to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Thief Xbox One hands-on - why it isn't quite a Dishonored be

Your comments on our articles.

A scene stealer, or daylight robbery?

At E3 we finally managed to steal a go on what the Deus Ex: Human Revolution team did next - and the biggest surprise is that it didn't quite manage to steal our hearts.... read more

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 07 Aug 2013, 15:10

I will definitely be buying this game for the One. Seeing as Dishonored's mentioned in the article, there is a title update available for the forthcoming DLC - The Brigmore Witches. 8)
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby Dave2123 » 07 Aug 2013, 15:12

I love stealth games, but from what I've heard and seen, this is a lot like dishonored and, I know I'm in the minority, but I just didn't click with that game. I don't know why I didn't like it as much as everyone else (it came covered in game of the year stickers), but because of that, I don't think I'll be getting Thief.

Another point, why do all of these games feel the need to include a 'Focus' like attribute. Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Far Cry etc (I blame Ubisoft); it just makes the game too easy and breaks the imersiveness, because it doesn't exist in real life? SC and AC might get away with it as Sam has his goggles and you are in the animus in AC (that's what I've always used as an excuse when AC has QTEs and the like), but Thief is set in the (sort of) past and he doesn't have any special goggles, so why does a circle suddenly appear in mid air when you can hit the guy on the chin? That can't happen in real life.

I hate to moan, but games this gen have been getting a lot easier than previous gen; I still have PS2 games that I haven't completed. What I'd like to see next gen is more challenging games. Not difficult games - I can put CoD on Veteran and it's quite difficult, but I want to have to think about how I'm going to achieve a certain set of objectives. That's why I loved AC3, because those optional objectives made you think: 'How can I kill him, eaves drop on them, and remain undetected?' I'd liked to see more of that next gen.
Dave2123 29

Re: Thief Xbox One hands-on - why it isn't quite a Dishonore

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Aug 2013, 18:02

lazercut123 wrote:@dave

I agree with you, dishonored wasn't that good. It had one mode, it was too short.... And I've explained all this before :)

Anyway, does anyone have pikmin 3, because I'm thinking of getting it and I'm wondering if its as good as the past titles (yes, I know a Nintendo game is a bit off topic)

Comabob has a WiiU and gave Pikmin 9/10. Try the Nintendo thread in the off topic section as I'm sure hell happily chat about it
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 07 Aug 2013, 18:34

Might wait and see more info on this. Hopefully you guys will get more opportunities to have hands on time with it. I know that usually you have made some good calls with games and have helped me to avoid some stinkers :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Muppetman51 » 07 Aug 2013, 21:42

Insaneyokel wrote:Might wait and see more info on this. Hopefully you guys will get more opportunities to have hands on time with it. I know that usually you have made some good calls with games and have helped me to avoid some stinkers :D

I'd like to hear a bit more from a "time spent with" session too. The feature in the mag a few months back was really interesting and if it got a solid recommendation this might be a game to get with uno in a couple of years. I figure by then I'll be able to afford it and would like to have a couple aces in the hole to fire up straight away.
Excuse me sir, but the pigs have refused to find any more truffles until you leave!
Muppetman51 39

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 16 Aug 2013, 18:11

Dave2123 wrote:I love stealth games, but from what I've heard and seen, this is a lot like dishonored and, I know I'm in the minority, but I just didn't click with that game. I don't know why I didn't like it as much as everyone else (it came covered in game of the year stickers), but because of that, I don't think I'll be getting Thief.

Another point, why do all of these games feel the need to include a 'Focus' like attribute. Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Far Cry etc (I blame Ubisoft); it just makes the game too easy and breaks the imersiveness, because it doesn't exist in real life? SC and AC might get away with it as Sam has his goggles and you are in the animus in AC (that's what I've always used as an excuse when AC has QTEs and the like), but Thief is set in the (sort of) past and he doesn't have any special goggles, so why does a circle suddenly appear in mid air when you can hit the guy on the chin? That can't happen in real life.

I hate to moan, but games this gen have been getting a lot easier than previous gen; I still have PS2 games that I haven't completed. What I'd like to see next gen is more challenging games. Not difficult games - I can put CoD on Veteran and it's quite difficult, but I want to have to think about how I'm going to achieve a certain set of objectives. That's why I loved AC3, because those optional objectives made you think: 'How can I kill him, eaves drop on them, and remain undetected?' I'd liked to see more of that next gen.

I'd always imagined games of the future to be SO refined that they could have difficulty settings that define the way you'd expect the game to play out.
For example, in Generic Shooter 15 on the XBox <insert name of future XBox machine here>, it's easy mode might have you worrying only about easy to kill, dumb enemies. Straight out shooter as in Call of Duty.
Normal Mode might have tough enemies, introduce minor sneaking elements, limited puzzle solving. Like uhhh, Ghost Recon Future Soldier.
Hard: Toughest enemies, limited ammo, Full puzzle solving. Game plays like maybe Splinter Cell.
Hardest: Scarce ammo necessitating sneaking, puzzle solving and imaginitive tactics in order to kill enemies, basically pulling all the different threads together from the previous levels of difficulty to form the game as it OUGHT to be played. Not necessarily hard per ce, just more to think about, with more intelligent enemies etc.

That's how I always imagined it in my head anyway. Whether it could ever be really achievable or good for a game is something else, I guess. I'd be interested to see a straight out attempt at this though. A game which changes genre depending on the difficulty setting.

Anyway, on topic, the only experience I have of the game Thief is on the old XBox, a game which looked great in screenshots, but the framerate was atrocious (understandable, since Thief was way out of the league Xbox was comfortable in), I couldn't be sure since it was 8 years ago or so, but I'd guess between 4 and 6 FPS, it was THAT slow. I remember it fairly clearly because Thief was just about the last game I ever played with serious frame rate issues, moving on as I did to X360 soon after. Of course, you could (in time) get used to the frame rate but also I found the gameplay harsh and unforgiving, so in return, I did not forgive it's terrible frame rate, understandable or not.

I'll look forward to see how they can make Thief more accessible, without losing it's 'hardcore' appeal.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35