to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Kinect Sports Rival delayed until Spring 2014

Your comments on our articles.

Rare needs a little extra time to add some polish

Bad news, sports fans. It's looking like Kinect Sports Rivals will not feature as part of the Xbox One's Day One launch lineup after all; it's now being listed for a Spring 2014 release.... read more

Kinect Sports Rival delayed until Spring 2014

Postby J Meiser » 26 Jul 2013, 09:51

I was going to pre-order this game so my wife and I had something we both could play on the day (she isn't much of a console gamer). Looks like a me-only alternative will have to do :mrgreen:...
J Meiser 40

Re: Kinect Sports Rival delayed until Spring 2014

Postby KernowDevil23 » 26 Jul 2013, 10:20

I'm actually quite pleased they've decided to delay the release.

With the furore surrounding the inclusion of Kinect 2.0, I would hope for no more half assed games being released just for the sake of releasing them. If Rare need more time to make the game a showcase for Kinect 2.0, that should be applauded.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby SmgUk » 26 Jul 2013, 10:36

Not a big deal although some people are making it out to be the Sony fans are already at work spouting stuff like "even less reason to have a Kinect on day one". Are people really that stupid?
SmgUk 27

Postby Chameleon » 26 Jul 2013, 10:45

Disappointed, as it was going to be a day-one purchase for me. Will happily accept the delay if it makes it a better game, tho.
Chameleon 44

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 26 Jul 2013, 11:18

SmgUk wrote:Not a big deal although some people are making it out to be the Sony fans are already at work spouting stuff like "even less reason to have a Kinect on day one". Are people really that stupid?

Why do you have to be a Sony Fan Boy to feel that way? For many, Kinect is being foisted upon us as a device we do not want but are paying for if we wish to remain loyal to the Microsoft brand. I have argued long and hard on these forums that for the Kinect to be included within the One box that Microsoft and the developers need to come up with something innovative to justify its inclusion (and I don't believe Rivals to be that anyway). My concern has long been that not only do many not want it, but also that there is nothing to justify its conclusion. I can understand that Rivals may need further work in order to add the wow factor, and I have previously argued that if developers need more time then the One should be delayed, but this does genuinely make the whole inclusion of Kinect still more questionable, as the flagship Kinect title is no longer going to be available at launch and the whole justification of 2.0's inclusion is weakened as a result. To say that just Sony Fan Boys feel this way is incredibly disingenuous and naïve.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Jul 2013, 12:16

Once again Turtle we get back to my belief that you are being too narrow about what a 'Kinect' title is. I think the best show case for the tech so far is actually DR3 as it has some very interesting uses for both motion controls and voice interaction that is adding something new to an established franchise, and replacing what would probably be QTE with something more instinctive.

You keep saying that you think MS need to release something Wow to show of the technology, but also seem to think they can only do this by releasing the same sort of things they've always released, a tactic that has already failed. Kinect 2.0 isn't about waving your arms around to play Wii rip offs, it's about interesting features in every game.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 26 Jul 2013, 12:33

CunningSmile wrote:You keep saying that you think MS need to release something Wow to show of the technology, but also seem to think they can only do this by releasing the same sort of things they've always released, a tactic that has already failed. Kinect 2.0 isn't about waving your arms around to play Wii rip offs, it's about interesting features in every game.

I'd add that it's not just a feature for games but considered an integral part of the machine for all aspects of its use. Much like the wii-u pad.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby SilentDark » 26 Jul 2013, 12:39

CunningSmile wrote:Once again Turtle we get back to my belief that you are being too narrow about what a 'Kinect' title is. I think the best show case for the tech so far is actually DR3 as it has some very interesting uses for both motion controls and voice interaction that is adding something new to an established franchise, and replacing what would probably be QTE with something more instinctive.

You keep saying that you think MS need to release something Wow to show of the technology, but also seem to think they can only do this by releasing the same sort of things they've always released, a tactic that has already failed. Kinect 2.0 isn't about waving your arms around to play Wii rip offs, it's about interesting features in every game.

But when you integrate motion controls into games which would happily work without them what exactly does that prove? That you can put motion controls in a game. A rather modest claim if you ask me. If MS want to sell the kinect they need to give us games that just wouldn't work without it. Adding motion controls into an action game or an FPS, what exactly does it demonstrate? MS needed something that said "This is what the kinect can give you, you can't have this without the kinect." otherwise what you are left with is a very expensive mandatory device which at best adds some funny gimmicks into your games which you may or may not appreciate.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 26 Jul 2013, 12:45

I actually agree with part of what you say, Cunning, and in fairness I did say that I don't think Rivals was the game on the back of which 2.0 should be sold (sort of!). I cannot quite see where you get the idea that I want to see more of what came before, as that is far from what I think, as I completely agree with you when you say it failed before and so is not something that we would want to see again (and as I've said before, I really don't see me prancing around to ABBA or attempting to knock over 10 imaginary skittles. So repeating what has gone before is, for me, a huge no no.

I think it fair to say that we will always (politely! :D ) disagree over the inclusion of 2.0. The issue as I see it is where does something cease to be a gimmick and instead transcend into innovation. I do think that the heart-rate monitoring for Dead Rising 3 is mildly interesting, though I do hope that they do not just have a level at which they consider you scared, as I have a resting heart-rate of 51, which is below the average (and that's before I get on my opiates!). I also wonder whether it can tell the difference between fear and excitement, as both would elevate the heart-rate. But I digress, the question remains whether this is innovation or a gimmick. Generally it is far quicker to press a button than to let go of a controller, raise a hand and make a gesture (and with 1.0 correct the gesture multiple times!), so it needs to be something that cannot be done through the press of a button.

I'll be honest and say I don't know what I would consider to be innovative when it comes to the implementation of 2.0. I probably haven't given it enough thought, but also, as I don't make games I wouldn't know where to best implement Kinect functions. I think for me, for 2.0 to be implemented in an innovative manner, it needs to be something that a controller cannot do, which is where I do see the heart-rate monitor as adding something to gaming (though just how good it will be remains to be seen). When it comes to background sound, I have issues with its use in a game such as DS3, as I have a noisy 10 years old and 4 extremely noisy and horny cats and so I do hope that there will be the facility to switch off those elements of 2.0 that you don't want to try, as being eviscerated by a zombie because my oldest and slightly senile cat is being dry-humped by a frisky youngster (cat, not my 10 year old!), is not something that I look forward to.

For me its the subtle implementation of 2.0 where it does something beyond the capabilities of the controller, that it begins to justify its inclusion in the One box. The problem is that there doesn't as yet appear to be much in the way of innovation when it comes to the issue of gaming, and whilst it can be used for non-gaming related functions (changing TV channels, music etc. etc.) for me, the console is only for the purpose of gaming, and so the fact that it can do such things is irrelevant, though I might be tempted to use 2.0 for the purpose of Skype, but I guess that is unlikely as I have a webcam that I don't use for that purpose so probabilities are that wouldn't use the 2.0 for it either.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Jul 2013, 12:53

SilentDark wrote:But when you integrate motion controls into games which would happily work without them what exactly does that prove? That you can put motion controls in a game. A rather modest claim if you ask me. If MS want to sell the kinect they need to give us games that just wouldn't work without it. Adding motion controls into an action game or an FPS, what exactly does it demonstrate? MS needed something that said "This is what the kinect can give you, you can't have this without the kinect." otherwise what you are left with is a very expensive mandatory device which at best adds some funny gimmicks into your games which you may or may not appreciate.

But by producing a game that uses nothing BUT Kinect all you are really proving is that you can copy Wii games and self styled hardcore gamers won't buy it if it came with a free copy og GTA5.

Personally I'd rather have it as a part of every game I play, with features I can use or not, than have games that use nothing but. No one has figured out a good method of forward movement yet, and I don't think they will. No one has figured out how an over weight slob can play a motion controlled game for more than twenty seconds without having some form of attack, and I don't think they will.

However DR3 has figured out how to replace a QTE in order to shake off a zombie attack and that alone is almost enough to justify it to me.

Even when it was first announced I've never seen Kinect as a viable alternative to a controller, but as an addition to it I think it has the potential to be as revolutionary as the guy at Nintendo who first said "hey guys, why don't we put a second button the pad?"
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 26 Jul 2013, 13:01

SilentDark wrote:But when you integrate motion controls into games which would happily work without them what exactly does that prove?

What if it makes a game better?

Anyway this all sounds vaguely familiar.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby KernowDevil23 » 26 Jul 2013, 13:06

FishyGinger wrote:Anyway this all sounds vaguely familiar.

I'm actually going to stop posting in "new" debates and just copy/paste one of the many, many, many posts on the same subjects.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 26 Jul 2013, 13:26

KernowDevil23 wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:Anyway this all sounds vaguely familiar.

I'm actually going to stop posting in "new" debates and just copy/paste one of the many, many, many posts on the same subjects.

I kind of agree with both you and Fishy, over this. But I guess that is why these forums exist; a place where people can express their opinions (no matter how misguided!) and evidence their views. I suppose it goes to show the passion that we all feel for the issue of gaming, and our views of the steps and missteps that are taken in our name. I do feel that I end up repeating my stance time and time again, but if people didn't express their views then these forums would be pretty desolate. Besides, I cannot work out (or be bothered!) how to find a particular piece that I have previously written, and quite enjoy the formulation of a (generally!) well thought out piece of writing in support of my opinion. Sad I know, but true!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby KernowDevil23 » 26 Jul 2013, 13:41

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Besides, I cannot work out (or be bothered!) how to find a particular piece that I have previously written

Click on your own username then click on "Search Users Posts".

Simple!
KernowDevil23 56

Postby FishyGinger » 26 Jul 2013, 13:43

AllusiveTurtle wrote:
I kind of agree with both you and Fishy, over this. But I guess that is why these forums exist; a place where people can express their opinions (no matter how misguided!) and evidence their views. I suppose it goes to show the passion that we all feel for the issue of gaming, and our views of the steps and missteps that are taken in our name. I do feel that I end up repeating my stance time and time again, but if people didn't express their views then these forums would be pretty desolate. Besides, I cannot work out (or be bothered!) how to find a particular piece that I have previously written, and quite enjoy the formulation of a (generally!) well thought out piece of writing in support of my opinion. Sad I know, but true!

You don't need to refrain from having misguided opinions but this particular topic has gone round and round. And to quoth the Fishy,

FishyFonz, he so cool wrote:the thought power of 500,000 japanese kittens
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Next