to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Seven things any Deus Ex: Human Revolution sequel must have

Your comments on our articles.

We're most certainly asking for this

I won't lie; when Deus Ex: The Fall was announced as an iOS only game, I was crushed. I may have overturned a few items on my desk in dismay. Then a few items on Edwin's and Log's desks, which I then quickly tided for fear of a swift reprisal.... read more

Seven things any Deus Ex: Human Revolution sequel must have

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 11 Aug 2013, 12:04

Currently on my 4th or 5th play through of Deus Ex Human Revolution, could possibly be my favourite game of this gen.

A few things Id like to see improved are

More life like environments, the city hubs were a little empty and robotic as NPC's would stay in the same place for that entire section until you completed quests. Id like to see this improved and maybe even add random events like in Red Dead Redemption that you could choose to let play out or intervene.

Better interior locations for side quests. Roaming around the same bland apartment corridors in Detroit and Hengsha felt more than a little repetitive. Being able to enter more buildings would add to the exploration too.

Enemy variety, sneaking up and punching out the armed grunts is always fun but a little too easy. How about augmented enemies that can sneak up on and counter Jensen punching him out resulting in some cool take down game play mechanics. This could tie in with Jensen's augments being on the verge of becoming outdated.

I know a Directors Cut is coming out but Jensen and Megan Reed's story never really had a conclusion it would be a nice twist to have her as a possible antagonist of the next game.
Johnbhoy69 51

Re: Seven things any Deus Ex: Human Revolution sequel must h

Postby Ashkaari » 11 Aug 2013, 14:20

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Enemy variety, sneaking up and punching out the armed grunts is always fun but a little too easy. How about augmented enemies that can sneak up on and counter Jensen punching him out resulting in some cool take down game play mechanics. This could tie in with Jensen's augments being on the verge of becoming outdated.

Agree with you there! Augmented enemies in Human Revolution were basically the same as non-augmented enemies (excluding Belltower Spec Ops), so it'd be nice to see some more folk with better abilities that aren't bosses.
In about 5 minutes I will look back at this with an urge to erase my stupidity.
Ashkaari 38

Postby bobknight1 » 11 Aug 2013, 14:48

I only played the game through the once and really enjoyed it, I just couldnt face doing the boss battles again. I didnt feel that they were a necassary addition to what otherwise was a stellar game.
bobknight1 30

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Aug 2013, 15:29

bobknight1 wrote:I only played the game through the once and really enjoyed it, I just couldnt face doing the boss battles again. I didnt feel that they were a necassary addition to what otherwise was a stellar game.

They were apparently a last minute addition farmed out to a different studio who hadn't played the main game which is why they didn't seem to fit in. The boss fight in the Missing Link DLC was much better and preserved the three ways of doing things rather than being combat focused. Hopefully they've learned their lesson for a possible sequel
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 11 Aug 2013, 16:28

More of the same would be great. The only unenjoyable parts of HR were the boss battles. The story and game world were excellent.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby funkysideorder » 11 Aug 2013, 19:28

Great list. Deus Ex was suberb, I would really like to see a sequel. Surprised there's no mention of the rubbish boss fights, they really put a downer on the game. Though it was pretty clear that Ubisoft Montreal realised that so maybe it's not necessary to say again... (sounds like they did much better with the DLC, by what CunningSmile said :) )
funkysideorder 21

Postby griff_dai » 11 Aug 2013, 19:31

Best game this generation hands down........remove the problem boss's and the ridiculous man size air conditioning and present us with some real problem solving to move around the environment and ill be happy...

New Deus Ex Xbone1 and I'm a happy puppy
griff_dai 16

Postby TippiestRook99 » 11 Aug 2013, 19:59

Not exactly a big fan of using Kinect for making decisions.When I tried to use it in Mass effect 3 when I had to choose wheather to save the Quarians or the Geth.I said Geth than it immediately choose the Quarians or maybe the Kinect is just secretly racist.
And that's why my butt hurts - Troy Baker - Men in Black:Alien Crisis

Since having a blog is mainstream these days.Featuring a review of Elder Scrolls Online Virtual Boy.
http://eternalshag78.wordpress.com/
TippiestRook99 55

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 12 Aug 2013, 05:49

TippiestRook99 wrote:Not exactly a big fan of using Kinect for making decisions.When I tried to use it in Mass effect 3 when I had to choose wheather to save the Quarians or the Geth.I said Geth than it immediately choose the Quarians or maybe the Kinect is just secretly racist.

That must have been annoying. I agree, as a developer I just wouldn't make a game with Kinect an integral part unless I was absolutely SURE that it could be relied upon at all times. I'm just not certain anyone can say that Kinect 2.0 is (un)reliable until it gets time with the public.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby grimmyd1 » 12 Aug 2013, 10:24

I absolutely love HR, it is one of my favourite games of the past few years but the thing for me that needs to be changed for the next game is to have a richly developed and thought out leading character, whether that be Adam or a completely new character.

As much as I loved HR, Adam is one of the most one dimensional leading characters I have ever played as. His dialogue was bland and the delivery was so monotone and dull it took me out of the immersion that the rest of the game gave me. I found the story as a whole incredibly engaging but struggled to stay interested when Adam was talking because he was so boring.

I also know there could be an argument that it was because of his augmentation but he is like that at the beginning of the game before the augmentation and no other character is as relentlessly dull.
grimmyd1 7

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 12 Aug 2013, 11:14

I agree with most of the comments above. HR was the only game that I have played and upon handing the controller over to a family member seen it played in a completely different way. I was all stealth and sneak, he just went full auto and he had fun but I like to think I was better as it made my game monumentally long compared to his quick through.
LeprechaunsWOOD 27

Postby RetroDad » 12 Aug 2013, 11:44

I also loved Human Revolution and got all the achievements for it. Quite sadly, I have a save file in Jensen's apartment. I love how the blinds open and the music that plays whilst you nose around. The little touches like seeing the flock of birds fly past if you look out the window are amazing. Pet peeves were:

1] Despite installing the game to hard drive, the engine still stuttered quite frequently when moving quickly around the hubs. It wasn't game breaking, but it did take me out of the experience quite a few times. I haven't played it, but I suspect the pc version wouldn't have suffered from this.

2] The rag doll physics. If I need to move a guard I've sparked out, they shouldn't resemble the worlds greatest contortionist whilst unconscious. I'd prefer a normal animation of seeing the protagonist's hands moving and lifting things.

3] Give the protagonist more animations whilst talking to other characters. The amount of times Jensen would dip to one side and fold his arms mid conversation was irritating. Whilst on the subject, give recurring characters like the arms dealers more dialogue. We've established I've got the egg head discount now ffs! (one for the fans there.)

4] The boss fights.. I think most people were naffed off with just how much they contrasted with the play style of the rest of the game. They could have been so much better. I quite liked the idea of how the fight with Jaron could transpire if you had made a certain choice in Hengsha. For me, there wasn't enough of a cathartic moment considering what happened to Jensen at the beginning of the game.

5] More variety in the hacking sub games please! Also, some plot driven hacks alarmed ridiculously quickly regardless of how you had augmented Jensen.

6] A stat counter of how many times you'd been spotted, killed someone and set off an alarm would help players attempting certain achievements. I nearly shat myself waiting for the "Foxiest of the Hounds" to pop up.

7] An ending that is canon please! :roll: Every ending from the four available was the 'right' choice according to Jensen's monologue. Of course, they all had their respective points of view but which one was the correct choice?! Hard to discuss without spoiling it for any that haven't played. If that is the case, buy it and give it a fair go. I have so many good memories from multiple play-throughs.
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 35

Postby SilentDark » 12 Aug 2013, 14:03

Where would a human revolution sequel fit in with canon? Before Deus Ex, after deus ex but before invisible war?

Can't we have franchises that have a single continuous continuity anymore? :(
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby Insaneyokel » 12 Aug 2013, 18:31

I think I am with the majority of people that it is imperative that they lose the boss fights, they were frustrating and totally not in keeping with the feel of the game. I am someone that likes a stealthy approach and I do not want to be forced into a relatively small area and made to have a running gun battle with a boss (which was my experience of the first boss in the game)
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Aug 2013, 19:01

Insaneyokel wrote:I think I am with the majority of people that it is imperative that they lose the boss fights, they were frustrating and totally not in keeping with the feel of the game. I am someone that likes a stealthy approach and I do not want to be forced into a relatively small area and made to have a running gun battle with a boss (which was my experience of the first boss in the game)

Did you play the DLC? The boss in that was much better, and as I said it managed to preserve the multi approach thing better. In fact on one play through I managed to kill him with a single bullet by being stealthy, although I know one person who succeeded by hacking the security system to use against him and all guns blazing worked too. I think bosses are a useful mile stone in a game, but they need to fit the rest of the game rather than being farmed out to a third party studio
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Next