to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

How Splinter Cell: Blacklist conquered my inner stealth fana

Your comments on our articles.

Ed walks softly and carries a big stick

For years, a waspish mental voice has nagged. "You could have been subtler about that," it pines, as I glare blearily at yet another heap of ripped, shredded NPCs. "You didn't have to go in 'all guns blazing'. Was it really necessary to shatter that poor man's patella? You could have shot out the ceiling lights, or snuck through a vent, or done anything except erupt into a whirlwind of roundhouse kicks and stabbing."... read more

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Jul 2013, 13:03

You're a drifting, shifting terror, and this takes Cunning

I'm not that frightening surely? :(
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Re: How Splinter Cell: Blacklist conquered my inner stealth

Postby OXM ETboy » 26 Jul 2013, 13:06

You can be our Panther mod, if you like ;)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bugsquat » 26 Jul 2013, 13:06

I love the look of this game, I'm practcally sold on it. But...there's no Michael Ironside - that's like swapping Steve Downes alias Master Chief with Steve Blum and telling us that's alright. Maybe Michael decided not to continue or that his stepping down was a mutual decision between himself and Ubisoft, but, to me at least, it just wouldn't be the same. I've known Sam Fisher since I was, like, nine, and to have such a crucial aspect of his character now changed, it wouldn't feel right.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby Maximus T » 26 Jul 2013, 13:19

Bugsquat wrote:I love the look of this game, I'm practcally sold on it. But...there's no Michael Ironside - that's like swapping Steve Downes alias Master Chief with Steve Blum and telling us that's alright. Maybe Michael decided not to continue or that his stepping down was a mutual decision between himself and Ubisoft, but, to me at least, it just wouldn't be the same. I've known Sam Fisher since I was, like, nine, and to have such a crucial aspect of his character now changed, it wouldn't feel right.

I don't particularly want to start an argument here but the logical reasons as to why Michael Ironside is not reprising his role is the method of voice capture does motion capture at the same time (which Ironside is not really physically capable of), I have also heard that Ironside himself did not want the role anymore, and personally I think Master Chief is a bit boring (please don't kill me!) Rookie and Noble 6 ftw! :D I can empathise with a long term fan despite only being a more recent fan myself, but look at all the iterations of James Bond!
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby Bugsquat » 26 Jul 2013, 13:27

Maximus T wrote:
Bugsquat wrote:I love the look of this game, I'm practcally sold on it. But...there's no Michael Ironside - that's like swapping Steve Downes alias Master Chief with Steve Blum and telling us that's alright. Maybe Michael decided not to continue or that his stepping down was a mutual decision between himself and Ubisoft, but, to me at least, it just wouldn't be the same. I've known Sam Fisher since I was, like, nine, and to have such a crucial aspect of his character now changed, it wouldn't feel right.

I don't particularly want to start an argument here but the logical reasons as to why Michael Ironside is not reprising his role is the method of voice capture does motion capture at the same time (which Ironside is not really physically capable of), I have also heard that Ironside himself did not want the role anymore, and personally I think Master Chief is a bit boring (please don't kill me!) Rookie and Noble 6 ftw! :D I can empathise with a long term fan despite only being a more recent fan myself, but look at all the iterations of James Bond!

Well...yeah, I guess. What the hey, I'll give it a go.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby FishyGinger » 26 Jul 2013, 13:46

CunningSmile wrote:
I'm not that frightening surely? :(

I've seen your avatar, it was a little scary.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby morrisboo » 26 Jul 2013, 20:41

looks like a return to form :) didn't particularly think splinter cell was any good after the first one..
wish theyd do an anniversary update of original splinter cell ala halo, just like halo nothing will beat the original :)
morrisboo 18

Postby Dave2123 » 26 Jul 2013, 22:54

This game is a definite buy for me; everything about it appeals to what I want in a game. I don't really like the description of panther, that doesn't appeal to me, but playing as a ghost on the hardest difficulty sounds absolutely epic. I'm sure that panther, because it's a lot easier, would appeal to most people, as is evident by how much easier video games have got over this generation and since the last one - it's like people just don't want to be challenged anymore and just want to complete a game within a few hours without thinking about it (this is why I liked AC3 so much and, as I'm sure some of you aware, why I think it's miles better than AC2 and have sometimes gone a bit over the top when people say 2 is better (there's nothing in it that's better)). However, getting back on track, Blacklist looks fantastic and I can't wait to get it. The other modes look great too.
Dave2123 29

Postby UlysessJDuckett » 27 Jul 2013, 13:01

By all reports his game just get's better and better, roll on release day!
UlysessJDuckett 23

Postby scham81 » 29 Jul 2013, 21:32

Maximus T wrote:

Michael Ironside was involve in the game though, they bough him in to teach the new guy what makes Fisher Fisher. I always did hope for a later patch that let you change the voice to his
scham81 33

Postby Spacedragon1999 » 07 Aug 2013, 09:12

This game just keeps on sounding better every day! Assault appeals least to me; going all out, guns blazing, is the exact opposite of what Splinter Cell is about. Personally I think alternating between Ghost and Panther when the need arises is the best way to go. Ghost is a return to the heart and soul of Splinter Cell and what it represents; skulking in the shadows, leaving no trace of your existence is what its all about! 8)
Spacedragon1999 6

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 18 Aug 2013, 04:49

I always felt an unexplained lack of satisfaction with stealth em ups. The inner angel/devil might just be the reason as to why.

Have to disagree somewhat with the original Splinter Cell; While it was certainly a great game of it's day, I felt progression in the game was far more random chance. Trial and error. You could do the right thing, the same thing you've done a dozen times before and progressed, only THIS time you get caught and killed. I'm of the opinion that stealth games are generally better NOW than they were THEN (Metal Gear Solid being a noticeable exception).

Anyhow, this here game looks and sounds truly remarkable, based on your article. I shall relay the news among my covenent of X360 owning friends that Sam Fisher is back and demanding £40 from everyone, so we all better start coughing up.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35