Resident Evil 7 will be less "bloated" with more survival ho

Your comments on our articles.

"You'll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fanbase."

Resident Evil 6 wasn't the triumphant return to form those burned by Resident Evil 5's co-op action were hoping for. On the one hand, the game's Leon campaign has been deemed a well-seasoned slice of survival horror. On the other, the Chris campaign struck many as Gears of War with arthritis, and Jake's side of the story is, well, just a little bit too bonkers for comfort. Everybody remember the topless martial art level? Yeah, that.... read more

Resident Evil 7 will be less "bloated" with more survival ho

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 16 Aug 2013, 12:24

Hold on...so have Capcom officially said they are working on a Resident Evil 7?
Johnbhoy69 55

Re: Resident Evil 7 will be less "bloated" with more surviva

Postby SilentDark » 16 Aug 2013, 13:18

One of the problems I found was with the characterisation, especially of both Leon and Chris, so Chris loses a bunch of red shirts and decides to drown his sorrows, but was perfectly fine when the US government levelled Racoon City, and Leon trying to reason with a zombiefied President when he knows full well that zombies have lost all higher brain functions and the best thing you can do for them is put a bullet in their head. Actions that made no sense and was inconsistent with his characterisation in Degeneration. The problem wasn't that it was bloated, altogether it lasts little more than your standard Resi game. Across the three main campaigns I think I clocked 15 hours on my first playthrough, if Leon's campaign had been stretched to fit that I think it would have been at least a really good game, if not a really great game. Can we ditch Chris now? The way I see it his personal story ended with the death of Wesker, and can we see more of Rebecca Chambers, she seems to have dropped off the face of the earth since the mansion incident. Sherry got reintroduced after a long hiatus, time for Beccy to come back too.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 16 Aug 2013, 13:58

Leons campaign was pretty good up until the swimming section, then it turns to sh*t. Helena was pointless and instantly unlikeable. Also, hasn't the whole Ada will they/wont they romance thing gotten old by now?

Chris' campaign was a bland boring Gears clone which is a shame as I like Chris. Piers was actually an OK character though.

Jakes campaign was an embarrassing mess. The constant QTE's, the over powered melee, the Nemesis rip off Ustanak, The fist fight with Ustanak and Jake was also unlikeable.

A 7th game is the wrong move, most of the characters have become to big for the franchise I think it's time to wipe the slate clean.
Instead of starting off as characters that are trained operatives, why not start off as an Umbrella/Tricell scientist trapped in a laboratory complex after whatever lettered variety of Virus has been unleashed. Still using guns but also crafting powerful upgrades along the way. One of the main factors that added to the fear you felt in the old games was being trapped somewhere. The globe trotting in Resident Evil 6 took all of that away more so than 4&5 did.
How about a Resident Evil game set in the 1930's, shake it up a bit. The whole modern day zombie thing is very popular right now and the market is saturated.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby evilcanofsoda » 16 Aug 2013, 18:52

They lost me. I was a fan of this series, but after the forth one (RE4 is the only game I have in my Gamecube, I felt stupid when they announce it for PS2 latter because I brought a Gamecube just for RE4 :roll: ) they really screwed the franchise. But If they go back to what made the Resident Evil games good I may give them a chance again.

Anyway I'm more exited about The Evil Within, looks amazing and horrifying. Can't wait to play it at midnight with all the lights turned off and volume to the top. :mrgreen:
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby Baryonyx » 17 Aug 2013, 05:22

SilentDark wrote:One of the problems I found was with the characterisation, especially of both Leon and Chris, so Chris loses a bunch of red shirts and decides to drown his sorrows, but was perfectly fine when the US government levelled Racoon City, and Leon trying to reason with a zombiefied President when he knows full well that zombies have lost all higher brain functions and the best thing you can do for them is put a bullet in their head. Actions that made no sense and was inconsistent with his characterisation in Degeneration. The problem wasn't that it was bloated, altogether it lasts little more than your standard Resi game. Across the three main campaigns I think I clocked 15 hours on my first playthrough, if Leon's campaign had been stretched to fit that I think it would have been at least a really good game, if not a really great game. Can we ditch Chris now? The way I see it his personal story ended with the death of Wesker, and can we see more of Rebecca Chambers, she seems to have dropped off the face of the earth since the mansion incident. Sherry got reintroduced after a long hiatus, time for Beccy to come back too.

Some very good points. I did find Leon trying to reason with a zombie incredibly stupid. It was a facepalm moment, in fact I may have audibly groaned as it happened. How stupid.

A more survival horror oriented RE would be good, but I'm not sure I trust Capcom to make a good RE game these days, given that RE6 was an execrable load of rubbish. Also, it would not be the first time I had accused the canon of having become massively silly and long winded now. Things really lost their way as the years rolled on. I could suspend my disbelief for RE2, say, where a city found itself in chaos - it was all rather good. But in the last RE6 game, I was rolling my eyes as Leon duelled with a flesh-and-bone T-Rex the size of a building, which could collapse back into a man-sized entity (wearing trousers, no less) at the drop of a hat. Silly, comic book rubbish.
Baryonyx 42

Postby steve w » 17 Aug 2013, 12:51

What a load of utter rubbish you guys have written re6 was a fantastic game I'm just sick of the negatively at this point, no reboot needed for re7 but Chris does need a holiday I would like wesker to return.
steve w 57

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Aug 2013, 12:54

steve w wrote:What a load of utter rubbish you guys have written re6 was a fantastic game I'm just sick of the negatively at this point, no reboot needed for re7 but Chris does need a holiday I would like wesker to return.

I think there is a pretty good chance you are the only person, inside or outside Capcom, that thinks that about resi6
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby steve w » 17 Aug 2013, 13:06

CunningSmile wrote:
steve w wrote:What a load of utter rubbish you guys have written re6 was a fantastic game I'm just sick of the negatively at this point, no reboot needed for re7 but Chris does need a holiday I would like wesker to return.

I think there is a pretty good chance you are the only person, inside or outside Capcom, that thinks that about resi6

I do always seem to like a lot of stuff that people hate, it's the same with the movies I like to.
Iam replaying re6 at the moment, I'm looking forward to what capcom have planned for it next.
steve w 57

Postby Spartan Edge » 28 Aug 2013, 11:49

I thought that Resident Evil 6 was very good actually. I appreciate & liked that the different campaigns were from different perspectives on what was going on, & liked the variety & length they bought to the game. A very generous package in my opinion. Each campaign was practically a whole game in itself, so at least had something for everyone. even if you play the Leon game, you have your full length survival horror game there at the very least, so i really don't see how anyone can complain.
Personally, i don't want to be going backwards & forwards, ferrying keys & crests around again, with the occasional break in the monotony by an occasional zombie, or a dog going through a window, This does not an interesting time make, Not for me anyway.
The old format was good for the time, but i moved on. Revelations bored me rigid.
Spartan Edge 13

Postby SilentDark » 28 Aug 2013, 22:56

CunningSmile wrote:

I quite liked Resi 6, it was not without it's flaws like I said in previous posts. I don't think a reboot is needed but certainly something needs to change, perhaps they could look at characters seemingly abandoned such as Barry, Rebecca, Billy or Carlos. I think Chris' story is over though so they should probably retire him.
SilentDark 67

Postby CR33D » 28 Aug 2013, 23:26

I quite liked Resident Evil 6, It was my favorite of all the newer ones. (4,5,ORC) I liked the 3 campaigns and the cross overs they had. If they make 3 campaigns again they should still have the diferent enemy types. (Zombie, Manji, Jav'o)
There is only 1 thing i wanted and i think it needs, And that is the puzzles. Those really made the older games more fun.

I want to see Rebecca, Jill, and maybe Alice from the films.

Also i loved Resident evil: Outbreak #1 and #2 I'd like to see another outbreak game or a HD version.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby SilentDark » 29 Aug 2013, 13:10

CR33D wrote: I want to see Rebecca, Jill, and maybe Alice from the films.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:( :( :(
SilentDark 67

Postby CR33D » 29 Aug 2013, 17:11

SilentDark wrote:
CR33D wrote: I want to see Rebecca, Jill, and maybe Alice from the films.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:( :( :(

Haha i know :lol: I like her in the films but i think she has had her time, I'd like to see a RE film reboot with Leon. But because she's been the main character in the films i'd like to see what they could do with her in a campaign
Maybe as a partner like sherry. But not the whole game of course.

CR33D 28

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Aug 2013, 19:35

The resident evil films were horrible and I can't help but feel she was in them because she was sleeping with the director. Why they didn't just name them 'Generic Kick Zombie' and leave it at that I don't know.

I only hope they actually stick some atmosphere in the next game. 4 had it, 5 even had a little bit at the start but then went a bit mental and 6 was the spawn of satan.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby CR33D » 29 Aug 2013, 21:14

FishyGinger wrote:The resident evil films were horrible and I can't help but feel she was in them because she was sleeping with the director. Why they didn't just name them 'Generic Kick Zombie' and leave it at that I don't know.

I only hope they actually stick some atmosphere in the next game. 4 had it, 5 even had a little bit at the start but then went a bit mental and 6 was the spawn of satan.

I liked the Resident Evil films, The older ones anyway but i didn't see them as RE films just Zombie Action films. The newer ones are bad though, They should reboot it or stop making them.

CR33D 28