to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ryse Xbox One hands-on - has Crytek made up for E3's button

Your comments on our articles.

Hands-on with combat that's deeper than it first appears

In Ancient Rome, the only Xs should be on the sundials. So goes the thinking behind the revised combat system in gladiatorial action game Ryse, one of Microsoft's four launch exclusives for Xbox One and the one which received the weakest reception at E3 thanks to a demo that looked spectacular but switched to QTEs for close-up combat.... read more

Re: Ryse Xbox One hands-on - has Crytek made up for E3's but

Postby ItchyRash » 20 Aug 2013, 11:55

So far everything I've seen of this game doesn't fill me with much hope. If I was getting a One at launch this would probably be avoided. Maybe it was the QTE's I noticed in the trailer that totally put me off but there's just something about the game that has mediocre written all over it. Are there any really stand out features I should be aware of?
ItchyRash 43

Postby Dave2123 » 20 Aug 2013, 19:18

Timmeh555 wrote:back on the pre order list. :D

I don't understand why people would pre order a game. It's at its most expensive and it might turn out to be rubbish. I always wait for the reviews and Youtube playthroughs before I go anywhere near a game - even then it has to be significantly reduced. I haven't bought a game that's cost over £20 this year. You'd be surprised how quickly they drop and waiting a couple of months to get it cheap, and to ensure that you will like it must be better than the risk that is pre-ordering.
Dave2123 29

Postby KernowDevil23 » 20 Aug 2013, 19:39

I've pre-ordered Forza 5 based on the fact the previous four games have been excellent and the quality is not likely to have been diminished by the extra oomph of the XB1.

So your point is?
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 20 Aug 2013, 20:05

Dave2123 wrote:
Timmeh555 wrote:back on the pre order list. :D

I don't understand why people would pre order a game. It's at its most expensive and it might turn out to be rubbish. I always wait for the reviews and Youtube playthroughs before I go anywhere near a game - even then it has to be significantly reduced. I haven't bought a game that's cost over £20 this year. You'd be surprised how quickly they drop and waiting a couple of months to get it cheap, and to ensure that you will like it must be better than the risk that is pre-ordering.

I've loved every Dead Rising so far and all but one Assassin's Creed game, and I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot about each game, and both are shaping up to be awesome, so I preorder them knowing that means I'll get them when I get the console. How is that difficult to understand?

Watch Dogs, it's a new UIP, but it's coming from one of my favourite developers and the videos I've watched and information I've read make the game look incredible, so I've pre ordered it because I want to play it. How is that difficult to understand?

I've loved every Elder Scrolls game so far, plus both of the Fallouts this gen and I enjoy MMORPGs. Watching videos and reading information about this makes it sound like it will be as awesome as I hoped, so I'll pre-order it closer to the time so I get it on the day of release. How is that difficult to understand?

Get the pattern here? People pre order games based on experience, preference and need/wants. This isn't complicated at all.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 20 Aug 2013, 20:17

I'm concerned about Ryse. There's been too much chopping and changing and reacting to feedback, which doesn't really bode well for the clarity of the game's vision. Maybe the story will shine through the constantly redesigned gameplay, but having played Crysis 2, I'm not sure Crytek have any writers at all.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69