Image
A benzene ring changes everything.
User avatar
Maximus T 67
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: 14 May 2013, 14:40
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Average Gamer, Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]