Calling time on internet trolls - why we need to put the rag

Your comments on our articles.

It's no longer enough just to wait for it to fizzle out

People who play and discuss videogames online are among the luckiest entities ever to tread this Earth. Being able to play and discuss videogames implies a number of things, after all - that you have access to a steady power supply, unfiltered (well, relatively) internet, a disposable income and the time to make use of all the foregoing. You're also likely to own a fridge, glass windows and a sofa, which is all basically magic by the standards of the average 14th century Anglo-Saxon serf. Why, then, do so many people who play and talk about videogames online spend quite so much time making themselves and other people miserable? And is there anything the rest of us can do about it, besides looking on in bafflement?... read more

Postby msbhvn » 30 Jul 2013, 18:07

Good piece, but a little naïve. There's no real way of standing up to these idiots, other than not letting them contaminate your life by shunning them every way you can.

The only game I've played online multiplayer for any length of time is Injustice. In the past couple of months, I've seen people who actually take the time to send you an abusive message when you beat them. I've seen people abuse the in-game text chat to insult other players. I've seen people of a high level invade rooms set up by beginners just to stay King of the Hill for hours on end.

Using the Xbox Live feedback system to avoid and block communications is the only way to preserve my feeling of safety. If enough people do this, the trolls will be unable to find people to play with, or will only be able to play with idiots like them. Both scenarios are a win in my book.

On the subject of Twitter, they have been terribly remiss in providing a way of quickly reporting specific posts. Even that would be unfeasible when dealing with a hate mob the size of the one targeting the campaigner who asked for a woman to be on a bank note.

It's like I've said a couple of times, once a community gets big enough, it descends to the lowest common denominator. Rational people who try to speak up against them get targeted themselves. Asking people to think rather than react is like shouting down a hole for all the good it will do.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby delpoi » 30 Jul 2013, 18:08

If someone I know or don't is having trouble in game am the first to offer a hand as it doesn't cost anything to be nice these days and I've made some good friends online because of it I love chatting about games movies comics all sorts while online gaming it is a social thing, unfortunately there are a few bad eggs out there that spoil it and it might be intentional it might not. One of my friends online is the nicest bloke you could meet but as soon as he plays FIFA and things aren't going his way he turns into a really nasty foulmouthed individual which we all just take as part of who he is and laugh and joke with him about it...although he does rage quit a lot lol
I think some is down to games brining anger to the surface and the other well they are just douches :lol:
delpoi 41

Re: Calling time on internet trolls - why we need to put the

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Jul 2013, 18:13

Perhaps I'm being naive, msbhvn, but it is possible to knock people out of that weird abstract state of internet hostility just by responding calmly but firmly. Done it a few times with some of our wilder new posters and Twitter users. I also suspect we'll get to a point where lawmakers will take this out of our hands, and start introducing serious penalties for the sort of online harassment we've seen of late. Just a hunch.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby fracturedrich » 30 Jul 2013, 18:16

Dark souls renewed my faith in people online,people on here have done the same.
fracturedrich 48

Postby KernowDevil23 » 30 Jul 2013, 18:18

I was discussing this on Twitter with a former member of this forum from years ago. He was of the opinion that Twitter comments (and internet comments in general) should be taken with a pinch of salt (he actually used the terms "people need to man the F up....).

To counter this, I asked what consequences I would face if I wrote a letter where I threatened someones life and posted it to them. Just because we're typing from the safety of a keyboard does not make us any less culpable for our actions in my opinion. Common sense prevails for 90% of the internet but the remaining section seem to believe that whatever they say can go unpunished.

Until authorities get tough, the internet will continue to get worse. This issue is not limited to "gamers" enjoying a little trash talking.

PS Another excellent article Ed. I really enjoyed it!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby msbhvn » 30 Jul 2013, 18:19

It might work for you to be firm with posters on this site Ed, as you have a position of authority, but when I've tried it, I've been attacked myself. Perhaps I'm more of an extreme case, because any kind of conflict makes me physically ill. For the sake of my health, I have to avoid it.

I'm actually behind a law for this situation. People posting on the internet are making a public statement. You can't say whatever inflammatory nonsense you like in a public place, so why should you on the internet? Death threats and threats of physical violence have to be taken seriously, even if the intent of the poster isn't necessarily literal.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby captainhetty » 30 Jul 2013, 18:23

'Some argue that trashtalk - whether couched via social media channels, in party chat or in a comment - is just part of gaming's "identity"...'

I'm so glad you followed that up by calling it cobblers. I absolutely detest that excuse when people are vile, and it's a big part of the reason I rarely play online any more... 'everyone does it, it's just banter. Deal with it.'

Well, no, I won't 'deal with it'. Nobody should have to put up with being called a whore, or receive death threats, or messages about being raped. It's not part of gaming or its culture, they're just silly little boys with no social skills. If you wouldn't say it to my face (and let's be honest, you wouldn't, because I'd kick you in the gonads and have you arrested) don't assume being hidden behind a computer makes it ok, or makes you a big tough guy.

I find responding calmly and sensibly makes them worse, because not getting a reaction winds them up even more. Perhaps it's getting to a point where more strict penalties do need to be enforced, some of the stuff women receive online is absolutely vile.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 62

Postby Insaneyokel » 30 Jul 2013, 18:25

I have to say that thanks to people on this forum I have felt secure enough to post and enjoy friendly banter with people. I have in the past been on the end of some horrific verbal abuse and threats when playing on line. I like to think that I have a broad sense of humour, and boy do I need one dealing with teenagers for a living, but there are something's said online that go beyond what is acceptable and it should be cracked down on. No one has a right to make someone else feel scared or intimidated. People need to try and call these people out, but I think there needs to be something in place to enable us to do so. This forum works well from my point of view and I really do hope that one day the rest of the Internet will follow suit :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby KernowDevil23 » 30 Jul 2013, 18:27

I'm wondering if the DVR function of the XB1 could also pick up the chat audio?

It would be a great tool against the offenders of vile rants which MS could use to ban them for life.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby FadelessRipleyX » 30 Jul 2013, 18:28

Bang on the money, Edwin. I rarely, if ever, play multiplayer - mostly cause I've always been a solo gamer, but a lot of it is the very loud minority of morons you get online. Twitter debates can get just as mental. I'm not particularly sensitive to sexist crap, I just don't have time to listen to hysterical children screaming abuse at me. If you can't act 18+, then don't play an 18+ game! :lol:

Twitter: @FadelessRipley
FadelessRipleyX 51

Postby Metalrodent » 30 Jul 2013, 18:30

FadelessRipleyX wrote:If you can't act 18+, then don't play an 18+ game! :lol:

well that's me screwed :lol:
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Jul 2013, 18:32

Glad people like this :) Sorry, I'd stay to chat more but I'm off to meet somebody for a drink - will check back on the morrow.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Insaneyokel » 30 Jul 2013, 18:32

Aww you're alright Rodent, I mean you act more mature than I and Plasma do on minecraft :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby Metalrodent » 30 Jul 2013, 18:33

OXM ETboy wrote:Glad people like this :) Sorry, I'd stay to chat more but I'm off to meet somebody for a drink - will check back on the morrow.

be sure to let us know what noise we can create to aid your hangover
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby bobknight1 » 30 Jul 2013, 18:39

I believe that the only way to stop this is to make people accountable for the things they say. How you do that im not sure, maybe involve the ISP?
bobknight1 35

Next