to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bungie: "you'll have the option" to completely avoid multipl

Your comments on our articles.

But "we believe you'll be having way less fun"

Microsoft may have abandoned 24 hour sign-ins for Xbox One, but debate over the appropriateness of mandatory internet requirements continues to rage thanks to the appearance of a number of highly-fed always-online titles for next generation consoles. Leading the charge is Bungie's dazzling sci-fi odyssey Destiny, which launches next year.... read more

Bungie: "you'll have the option" to completely avoid multipl

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Jul 2013, 12:03

It's also not clear how Bungie will adjust the challenge factor to account for the presence of more or fewer players - will solo adventurers have a rougher time of things?

That's one thing that worries me. I'm quite capable of being antisocial in an MMO and wandering off by myself but will I be able to? Even Borderlands 2 felt completely imbalanced in places if playing solo so how much worse will an MMO be? Also how can you scale difficulty in something like this? I'm quite happy to trundle through a game on Normal or Easy just to get the story but how can I do that in a world full of gamers who seem to think they aren't having a good time unless they're sweating blood?
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Re: Bungie: "you'll have the option" to completely avoid mul

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Jul 2013, 12:14

I wonder if there will be some sort of transparent reputation system, so you can customise what sort of player you'd like to fall in with. My preferred player options would include: "selfless", "magnanimous", "laughs at my jokes".
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby KillCole » 30 Jul 2013, 14:20

I feel like being forced to stay in this place, this current generation on behalf of other people who don't want or can't realistically sustain always online connections for certain games, is like being forced to ride a stinky ass bus when I've got my own, comfortable, car with heated leather seats.

Controversial opinion. I won't change anybody's mind with it, pretty sure nobody's going to change mine. Feel free to tell me how selfish and wrong and stupid I am but I won't bother replying. I just can't wait for the day where gaming is one seamless, always connected, drop in, drop out environment where all content is instantly accesible.

The tech is ready, I'm ready. Give it to me.
KillCole 25

Postby LuRcH18489 » 30 Jul 2013, 14:53

thy sed the same bullshit abwt mass effect 3, n u need to do multiplayer in me3 to get an achievement, so i dont believe the whole "u can avoid multiplayer" bollox anymore
LuRcH18489 31

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Jul 2013, 15:09

LuRcH18489 wrote:thy sed the same bullshit abwt mass effect 3, n u need to do multiplayer in me3 to get an achievement, so i dont believe the whole "u can avoid multiplayer" bollox anymore

Slightly different.

Whether you get an achievement or not is up to you (I didn't get it and never lost sleep) And I got a good ending og ME without ever touching the MP. Mass Effect didn't start with a screen that basically said "Got no friends? You wasted your money then because this game doesn't play," which was a real possibility with Destiny.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 30 Jul 2013, 15:58

Console publishers have been trying for years to cash in on the success of MMO's like World of Warcrack. Basically, if they could combine World of Warcraft with Call of Duty and turn every gamer into a digital junkie, they'd be happy as pigs in poo.

I have a feeling we're gonna be getting a lot of this kinda thing with the next generation of consoles, and honestly, I'm not really interested.

I just hope that couch co-op doesn't get pushed aside. I love having a beer with buddy in the same room as me, blowing some shit up in splitscreen.
Lancer Armstrong 26

Postby Dave2123 » 30 Jul 2013, 16:57

Lancer Armstrong wrote:Console publishers have been trying for years to cash in on the success of MMO's like World of Warcrack. Basically, if they could combine World of Warcraft with Call of Duty and turn every gamer into a digital junkie, they'd be happy as pigs in poo.

That is pretty much what Destiny is though isn't it; CoD/Halo/WoW. I bet Activision are quaking at the thought of this game coming out and the amount of money they could potentially make on it.
Dave2123 29

Postby SilentDark » 30 Jul 2013, 17:12

KillCole wrote:I feel like being forced to stay in this place, this current generation on behalf of other people who don't want or can't realistically sustain always online connections for certain games, is like being forced to ride a stinky ass bus when I've got my own, comfortable, car with heated leather seats.

Controversial opinion. I won't change anybody's mind with it, pretty sure nobody's going to change mine. Feel free to tell me how selfish and wrong and stupid I am but I won't bother replying. I just can't wait for the day where gaming is one seamless, always connected, drop in, drop out environment where all content is instantly accesible.

Not a big fan of single player then :wink:

If they want to make an MMO, then by all means make an MMO. I won't buy it because I'm basically a misanthrope, so playing in teams or clans is a very alien concept to me. However scaled combat should be a given based on number of players. Resi 6 big weakness for me was how it was basically scaled for however many players was considered the optimal (either 2 or 4 depending on the level), and while playing alone didn't make it harder it did make it much longer, and in many ways a lot more tedious than it needed to be. Hopefully this won't be as lazy.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby SmgUk » 30 Jul 2013, 17:17

So if I've got no mates but still play Online is Destiny going to be difficult to play ? If so does anyone want to be my mate :( :oops:
SmgUk 27

Postby Maximus T » 30 Jul 2013, 19:04

If I had no mates online I'd still play and be happy when those events turned up. For me this seamless match making is a super exciting prospect, and I think it would feel even better by yourself than if you had someone with you- providing it isn't "eliminate the other team" by yourself. As for character, so far I want to be a Warlock, despite the fact I'm probably more naturally a Titan, though Hunter's out of bounds as I couldn't snipe a car on the M1.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby Drainwater » 30 Jul 2013, 22:59

Based on my personal experiences, I don't like co-op.

In a co-op game you are not going at your own pace. You are both/all going at a really fast pace trying to outdo each other and you'll almost always be playing with someone who's "already done this level" and he or she will be racing through without explaining what they're doing to open doors or hit switches. Then, since you have no idea what you're doing you'll be killed and the lack of extra firepower will lead to the deaths of everyone else.

That's with a random person or group. With your friends, assuming none of the above is still true, you are at the very least going to be ready to experience the game at different speeds. So you'll be forcing yourself to slow down if your friend wants to stop and admire his reflection in a window. Or you'll be speeding up if your friend doesn't care what the necromancer is saying and just wants to start hammering his face in and get the boss fight over with.

This, for me, is why co-op doesn't work. Multiplayer deathmatches or point captures or whatever are fine, but trying to experience a campaign style story in a video game just does not work if other people are involved. Maybe I have just never played with the right person, but I have played with lots of people and this has been my personal experience.
Drainwater 35

Postby KillCole » 31 Jul 2013, 00:53

SilentDark wrote:
KillCole wrote:I feel like being forced to stay in this place, this current generation on behalf of other people who don't want or can't realistically sustain always online connections for certain games, is like being forced to ride a stinky ass bus when I've got my own, comfortable, car with heated leather seats.

Not a big fan of single player then :wink:

If they want to make an MMO, then by all means make an MMO. I won't buy it because I'm basically a misanthrope, so playing in teams or clans is a very alien concept to me. However scaled combat should be a given based on number of players. Resi 6 big weakness for me was how it was basically scaled for however many players was considered the optimal (either 2 or 4 depending on the level), and while playing alone didn't make it harder it did make it much longer, and in many ways a lot more tedious than it needed to be. Hopefully this won't be as lazy.

I'm a big single player fan in all honesty. Currently playing through The Witcher 2 which I've been waiting to get my hands on for a while. I just feel like games that are so very obviously developed around this online concept shouldn't worry about accomodating to the solo, offline player.
KillCole 25

Postby Maximus T » 31 Jul 2013, 08:32

Drainwater wrote:Based on my personal experiences, I don't like co-op.

In a co-op game you are not going at your own pace. You are both/all going at a really fast pace trying to outdo each other and you'll almost always be playing with someone who's "already done this level" and he or she will be racing through without explaining what they're doing to open doors or hit switches. Then, since you have no idea what you're doing you'll be killed and the lack of extra firepower will lead to the deaths of everyone else.

That's with a random person or group. With your friends, assuming none of the above is still true, you are at the very least going to be ready to experience the game at different speeds. So you'll be forcing yourself to slow down if your friend wants to stop and admire his reflection in a window. Or you'll be speeding up if your friend doesn't care what the necromancer is saying and just wants to start hammering his face in and get the boss fight over with.

This, for me, is why co-op doesn't work. Multiplayer deathmatches or point captures or whatever are fine, but trying to experience a campaign style story in a video game just does not work if other people are involved. Maybe I have just never played with the right person, but I have played with lots of people and this has been my personal experience.

I would say that not only is it dependant on the people but also dependant on the game itself.
Examples: Co-op campaign on FPS. The general idea is to get to the end point having killed everyone along the way, not too complex, and most shooters are relatively fast paced in any case, and some use teleporting to bring you all back together.
Co-op "Horde mode" The idea is simple. Kill everything without going anywhere.
those two are examples where I don't think that co-op goes wrong, unless you get someone being intentionally malicious.

Then there are games like Splinter Cell Conviction- The co-op modes are excellent, but only if you have a partner that knows the game and takes it seriously, otherwise it all gets completely messy and fails.

I think that destiny should fall into the category with most FPS games, though I can see the issue of people leaving each other behind- however in Destiny, it is not level based in the conventional style, so anything you play should be new for all players, so as long as you have some decent friends I think partying up would be great.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby Metalrodent » 31 Jul 2013, 08:35

My pet peeve in coop is ones where you both fail the mission if you fail to revive someone - much easier if they just respawn at the next checkpoint
Last edited by Metalrodent on 31 Jul 2013, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Drainwater » 31 Jul 2013, 22:34

Maximus T wrote:I would say that not only is it dependant on the people but also dependant on the game itself.
Examples: Co-op campaign on FPS. The general idea is to get to the end point having killed everyone along the way, not too complex, and most shooters are relatively fast paced in any case, and some use teleporting to bring you all back together.
Co-op "Horde mode" The idea is simple. Kill everything without going anywhere.
those two are examples where I don't think that co-op goes wrong, unless you get someone being intentionally malicious.

Then there are games like Splinter Cell Conviction- The co-op modes are excellent, but only if you have a partner that knows the game and takes it seriously, otherwise it all gets completely messy and fails.

I think that destiny should fall into the category with most FPS games, though I can see the issue of people leaving each other behind- however in Destiny, it is not level based in the conventional style, so anything you play should be new for all players, so as long as you have some decent friends I think partying up would be great.

If it's an FPS where I don't care about the plot or the setting (admittedly most of them) then yeah, I agree.
Drainwater 35