to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

OXM unboxes an Xbox One - hands-on with the console, control

Your comments on our articles.

Jonty and Log go hands-on with Microsoft's new console

You asked - well, I assume you did - and we've answered. OXM is proud to present our very first video encounter with the Xbox One, its controller and the all-new Kinect. In the video below, Log and Jonty go hand-to-hand with the black beast and live to tell the tale - which is to say, they pick the console up and put it down again and discuss the holes on the back of the case.... read more

OXM unboxes an Xbox One - hands-on with the console, control

Postby Plamsa wing » 19 Aug 2013, 16:54

It's nice to see Log asking the hard questions there...
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Re: OXM unboxes an Xbox One - hands-on with the console, con

Postby Neil H » 19 Aug 2013, 16:58

Switch it on :P
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Postby FesLatif » 19 Aug 2013, 17:17

console looks pretty amazing, still not fully sold on kinect but as it will come with the console am looking forward to trying it out. also looking forward to what microsoft has instore at gamescon this week and also there is the small matter of the new FIFA 14 trailer #GoodTimes
FesLatif 20

Postby LethalBuddha » 19 Aug 2013, 17:21

Is that OXM's very own XB1 or did you guys break into to the MS facility and do an unboxing video?
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Postby tazzrats » 19 Aug 2013, 17:24

I am not sure how lonely I ma with this opinion, but I genuinely like the look of both next gen consoles, though I slightly prefer the ONE. This box looks clinical and fashionable, I genuinely like it aesthetically, Guess compared to the majority that makes me a tad broken :')
tazzrats 26

Postby Maximus T » 19 Aug 2013, 17:44

Some people will be glad that they can unplug Kinect.
I like that Kinect has its own plug shape so it doesn't take up one of my USB ports.
I am glad that they have a USB port on the side, into which I will plug my Ethernet cable.
Looks very sleek and classy.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby Pidgeman » 19 Aug 2013, 19:17

Maximus T wrote:Some people will be glad that they can unplug Kinect.
I like that Kinect has its own plug shape so it doesn't take up one of my USB ports.
I am glad that they have a USB port on the side, into which I will plug my Ethernet cable.

If it looks sleek and classy why do you want to ruin that by having a cable sticking out the side? Connect it from the back like normal people ;-)
Pidgeman 29

Postby evilcanofsoda » 19 Aug 2013, 19:41

It's a blu-ray drive, not a dvd drive... well it is too, but you get my point.

. <----- this point
evilcanofsoda 28

Postby Maximus T » 19 Aug 2013, 19:49

Pidgeman wrote:
Maximus T wrote:Some people will be glad that they can unplug Kinect.

If it looks sleek and classy why do you want to ruin that by having a cable sticking out the side? Connect it from the back like normal people ;-)

Then what's the point of the side USB? Put some on the front.
Also, I have just the classiest Ethernet Cables to match. :wink:
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby Dave2123 » 19 Aug 2013, 20:08

Maximus T wrote:Then what's the point of the side USB? Put some on the front.

Putting them on the front would totally ruin the aesthetics of it. The idea is to have all the cables, ports and nasty stuff at the back so you can't see them. It is then a lot nicer to look at and your girlfriend doesn't mind having it in the living room.
Dave2123 29

Postby Maximus T » 19 Aug 2013, 20:11

Dave2123 wrote:
Maximus T wrote:Then what's the point of the side USB? Put some on the front.

Putting them on the front would totally ruin the aesthetics of it. The idea is to have all the cables, ports and nasty stuff at the back so you can't see them. It is then a lot nicer to look at and your girlfriend doesn't mind having it in the living room.

Argh now I'm getting done for commenting about something I have no issue with, this is your fault Pidgeman! :wink:
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby Dave2123 » 19 Aug 2013, 20:17

As one who is quite paranoid, but also very excited about it, I'm glad that I can unplug Kinect when I'm not using it.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 19 Aug 2013, 20:19

Maximus T wrote:Argh now I'm getting done for commenting about something I have no issue with, this is your fault Pidgeman! :wink:

Nah you weren't getting done, but I can see why they wouldn't put any on the front. I really don't know why there's one on the side though.
Dave2123 29

Postby Maximus T » 19 Aug 2013, 20:24

Dave2123 wrote:
Maximus T wrote:Argh now I'm getting done for commenting about something I have no issue with, this is your fault Pidgeman! :wink:

Nah you weren't getting done, but I can see why they wouldn't put any on the front. I really don't know why there's one on the side though.

As in my initial comment I find the side useful for my Ethernet, but I would have thought that having USB on the back, not that I have a problem with that, would make them less accessible, meaning that the cable arches over the top of the console to reach you, rather than coming out straight. They could always have hidden them under a flap like on the 360.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby Spiderless » 19 Aug 2013, 20:48

Doesn't having a big ol' vent on top of the xbox invite quite a lot of dusty dust into its insides?
Spiderless 25

Next