Cliff Bleszinski backs Phil Fish against "haters", but tells

Your comments on our articles.

"Absorb all of that hate into one big fireball of motivation inside of your belly."

Don't worry, Phil - Dude Huge has your back. Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski has posted an open letter to Polytron's embattled boss in response to his cancellation of Fez 2, following a violent clash with Game Trailers' Marcus Beer and assorted "haters" on Twitter.... read more

Cliff Bleszinski backs Phil Fish against "haters", but tells

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 30 Jul 2013, 16:04

This Marcus Beer guy sounds like a bit of a prick.
Lancer Armstrong 26

Re: Cliff Bleszinski backs Phil Fish against "haters", but t

Postby KernowDevil23 » 30 Jul 2013, 16:13

Lancer Armstrong wrote:This Marcus Beer guy sounds like a bit of a prick.

He's really not. He just tells it like it is.

In terms of prickage, Bleszinski and Fish are Everest to Beer's molehill.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 30 Jul 2013, 16:20

I find Bleszinski can be a very hit or miss kind of guy. Sometimes his insights are excellent, sometimes he can be a complete toolbag. I think it is a little too easy to just dismiss people with issues against Phil Fish as being 'haters'. Haters are people who just hate someone or something because a lot of other people do, they just jump on that bandwagon, but Phil Fish offended a lot of people, and I can't see how you can ever defend someone who told someone else to kill themselves.

Beer can be direct, and can play it up for a reaction (like a lot of these figures in gaming like to do) but he doesn't go out out of his way to say things that aren't deserved or accurate thoughts. If Phil Fish didn't have a history of being an unpleasant person, then this reaction would have earned him a lot of sympathy, he could have apologized for an over reaction and people would have lambasted Beer for provoking him and pushing him too far. As it is, everyone looks at the situation and says 'yep, that's just the king of person Phil Fish is'.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 30 Jul 2013, 16:41

I kind of see where Cliffy is coming from, but his efforts are misguided. Fish is a drama queen of the highest order and seems to have no sympathy for anyone but himself. In Indie Game: The Movie he rails against his former business partner who he co-founded Polytron with, even saying he imagines himself killing him if they ever met again. This business partner was never contacted (the makers of IGTM had to change a line in the credits to this effect, having initially said he refused to appear) for his side of the story.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby KernowDevil23 » 30 Jul 2013, 16:44

msbhvn wrote:In Indie Game: The Movie he rails against his former business partner who he co-founded Polytron with, even saying he imagines himself killing him if they ever met again.

From memory, I believe his words were quite a lot stronger than that! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 30 Jul 2013, 18:48

In Indie Game: The Movie, Fish really does come across as one ballhair away from being a sociopath, but that's his business. And if he wants to quit, that's his choice. The guy seems very volatile, and the public spotlight is a harsh place. Maybe this is better for him.

What I don't get is how a "journalist" can get away with calling someone horrible names for not wanting to give him a comment. Seems very juvenile and unprofessional to me. That's the kinda thing that gossip rag hacks do.
Lancer Armstrong 26

Postby KernowDevil23 » 30 Jul 2013, 18:58

Lancer Armstrong wrote:What I don't get is how a "journalist" can get away with calling someone horrible names for not wanting to give him a comment. Seems very juvenile and unprofessional to me. That's the kinda thing that gossip rag hacks do.

To be fair, Marcus Beer wasn't aggrieved that Fish and Blow wouldn't give him a comment, he was talking about a different reporter/publication that they refused to comment to.

His issue was the way these two reacted to a perfectly reasonable question and if you watch the video but skip across Beer's abrasive tone, his points seem to be valid in some measure. Beer's online persona as the "Annoyed Gamer" is supposed to be a little outspoken but at no point did he deserve to be told to "kill himself". Fish could've been the bigger man and reacted like an adult rather than a petulant idiot with a severe lack of interpersonal skills.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 30 Jul 2013, 19:24

Yeah, I haven't watched the video. I'm only going by what I've read here on OXM. Not really interested in getting too involved in this fiasco.

I just don't get how a journalist can attack you personally for not wanting to answer a question. Seems unprofessional to me. Then again, the world of "journalism" has lost a lot of its meaning and respect since the internet came along.

Anyone watching The Newsroom? Love that show.
Lancer Armstrong 26

Postby schwepterbrowser » 30 Jul 2013, 20:32

Beer doesn't claim to be a journalist, Lancer, he calls himself an "opinionist." He doesn't work for GameTrailers, even, they just have him appear as a personality on their site; similar to how they have videos from The Angry Video Game Nerd, Keith Apicary, MEGA64, etc.
schwepterbrowser 57

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 30 Jul 2013, 20:45

Right. Got it. I must have thought that because of the bit where Bleszinski said that Fish doesn't owe any game journalist anything.

But still, why did Beer get so upset because Fish didn't want to answer a question? Seems excessive.

Anyway, I've already spent too much time on this bull. Could be playing games instead.
Lancer Armstrong 26

Postby schwepterbrowser » 30 Jul 2013, 20:48

It peeved him because Fish is being a hypocrite - he'll expect those outlets to cover his game and boost his sales, but when it comes to giving back he refuses.
schwepterbrowser 57

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 30 Jul 2013, 22:10

Sounds like paparazzi mentality to me.
Lancer Armstrong 26

Postby battfink83 » 30 Jul 2013, 22:57

Bleszinski cautions Fish to "never underestimate the intestinal fortitude of the anonymous loser hiding behind a monitor and his or her ability to sling vitriol at someone who willingly puts themselves out there"

then, he jumps in his lambo and drives off into the sunset to his luxury pad, happy in the knowledge that this generalisation of the people who used his forums to try and get him to fix his cheap ass online components to his games, was good enough to use as an ignorance shield.... plus ten damage....... lol
battfink83 54