Dennis Dyack: the games industry today is like early 1920s H

Your comments on our articles.

Triple-A as it stands is unsustainable, says former Silicon Knights head

Former Silicon Knights president Denis Dyack has compared games development today to 1920's Hollywood; when movie studios were making amazing films but weren't seen to be making enough money by their producers. Certainly sounds familiar, alright.... read more

Dennis Dyack: the games industry today is like early 1920s H

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Jul 2013, 11:17

I'd have a lot more respect for his opinion if he hadn't taken 5 years to produce one of the most shockingly broken games I've ever played (Too Human) and then followed it up with one of the biggest wastes of a license ever, that he himself admits they didn't really try with (X-men Destiny) before going bust, largely because he forgot to pay the bill for the Unreal Engine. This is not the sign of a great business mind with a firm grasp of the industry.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Re: Dennis Dyack: the games industry today is like early 192

Postby FishyGinger » 30 Jul 2013, 11:39

I don't think he 'forgot' to pay anything.

What he says makes sense but it's also like being told how you should conduct your life by Pete Doherty. What triple A games developers should do is make a naff game then sue everybody else.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Grummy » 30 Jul 2013, 16:13

Aaaah, we haven't heard from this dipstick in a while. He lost any possible credence he could ever have had when he lambasted EVERYBODY who hated Too Human because 'they didn't understand what the game was doing' and went on to insinuate that people who disliked his game were stupid and not smart enough to 'get' his game. Sorry Captain Plonker, but we played your game, people hated it because it was terrible. You don't even need to be in mensa to know that.

I have also heard that Dyack was something of a mentor to Phil Fish, a sensei, if you will.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby SmgUk » 30 Jul 2013, 17:02

So games like Halo / COD etc are unsustainable ? :?
SmgUk 27

Postby msbhvn » 30 Jul 2013, 17:22

Why does this guy continue to get publicity when he hasn't made a decent game in ten years? Even then it was probably only Nintendo's oversight that made Eternal Darkness such a good game. He should have been laughed out of the industry when he tried to blame Epic for his failures.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Maximus T » 30 Jul 2013, 18:55

I wasn't aware of this guy before, but it sounds like he has (justifiably) gained a lot of bad rep. Does he still make games? Also, I don't think EA will win worst company this year.
As for AAA being sustainable or not, I reckon that it will be more sustainable than A or B or C or AA games. A lot of games have high production costs, especially the AAA, but I would reckon that the AAA stand the best chance of making that back, as they will probably get a large number of sales.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Postby Baryonyx » 30 Jul 2013, 19:56

The death or downscaling of the AAA title would definitely be better for gamers in the long term.
Baryonyx 42

Postby battfink83 » 30 Jul 2013, 22:48

CunningSmile wrote:I'd have a lot more respect for his opinion if he hadn't taken 5 years to produce one of the most shockingly broken games I've ever played (Too Human) and then followed it up with one of the biggest wastes of a license ever, that he himself admits they didn't really try with (X-men Destiny) before going bust, largely because he forgot to pay the bill for the Unreal Engine. This is not the sign of a great business mind with a firm grasp of the industry.

my thoughts also, this guy is somewhat of the mark.......

'We're not making money. This is not working.'" its not because its a 'AAA' title,its because, like your 'AAA' title, most of them are shite. 99% of GOOD games make money, regardless of costs and status.
battfink83 54

Postby PonderingWalrus » 31 Jul 2013, 10:41

Just going to throw it out there that I kinda liked Too Human, it was far from the best game in the world but was decent enough.

This guy strikes me as a top - class douchebag though and it is hard to take him seriously after he lead Silicon Knights to a disastrous end.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Jul 2013, 11:16

PonderingWalrus wrote:Just going to throw it out there that I kinda liked Too Human, it was far from the best game in the world but was decent enough.

This guy strikes me as a top - class douchebag though and it is hard to take him seriously after he lead Silicon Knights to a disastrous end.

I wanted to like Too Human and loved the set up but the game play was chronicly bad. Games in which you advance a few feet at a time before dying and respawning aren't necessarily bad, but having to sit through a 90 second unskippable cut scene everytime you die meant 75% of your time was looped.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator