to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer "isn't a cynical, box-tic

Your comments on our articles.

"I think Warner were looking for a way to kind of push the franchise forward," says creative director

Batman: Arkham Origins has a multiplayer mode - and if you're worried about that, you obviously haven't read Aoife's just-published hands-on preview, in which she deems the online component an unnecessary but undeniably entertaining addition. Speaking to OXM at the event in question, creative director Alastair Cornish discussed how Splash Damage's involvement came about, and promised that multiplayer Batman isn't the usual exercise in bolting on features.... read more

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Jul 2013, 14:30

this isn't a sort-of cynical, box-ticking exercise of some suit saying oh, this has to have multiplayer so let's just bang some in there

Translation mode on:

this is a sort-of cynical, box-ticking exercise of some suit saying oh, this has to have multiplayer so let's just bang some in there
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 31 Jul 2013, 14:37

Well, I'm of the mind that the multiplayer is completely unnecessary in a game such a Batman, though the take on it does seem different to the norm. The biggest problem is that for the first 6 weeks after the games release, the lobbies tend to see fairly brisk activity, but then what usually happens is that people who attack the multiplayer having finished the campaign, stick with it for a few days, and then drift off to something else at which point the lobbies become a desolate place to be.

The batman games, for me, are far better that the likes of CoD and Battlefield, but Batman will not sell in the same quantities as those games, and so the lobbies will never see as much traffic. It really is a case of it being pretty pointless in the long run. And even though they say two different teams are making the two components (campaign and multiplayer) to effectively stave of the criticism of the fans that more levels could be produced for the campaign, it is still the case that there is a finite pot of money to be spent on making the game and so money that could be used to make more levels is instead going into the multiplayer. Maybe they will go the Bioshock route, and drop the multiplayer for number 4 if the take up is not sufficient.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer "isn't a cynical, box

Postby DAVID812 » 31 Jul 2013, 15:06

Some games are just supposed to be single player. Batman is one of them. What will mp bring to the game? All it will do is take resources away from the solo campaign. This of course is just my opinion.
DAVID812 19

Postby PonderingWalrus » 31 Jul 2013, 16:42

Why all the cynicism? Whatever happened to cheery optimism?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 31 Jul 2013, 17:04

PonderingWalrus wrote:Whatever happened to cheery optimism?

BURN THE WITCH.

In all seriousness, I'm quite looking forward to trying it out. As with Aoife, I don't think Arkham needs multiplayer but they appear to have done a good job.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Zejrix » 05 Aug 2013, 14:06

The only way I'd like the multiplayer Morris if they add in more villians with their goons like black mask scarecrow penguin etc.
But this game really doesn't need multiplayer
Zejrix 2