to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer hands-on - Bats, Bane and

Your comments on our articles.

Arkham doesn't need multiplayer - but this one's shaping up nicely nonetheless

If we're honest, the first question that popped into our heads after hearing that Batman: Arkham Origins will have online multiplayer was: why? Why add a multiplayer mode to a franchise that seems to be getting along just fine without one? Why risk joining that long list of studios that bolt on multiplayer modes just for the sake of it? Why divert studio time, energy and money that could be used to craft a better, longer, more elaborate single player?... read more

Postby HadoukenMorris » 31 Jul 2013, 14:12

I was already a bit worried about this game, with it not being developed by Rocksteady, but the fact it now has multiplayer, and that it's being developed by Splash Damage? Count me out.
HadoukenMorris 31

Postby Cokney Charmer » 31 Jul 2013, 14:14

No...just.....no :-(

Rocksteady made a point of not including "Tagged on" MP so they could deliver what the series is all about, the Single Player Experience. The Challenge rooms were just fine. All I see is the chance to sell MP DLC and customisation skin packs instead of any real substance like SP Content

I also agree, Batman doesnt lose...thats the point, whilst it is interesting to have a Batman and Robin team against 6 enemy teams who are battling each other and the Dynamic Duo......what happens if Batman just gets shot, or Robin gets shot....in the SP you just do it again so story wise it never happened, but this gimmick Third person shooter come Predator Challenge MP mode...god even the trailer has me worried about it and by the developers of Brink, which died on its ass on launch day and never recovered...oh WB, what have you done

They added MP to Tomb Raider...and it was garbage. It took 3 games for the Assassin's Creed MP to get fine tuned to be credible, now the first game in the Arkham series out of the hands of its epic creator Rock Steady and you bastardise it with this gimmick MP??

The Arkham Purist in me is not happy, willing to give it a try, hopefully at Eurogamer Expo in September but yeah, not impressed. The MP Arkham didnt need, and didnt deserve
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22

Re: Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer hands-on - Bats, Bane

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Jul 2013, 14:19

Co-op would have made sense, possibly, but a MP built around any sort of scoring just seems a bit...frivilous for the Dark Knight. After all this is not a man that plays games, not even life or death ones. And to hand it over to a studio that produced the woeful Brink? Not a genius move. You don't need to be the world's greatest detective to deduce it won't work.

However very glad they said they're trying to produce a seperate game in the same box because that makes it that much easier to ignore, and with the One launching a month after release Origins may well be the last 360 game I play so the inevitable MP DLC cash grab can be ignored.
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 31 Jul 2013, 14:33

I personally thought the challenge rooms were a bad idea, it's not that they weren't fun in their own way, but they were unnecessary and this multiplayer mode is even more so. In the previous games, it's been time taken away from the campaign which could have been used to add more to it, or just to get it finished quicker, or perhaps even to start developing some good DLC. It's greater that WB aren't working on this multiplayer as well, it means their efforts won't be split up, which will benefit the campaign, but even so a multiplayer mode is a pointless waste of resources. Co-op would have made much more sense. I'm not convinced it would have been a good idea either tbh, but it would have made more sense than this. It won't stop me from playing the game, but I won't touch the MP.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby mistergrimm » 31 Jul 2013, 14:48

What's with the Splash Damage hate? Brink was a solid game aside from the issues on release (Which were resolved, but unfortunately not before everyone had traded it in.)

Aside from that, the multiplayer is a separate, non-mandatory entity to the single player - to say that it's inclusion will make you abandon the game altogether seems somewhat rash.
mistergrimm 33

Postby Cokney Charmer » 31 Jul 2013, 15:00

CunningSmile wrote:Co-op would have made sense, possibly, but a MP built around any sort of scoring just seems a bit...frivilous for the Dark Knight. After all this is not a man that plays games, not even life or death ones. And to hand it over to a studio that produced the woeful Brink? Not a genius move. You don't need to be the world's greatest detective to deduce it won't work.

However very glad they said they're trying to produce a seperate game in the same box because that makes it that much easier to ignore, and with the One launching a month after release Origins may well be the last 360 game I play so the inevitable MP DLC cash grab can be ignored.

Totally agree with reservations about Splash Damage being anywhere near the Arkham Series, it sure as hell would not have happened with Rocksteady Studios at the helm, if they were to ever do an MP you can bank on the fact they would have developed it themselves.

To me this smells of nothing more then cashing in for MP DLC, skin and weapon packs to use. It looks awful in the trailer and the excellent and honest article by Aoife Wilson has done little to make me even the remotest bit interested in such a mode. I play Arkham games to be "Batman" and I play the challenge rooms to be Robin, Nightwing etc where available, If I wanted to hunt down criminals I do it in the SP or in those challenge rooms. At no point do I want to be the bad guy firing a gun at either Batman or Robin...that is not what the Arkham series is about.

So much disappointment at this, was always getting this game for the SP, but now I feel I will have to put up with the series being attacked for a poor MP addition and DLC of character and weapon skin packs post launch....meh
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby Plamsa wing » 31 Jul 2013, 15:07

Couldn't they just do another Gotham City Impostors? Some games just don't need multiplayer, this is one of them. Not only does it takes up disc space that could be used for single-player content, it'll most likely end up being deserted the moment everyone has the achievements for it.

If they really need multiplayer, then why not co-op? Batman and Robin co-op, makes much more sense than another deathmatch or whatever they paint it as.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Cokney Charmer » 31 Jul 2013, 15:12

Co-Op in the open world setting could have been fun, that would have been great for fans...but just the idea of this, nowhere on the official Arkham Forums have I seen anyone asking for this kind of Three Way dance, it sounds so much like the Tomb Raider MP which failed completely
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Jul 2013, 15:18

I think it sounds like it could be decent. Initially thought why bother including it but I thought the same for assassins creed which turned out to be very good and well implemented it. I have no idea if the brink developer are any good, possibly not, but I'm certainly not going to write it off.

As for it seeming off Batman getting shot, well I got killed plenty of times in the single player and I don't seem too much difference but I guess it depends how it is implemented. Then again I say this as someone who hasn't read the books/comics.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Confused Johnny » 31 Jul 2013, 15:20

Hmmm, im actually pretty excited by the MP mode, in the minority i feel though!

I cant wait to be stalking the shadows as the Bat', whilst taunting my friends and making them edgy, before knocking them flat with a Batarang.

Would be cool if they have leaderboards as well, so you can see who performs as the Heroes the best and so on. Not to sure on the randomness of who gets to play as the Dynamic Duo though, will there be a way to set up private matches where you can select yourself who plays as them?
Confused Johnny 27

Postby OXM Aoife » 31 Jul 2013, 15:28

Confused Johnny wrote:Hmmm, im actually pretty excited by the MP mode, in the minority i feel though!

I cant wait to be stalking the shadows as the Bat', whilst taunting my friends and making them edgy, before knocking them flat with a Batarang.

Would be cool if they have leaderboards as well, so you can see who performs as the Heroes the best and so on. Not to sure on the randomness of who gets to play as the Dynamic Duo though, will there be a way to set up private matches where you can select yourself who plays as them?

I'm not sure exactly how private matches will work, but Splash Damage did say that you can set preferences for who you'd rather play as to your profile, and matchmaking will attempt to assign you to a game accordingly. I don't know if that included the two heroes though, may have just been Joker and Bane thugs.

And you know, for all my reservations, I did quite enjoy the MP. SD are certainly trying something new, and the 3 vs 3 vs 2 is an interesting dynamic. A teensy bit like Spies Vs Mercs, but with capes.

Fishy, it's probably just my extreme weirdness about anything Batman, but I guess in my head I deem any deaths in single player to be 'non-canon,' if that makes sense...
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Cokney Charmer » 31 Jul 2013, 15:34

I can see people rage quitting a lot if they dont get to be Batman or Robin in matches. Seen the trailer a few times now and read the article through 3 times and yeah, at no point do I want to fire up an Arkham game in order to go on a mission to shoot Batman or Robin :(
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby LeeJ2512 » 31 Jul 2013, 15:38

I am looking forward to this, I am kind of thinking there was no REAL point, but it does look good.

I just hope there are no multiplayer achievements in Arkham Origins. That would really kill it for me. I'm still getting the game regardless but it would be annoying.
LeeJ2512 20

Postby yunoyuluvit » 31 Jul 2013, 15:44

I was massively against this when I first heard the news, but I love the predator challenge rooms in the first two, so the prospect of pitting my skills against actual people actually has me a little excited for this. I agree that it would've been just fine without it, but at least the dev's are conscious that this can be seen as being tacked on and sound like they are keen to prove that it has it's place in the game, but, as with a certain motion controller, the proof will be in the pudding.

I would love a co-op as well. Maybe they can slap that in as some DLC!

Oh, and given the time frame, this Robin has to be a pre-Nightwing Dick Grayson.
yunoyuluvit 41

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Jul 2013, 15:50

OXM Aoife wrote:And you know, for all my reservations, I did quite enjoy the MP. SD are certainly trying something new, and the 3 vs 3 vs 2 is an interesting dynamic. A teensy bit like Spies Vs Mercs, but with capes.

Fishy, it's probably just my extreme weirdness about anything Batman, but I guess in my head I deem any deaths in single player to be 'non-canon,' if that makes sense...

I'm certainly glad they're trying something new and I prefer uniquer multiplayer games so I can't see why it's being completely written off without being tried first.

And I never understand anything anyone says but I can smile and nod :)

Also uniquer isn't really a word is it.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Next