to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Phil Fish cancels Fez 2 after being called a "tosspot" and a

Your comments on our articles.

"This is isn't the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign."

I'm guessing many of you may have spotted this already - I was up at the crack of 11am on Sunday myself, discussing the ins and outs with Ben "Edwin: Weekend Edition" Borthwick and Kernow "Woe Unto The Troll" Devil on Twitter. Still, here we go for the latecomers: Fez 2 has been cancelled in the wake of an incredibly violent shouting match 'twixt creator Phil Fish, fans and assorted members of the press.... read more

Phil Fish cancels Fez 2 after being called a "tosspot" and a

Postby Metalrodent » 29 Jul 2013, 10:30

the man is a grade A ****, I would like to make the request that you never give him coverage again, he deserves no publicity and shouldn't be given any platform to allow his stupid arrogant mouth to speak
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Re: Phil Fish cancels Fez 2 after being called a "tosspot" a

Postby seiibutsu » 29 Jul 2013, 10:40

The difference between "press" and developers.

The press have a duty to remain neutral and professional about these things. The devs dont have to say anything to anyone if they dont want to, especially indie, all the have to do is, well, develop.
Writing words and playing games. oh and eating sakes and lots of other stuff too...
seiibutsu 21

Postby atw » 29 Jul 2013, 10:46

What a pathetic man. The Internet is full of silly abuse and you've just got to get over it. If someone doesn't like you there's nothing that can be done other than to ignore them. There were probably lots of people waiting for this game and this guy's rage has ruined it.
atw 23

Postby schwepterbrowser » 29 Jul 2013, 10:51

I'm totally with Marcus. I watch Annoyed Gamer and have interacted with the man himself; he's a good bloke and was really "in character" when he said those things on Invisible Walls, but at the core of it he gave Fish much deserved criticism. What he said was valid and I agree with him.

I also watched it all blow up a few nights ago as it happened on Twitter - Fish is a childish muppet. Already disliked him after watching Indie Game: The Movie, now I'm quite frankly glad he's left games behind.
schwepterbrowser 56

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Jul 2013, 11:03

seiibutsu wrote:The difference between "press" and developers.

The press have a duty to remain neutral and professional about these things. The devs dont have to say anything to anyone if they dont want to, especially indie, all the have to do is, well, develop.

The difference between developers and consumers?

All developers have to do is, well, develop. All consumers have to do is decide not to buy a product from a childish arsehat who wishes death upon people and refuses to patch a game that shipped in a game breaking state and instead announces that he's going to "...take the money and run..."

I don't know about MS policies but in the UK selling a defective product and then doing a runner with the profits is considered fraud.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Jul 2013, 11:16

I always suspected his fishy credentials weren't up to scratch.

It's a shame though, everyone likes a hate figure that's so far up themselves not even a de-rectomy would save them and he makes it so easy for everyone to dislike him. I'll have to continue my hatred towards Mickey Bubles.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby squirrelofDoom » 29 Jul 2013, 11:24

Can't someone come up with a social media site just for morans and trolls so they can scream and shout till their fingers fall off. Then again, that's all twitter is these days.
squirrelofDoom 25

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Jul 2013, 11:27

squirrelofDoom wrote:Can't someone come up with a social media site just for morans and trolls so they can scream and shout till their fingers fall off. Then again, that's all twitter is these days.

I can only think of Dylan Moran, that would be a pretty limp social media site if only he was on it.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby mulieman » 29 Jul 2013, 12:08

This whole thing is ridiculous and to be honest abit like two really weedy kids have a fight in the playground.

'Oh your mums fat!'
'No your mums fat!'
'No yours is!'
'No yours is!'
'Yours is!'

And so on and so on until one of them turns around and says:

'I'm going to tell the teacher and not play any more!'

Throwing their toys out of the pram. Oh boo-hoo! Grow up the pair of you. There's more important issues in life than watching the pair of them scrap it out over what? Something that it is actually quiet trivial and not going to end the world. Their both grown men. Act like it.
mulieman 9

Postby SilentDark » 29 Jul 2013, 13:12

Although I was somewhat sympathetic to his problems regarding the patching. This is kinda sad. Telling someone to kill themselves when they called you a name (not even the worst thing he could have been called either) is going way too far. That said, people wishing to get into the business need thick skins, he obviously didn't and so it's just as well he's left the industry now because if his profile had grown the hate would have grown as well.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby skinnypigeon » 29 Jul 2013, 13:51

I can't believe I'm the only one who will stand up for Phil Fish. The guy gave us a great game and all he has had is people bad mouthing him. The guy worked his arse off and delivered something which was a cut above almost everything else on the system.

Sorry if your save file wouldn't work or was deleted but it's not the only bug in gaming. Saints Row 2 won't unlock achievements on my system and that was made by a huge team of folks and cost four times as much but I'm not crying about it. Keep on hating guys. Let's keep those original IPs and their arrogant developers away.
skinnypigeon 13

Postby captainhetty » 29 Jul 2013, 14:04

skinnypigeon wrote:I can't believe I'm the only one who will stand up for Phil Fish. The guy gave us a great game and all he has had is people bad mouthing him. The guy worked his arse off and delivered something which was a cut above almost everything else on the system.

That doesn't give him the right to tell people to kill themselves. If he can't take criticism when things go tits up, then a departure from the industry is obviously for the best.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 58

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Jul 2013, 14:19

skinnypigeon wrote:I can't believe I'm the only one who will stand up for Phil Fish. The guy gave us a great game and all he has had is people bad mouthing him. The guy worked his arse off and delivered something which was a cut above almost everything else on the system.

Sorry if your save file wouldn't work or was deleted but it's not the only bug in gaming. Saints Row 2 won't unlock achievements on my system and that was made by a huge team of folks and cost four times as much but I'm not crying about it. Keep on hating guys. Let's keep those original IPs and their arrogant developers away.

In addition to what Hetty wrote I'd also point out that this guy was very vocal about NOT patching Fez because he thought it was too expensive, but at the same time regularly went on Twitter to show off how much money he had made from the game. I think we have perfectly valid reasons to say the guy is an idiot largely based on him acting like an idiot.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby skinnypigeon » 29 Jul 2013, 14:24

It wasn't just one person saying things. So many folks have attacked him. Even on this forum folk have been bad mouthing him let alone on Twitter etc. It's just bullying by people using the anonymity afforded to them by the internet. The man snapped at the end of a long argument with what must have felt like the world. If none of you have ever said something in a moment of anger then fair play but I doubt that you are all so innocent.

EDIT: It was very expensive to patch the game and it would have come out of his pocket.
skinnypigeon 13

Postby UlysessJDuckett » 29 Jul 2013, 14:47

This is a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. This went OTT, I don't think I've seen anything like it!!
UlysessJDuckett 23

Next