to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Call of Duty: Ghosts - Infinity Ward plays the underdog on X

Your comments on our articles.

Will it be enough to see off Battlefield this year?

It's one of the biggest, most successful, and most widely recognised gaming franchises on the planet. Call of Duty's next-generation launch-day debut in November will doubtless impact upon the Xbox One console's immediate sales success, and just as with Call of Duty 2 and the Xbox 360, how its top-of-the-line engine fares with the next generation's technology will set a benchmark for all triple-A titles that follow.... read more

Call of Duty: Ghosts - Infinity Ward plays the underdog on X

Postby Starskream » 04 Aug 2013, 12:00

Sadly I don't think Infinity Ward need to come up with anything new for Call of Duty as the Smurfs will still keep buying it just because it's Call of Duty. Battlefield offers everything you could want or expect from a Military shooter though it still cannot and probably will not catch up with the popularity of COD. Right up until the first COD Modern Warfare came out I loved the series and couldn't wait to get the next game but since then with the constant rehash of the same game with new maps and the inclusion of over the top killstreak perks I have come to detest the series.

After Battlefield Modern Combat, DICE added destruction which added a really new type of play to Battlefield games and an all new game engine that was far superior to that of COD. Now with Battlefield 3 the game is not perfect but DICE have supported it well and it now has an abundance of maps, game modes and has a really good balance of realism and run & gun gameplay. After watching the E3 video of BF4 it looks like it will wipe the floor with COD both in looks and gameplay but I just hope people can come to their senses and realize that it is by far the better option for the FPS player, i mean who doesn't like the thought of 64 player matches and blowing stuff up????
Starskream 41

Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts - Infinity Ward plays the underdog

Postby tazzrats » 04 Aug 2013, 12:07

I honestly don't think Call Of Duty stands a chance, yes it has faithfuls, and yes it dominates the younger market(which from an age rating stand point is stupid!) But COD is simple, it is copy and pasted, and personally since MW2 has not deserved a single rating higher than 6/10.

I understand this amazing thing they have going, I understand they changed FPS forever , but BF4 really is bringing alot to the table, COD Ghosts is bringing dog food.
tazzrats 29

Postby Hollg » 04 Aug 2013, 12:37

I beleive the Cod games will still lead on the 360 and ps3. But on the new consoles it will take second place. Battlefield 4 at 60fps and 64 players will finally give the gamers the games the old consoles could not deliver. Ghosts will pretty much stay with the same old format. Everyone buys the cod games and complain about the cod games. But it always ran at 60fps, and that made for a game that ran smooth and reactive to your input. That is why we continued to buy it year in, year out. Now we can get that with bigger better games, the cod games need to make big changes.

I suspect that the charts for the Xbox One will show Battlefield 4 and Titanfall ahead of Ghosts. On the 360 Titanfal may push Ghosts off the top spot as it will also runat 60fps, and Respawn have said it will also benefit from the cloud like the Xbox One version does.

Project Spark and Titanfall developers have both commented that the 360 will benefit from the new cloud servers. Could the cloud processing be something that puts new life into the 360 with AI. Is Forza 5 going appear on the 360 with drivatars?
Hollg 29

Postby Bobo888 » 04 Aug 2013, 13:05

It should lose horribly but it wont. There's too many casual gamers who just buy cod and fifa every year.
Bobo888 37

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 04 Aug 2013, 15:44

Bobo888 wrote:It should lose horribly but it wont. There's too many casual gamers who just buy cod and fifa every year.

My friend is one of those, claims that every new FIFA game is amazing and that it's far surpassed the previous years...I tell him if he really thinks that then he is an idiot and shouldn't have dropped out of school :lol:

Modern Warfare 3 put me off FPS for a while and put me off the COD franchise for good. Battlefield 4 is looking far superior to Ghosts as it isn't relying on gimmicks like Dog partners (Didnt Fable 2 already do this) and fish AI. Whenever I make the move to next gen Battlefield 4 will be one of the 1st games I buy.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby MCTJIm » 04 Aug 2013, 16:41

I've bought the CoD games since the CoD 2. I have not really seen anything especially new since MW. World at War was the last of the originality for me. BLOPS 2 is now boring and I have not picked up my controller since it got warm outside..so about May. I currently own BFBC2 and BF3. What I would want in all honesty is CoD/BF hybrid. I like the gameplay types of CoD a..nd the actual play mechanics of BF and large maps. I want huge lobbies to play with my teammates which BF has..IDK about the CoD multiplayer really as none of us really do.

in CoD, We play hardcore to rid ourselves of the run n gunners and our teams use strategy, call outs and play as a team which most people we end up playing against dont do..BF really requires this. Now with 64 people its going to be a requirement to play as a team and this is where BF is going to excel. Each Franchise has its strong points and weaknesses.

BF needs to have lobbies like CoD so we can move room to room without having to BUY a private server to do so. We easily fill up lobbies in our community in both CoD and BF..now with BF no one needs to wait to tag in and get a chance to play...but again I am not sure BF lets you host your own lobby..so if someone knows be sure and post here or in the BF thread... CoD needs to bring more BF type elements like destructible environments to keep the campers from returning to areas that would be useless once destroyed...maybe make it easier to get a kill if I hit you twice in the chest from a sniper rife..or have 5 or 6 shots in your chest from an SMG you go down..revival is fine, but I mean really...in reality you take 5 shots in the chest and have a vest on you should be down.
MCTJIm 7

Postby xUKDrAGoNBorN » 04 Aug 2013, 17:42

i think battlefield 4 is going to do really well but not as good as cod because you got all the 10 year olds playing cod who think its the best game ever i actually like black ops 2 then you notice all the lag compensation and then you get killed by bullet lag and you get lag switchers and the game has already been modded by many people like when i was playing some guy was floating in the air shooting hunter killer drones out of his hands and all the angry kids are annoying as hell also host migration but in battlefield yes you get wtf how did he kill me moments but not as much as in cod and very little lag because its all on servers instead of being run off the best connection in the lobby but you do get some server moderators who kick you for being better than them and battlefield has better and larger maps also snipers are more realistic with bullet drop and not being one hit kills almost all the time
xUKDrAGoNBorN 16

Postby Dave2123 » 04 Aug 2013, 18:30

Starskream wrote:Battlefield offers everything you could want or expect from a Military shooter though it still cannot and probably will not catch up with the popularity of COD

I have to disagree there; I think that this isn't much difference between them. Yes, BF is a bit better from a game play mechanics stand point, but I'm a single player guy and I did BF3 on normal, then hard ,and then on easy to get all the achievements and I did that in about 15 hours. CoD, however, gives you a lot more for your money. Obviously, neither are really that good for single player and you probably think I'm a bit silly for playing them, but CoD is far more enjoyable for me.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 04 Aug 2013, 18:32

tazzrats wrote:I honestly don't think Call Of Duty stands a chance, yes it has faithfuls, and yes it dominates the younger market(which from an age rating stand point is stupid!) But COD is simple, it is copy and pasted, and personally since MW2 has not deserved a single rating higher than 6/10.

I would like to agree with you, because if BF got their single player missions up to scratch with the story and length, it would be better than CoD, but I don't think it will be able to penetrate into the niche that CoD has yet. BF3 was no where near as popular as MW3 and I can't see BF4 doing it either. I think that one day BF will get as popular as CoD, but not at least until BF5 or BF6. Most casual gamers will go into a store and see CoD and BF lined up next to each other and they're going to buy CoD, because it's the most well known franchise and they've bought other ones.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 04 Aug 2013, 18:39

Hollg wrote:I beleive the Cod games will still lead on the 360 and ps3. But on the new consoles it will take second place. Battlefield 4 at 60fps and 64 players will finally give the gamers the games the old consoles could not deliver. Ghosts will pretty much stay with the same old format. Everyone buys the cod games and complain about the cod games. But it always ran at 60fps, and that made for a game that ran smooth and reactive to your input. That is why we continued to buy it year in, year out. Now we can get that with bigger better games, the cod games need to make big changes.

I think you over estimate most people. Hardly anybody buys a game because of how many FPS it can get. Your argument is only assuming that people judge games on looks when that isn't really the case. Obviously, we want good looking games, but if that were the case Crysis would be the most popular game. Your casual gamer isn't going to go into a store and go: "BF4 runs out 60 FPS as well as CoD and it runs on a superior game engine, which means it will look better." They'll go into a store and go: "CoD? That's the most famous franchise and the one I know best, and I liked the previous ones, so I'll get that one." BF and any other franchise has a long way to go to catch up with CoD. CoD has the popularity, the fame, the tried and tested model. BF is still gaining popularity, but I doubt it will suddenly jump up to the sales of CoD.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 04 Aug 2013, 19:22

I would like to see BF challenge CoD, but I don't think it's a realistic expectation at all. MW3 sold 6.5mil copies on launch day and BF3 only sold 5mil in it's first week and BO2 surpassed MW3. If DICE get BF4's single player sorted so that it doesn't take 10 hours to complete, 5 of which is cut scenes, loading screens and times where you're playing but you can't actually do anything (like in a car), and make it like CoD's or better then BF4 might get a little way near it, as its multiplayer is superior already, I hear. I'm a single player guy, but it sounds like the bigger, dynamic maps, vehicles and more people give it the edge. However, I think DICE need to incorporate more game modes, as CoD has more diverse matches than BF. Even if they do all this, however, BF4 still won't come near Ghosts as every single gamer knows of CoD and it is the most popular and famous franchise around and millions of people will still queue up to buy it.
Dave2123 29

Postby mackered » 04 Aug 2013, 20:06

I must be one of the few who play ( and like) both series. I like COD single player but prefer BF for multiplayer as you can make a REAL difference with loadout. Lets be fair, in COD it's a shotgun and something else as backup. It is run and gun at its worst but the single player is great.

I will probably buy both eventually.
Just remember now that summer's here, dress for the body you have, not the body you want.
mackered 55

Postby Peter Griffen » 04 Aug 2013, 21:25

I wouldn't call it an entirely new Call of Duty universe until i have finally played it but..with seeing that i have played all previous call of duties they have all been very much similar.
Peter Griffen 1

Postby Starskream » 04 Aug 2013, 23:37

Dave2123 wrote:I have to disagree there; I think that this isn't much difference between them. Yes, BF is a bit better from a game play mechanics stand point, but I'm a single player guy and I did BF3 on normal, then hard ,and then on easy to get all the achievements and I did that in about 15 hours. CoD, however, gives you a lot more for your money. Obviously, neither are really that good for single player and you probably think I'm a bit silly for playing them, but CoD is far more enjoyable for me.

Why would I think you were silly for playing them?? I have played and completed every COD game on Veteran along with all the Battlefield games on hard and there isn't really much between them to be fair but in my comment I wasn't really talking about the single player more the whole package that is offered with each game and as far as I'm concerned Battlefield wins hands down because its single player was par with CODs and COOP was decent enough but then the multiplayer just took a giant poop right on the mediocre arcade shooter that is COD.
Starskream 41

Postby yunoyuluvit » 05 Aug 2013, 12:01

Bobo888 wrote:It should lose horribly but it wont. There's too many casual gamers who just buy cod and fifa every year.

Or 'hardcore' gamers that trade in the old one to get the new one.
yunoyuluvit 40

Next