to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bethesda: "we could literally just do Elder Scrolls games" b

Your comments on our articles.

"We don't want to be defined by a genre," but "The Elder Scrolls is the crown jewel"

Bethesda Softworks stands at a crossroads, reaching out on the one hand to horror and shooter audiences with The Evil Within and Wolfenstein: The New Order (created externally, but published by Bethesda), and on the other to new revenue models with The Elder Scrolls Online (developed by sister company ZeniMax Online). A certain philosophy persists, however. Speaking to Polygon, the company's Pete Hines has discussed how Bethesda's commitment to new IP, single-player and fewer, better releases will help it on next generation consoles.... read more

Postby Jobe wan kenobi » 15 Aug 2013, 13:00

No way would I want Bethesda to just focus on Elder Scrolls titles. Although I did love Morrowind, Obivion and Skyrim. Fallout just does more for me.

Please make a Fallout 4 for next gen Bethesda, pretty please? :)
Jobe wan kenobi 43

Re: Bethesda: "we could literally just do Elder Scrolls game

Postby xUKDrAGoNBorN » 15 Aug 2013, 13:15

i love skyrim hence my username and fallout 3 and even fallout new vegas and when i get some money i will buy the first 2 fallout games on steam
xUKDrAGoNBorN 16

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Aug 2013, 14:29

I've often had the feeling that Bethesda as a publisher has had very low standards and released some absolute turkeys in order to raise cash for the stuff that actually gives them the good reputation. I think it's something they will need to really work on in the future since as they continue to publish more and more the more they risk getting a reputation that a Skyrim or Fallout every few years won't be able to turn around.

I think they need a few more Dishonoured's and a few less Rogue Warriors if they really want to make it as a publisher as well as a developer. And get Prey 2 out guys, it was looking great and can't have been worse than some of the dross you've put your name to
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 15 Aug 2013, 14:59

I think it would be worth stressing, particularly for people who don't understand the distinction (happens surprisingly often) that this doesn't mean Bethesda will be making LESS Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, those games are made by Todd Howard's team, Bethesda Game Studios (as you allude to), and unless they are starting a 3rd IP in the same vein (I doubt it tbh) as those, then they will continue to make Elder Scrolls and Fallout games (Fallout 4 being the more likely next game). The larger company is Bethesda Softworks, and that is who Pete Hines represents, not just Todd Howard's team. A lot of people don't realise that, they think he is just working for Bethesda and that means he works on Elder Scrolls and Fallout. He doesn't. He is the PR guy for the company at large, which is the the company that publishes works by other studios under their banner (like id) AND Todd Howard's Bethesda Game Studios.

The confusion is that Before they expanded, they were just Bethesda Softworks and that's it, once they expanded, Todd Howard's team became Bethesda Game Studios, but the Bethesda Softworks name was maintained, most likely because they didn't want people to think that Bethesda were just a developer who were owned by a parent publishing company. Todd Howard's team are autonomous within the larger company. Their choices made sense in theory, except that now people are forever mixing up Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks. It would have been so much easier if Todd Howard's team had kept Bethesda Softworks and the larger company was just called Zenimax.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Christopher Dack » 15 Aug 2013, 17:08

Fallout 3 Skyrim , Morrowind are 3 of my top 5 games ever . These guys and girls are amazing . Think if they want to try a few new ips alongside their "crown jewels " then who can blame them . :lol:
Christopher Dack 25

Postby Devon Riley » 29 Aug 2013, 01:33

I'm a little upset about the microsft thing and how they want bethesda to make players pay $15 just to play online. But I'm really upset that they won't put the new skyrim on xbox 360. Not everybody is getting the new xbox one. This is just me thinking out loud but maybe they should make one for the xbox 360 and playstation 3
Devon Riley 1

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Aug 2013, 09:42

Devon Riley wrote:I'm a little upset about the microsft thing and how they want bethesda to make players pay $15 just to play online. But I'm really upset that they won't put the new skyrim on xbox 360. Not everybody is getting the new xbox one. This is just me thinking out loud but maybe they should make one for the xbox 360 and playstation 3

It's not MS wanting to charge $15, that's entirely Bethesda's decision.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 29 Aug 2013, 09:47

Devon Riley wrote:I'm a little upset about the microsft thing and how they want bethesda to make players pay $15 just to play online. But I'm really upset that they won't put the new skyrim on xbox 360. Not everybody is getting the new xbox one. This is just me thinking out loud but maybe they should make one for the xbox 360 and playstation 3

This is not the new Skyrim, they've said this many times already
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby Grummy » 29 Aug 2013, 15:25

Dear god, there wasn't a single part of that post that was right.

First up, Skyrim is just the name of a particular installment, not the name of the series, THAT is called 'The Elder Scrolls'. There is no 'new Skyrim' it's just another Elder Scrolls game.

Next, as you have been told, it's nothing to do with Microsoft, it's Bethesda's choice.

This new game is an MMO, not an offline game, and the current gen consoles won't be able to handle it, this is why it's being put on next gen.

Just in case you were wondering, the MMO is being made by a separate team, not the same one that makes the normal Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

Finally, making one for each platform is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. It takes them about 4 years and tens of millions of dollars to make one game, to make one especially for each console would mean they would take over a decade to make a game for each console and it would cost them stupid amounts of money. This is about the most insane idea I've ever heard.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SUPERGAMER20 » 28 Nov 2013, 21:21

Two questions: One, about when will the new elder scrolls game be released? And two, what will it be called? PLEASE REPLY!!! :| :? :|
SUPERGAMER20 5

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Nov 2013, 22:20

SUPERGAMER20 wrote:Two questions: One, about when will the new elder scrolls game be released? And two, what will it be called? PLEASE REPLY!!! :| :? :|

Um The Elder Scrolls Online, and like next year, suprised you've missed the (massive amounts) of coverage though
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby Grummy » 28 Nov 2013, 22:52

SUPERGAMER20 wrote:Two questions: One, about when will the new elder scrolls game be released? And two, what will it be called? PLEASE REPLY!!! :| :? :|

OK, putting the Elder Scrolls online aside as I assume you're talking about single player games made by Bethesda Game Studios (ESO is online and not made by Bethesda) then nobody knows on either score, hell there's a chance Bethesda don't know yet. I can make an educated guess for you though.

You see, after Skyrim, the next game they'd have been working on is Fallout 4, and we can expect an official announcement of that some point in the next 12 months most likely,after that announcement it will likely be another 12 months before the game is released, then after that, based on how long it's been since Skyrim was released, I'd say another 2-3 years on top of that before we hear about the next single players Elder Scrolls game. So, conservative estimate until we hear about the next ES game is 5 years with release in 6, the hopeful estimate is 3 years with release in 4. Either way it'll be a few years yet before we hear anything about it, I personally expect to hear something in about 3-4 years time. In the mean time we will have the Elder Scrolls Online to play which, whilst not made by Bethesda, has been made to resemble a traditional Elder Scrolls game, so it will be very familiar. and a new Fallout game, which will be awesome.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SUPERGAMER20 » 28 Nov 2013, 23:27

Oh, well thanks about that information! Really helped. But to be honest, I've never played fallout before. (Replying to Grummy) And I really just scanned through the post because I thought it was about the new elder scrolls game. (because I REALLY wanted to see if there was any info on it)
SUPERGAMER20 5

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Nov 2013, 08:32

If you count Elder Scrolls Online it's out some time in 2014 and is called Elder Scrolls Online. If you mean Elder Scrolls 6 than Bethesda haven't even admitted they are making one, never mind what it's called or when it releases
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Dovah-King » 11 Dec 2013, 11:18

No one knows where the Elder Scrolls VI is going to be set as Bethseda have revealed nothing on it and besides they will have to work on the next Fallout game (which I am not really a fan of(mainly because i'm shite :D)) But they need to work on the next installment of the Fallout series as we just got the Elder scrolls v 2 years ago and the people who are anxiously awaiting Fallout need it
Dovah-King 2