to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft on Xbox One's PR - gamers buy consoles for games,

Your comments on our articles.

"All of the people on stage, myself included, that's just part of a show," says Spencer

Microsoft had a rough-and-tumble E3 this year, its strong Xbox One games line-up overshadowed by the console's controversial online DRM policies, which were openly mocked by rival Sony during the latter's opening presser. It wasn't the same story at Gamescom this week - the policies in question have now been dropped - but the Boys in Blue found time nonetheless to poke fun at Microsoft's "shifting message". Studios head Phil Spencer believes all that won't amount to much when the Xbox One actually goes on sale, however.... read more

Microsoft on Xbox One's PR - gamers buy consoles for games,

Postby Chameleon » 22 Aug 2013, 17:11

Phil Spencer wrote:People say, 'Why didn't you talk about the indie developer programmer?', 'Why didn't you give us a launch date?' You can't give 15 different messages simultaneously

Ok, we're now into the quiet, post-Gamescom-reveals time.

So how about that *@#%$&? release date??
Chameleon 44

Re: Microsoft on Xbox One's PR - gamers buy consoles for gam

Postby hazy33 » 22 Aug 2013, 17:55

To paraphrase Yoda 'The bullsh*t is strong in this one'

They tried to pull a fast one and got their arses handed to them on a plate.
If it was all about what the Xbox One could do for people why the continuing u-turns? An apology would mean so much more than trying to brush it all under the carpet.
They'll never get the trust back from gamers.
hazy33 25

Postby Grummy » 22 Aug 2013, 18:04

hazy33 wrote:To paraphrase Yoda 'The bullsh*t is strong in this one'

If it was all about what the Xbox One could do for people why the continuing u-turns? An apology would mean so much more than trying to brush it all under the carpet.

Except that they hadn't ever lost if from a lot of them, and many more have had a change of heart.

So, lets stop with this anti-MS rhetoric please, particularly the ridiculous statements where you proclaim to know how everyone thinks. MS owe no one an apology.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SmgUk » 22 Aug 2013, 18:35

On Yer Own :wink:
SmgUk 27

Postby ChaoticP » 22 Aug 2013, 21:06

Sometimes I feel like MS is in my head, this is exactly what I was saying the other day. I buy consoles for the games and content they provide not whether or not I like their marketing. As much as I didn't agree with MS's original policies at E3 I felt they had the better content, I can understand it leaving a bad taste in your mouth, but you shouldn't think with your emotions.
Last edited by ChaoticP on 22 Aug 2013, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
ChaoticP 52

Postby Pompey78 » 22 Aug 2013, 21:12

no mention on release date yet?

I suspect it will be something like the first weekend in Nov to trump the PS4. For me the 'bad pr' wasn't really that bad. I thought the DRM stuff was ok, always on etc. not a problem for me.

Kinect still needs 1.4-1.8m clear space to work, so no improvement in that respect......this means for me and our living room I will be buying non stand up and move around kinect supported games.

Any news on the more expensive pay over 2 year subscription model? - died a death as it's already more expensive or was that rumour just that?

Liked the look of the upload video editing tool/channel..... Wonder how with functions like box in box they are going to stop people uploading very 'interesting' videos of themselves/objects etc...

Project Spark looks great, titanfall for me looks very interesting, battlefield 4 looks like a must purchase.....

overall very pleased with what microsoft have shown to date....just need to work out how to pay for the damned thing....no christmas gifts for my kids this year....lump of coal for them :)
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 33

Postby KernowDevil23 » 22 Aug 2013, 21:31

Pompey78 wrote:Kinect still needs 1.4-1.8m clear space to work, so no improvement in that respect.

I'd say there is a distinct improvement judging by the room needed for the first Kinect.

Microsoft wrote:the recommended Xbox Kinect room size for a single player is between 6-8ft (1.8-2.4m)
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Twilight Error » 22 Aug 2013, 22:08

ChaoticP wrote:I buy consoles for the games and content they provide not whether or not I like their marketing.

Too true. And for me, Microsoft has the better offering. Their competitor's showing at Gamescom highlighted a commitment to indie titles, but none of the titles they discussed looked remotely interesting to me, with the exception of one or two. Overall, the competing press conference was very underwhelming -- proven by the fact that their largest applause point came during their jab at Microsoft.

Microsoft has done plenty to earn my trust over the last 7 years -- they won't lose that trust so easily. I do hope they'll eventually return to their original plan, though, if only for users who see greater value in digital titles over physical copies (like sharing and instant access, and maybe even cheaper prices). Their desire to leap forward may have been unnerving to some, but that anxiety shouldn't stifle the type of progress that digital gaming has to offer.

Through it all, it seems that Microsoft has found a good middle ground: "Here's the familiarity you want; you can stay here, or you can move forward. We'll be leaving soon." Personally, I'm ready to go. Just let me grab a snack.
Twilight Error 41

Postby Dave2123 » 23 Aug 2013, 02:20

I'm not sure that Sony know how to form proper arguments. First they attack Microsoft for DRM and then they attack them for not having DRM - I don't think their PR people are very smart. I love how Spencer makes a little dig at Sony's attacks on them with the 'it's not about the press conferences' thing.

You really came to the wrong place if you were hoping of trolling us with this. They tried something innovative, but the majority of people are ignorant, narrow minded and stuck in the past like you, and so Microsoft listened to them and changed their policies. If anything, by u-turning they are showing how trustworthy they are, whereas Sony refuse to answer any questions and obviously know their console is inferior, which is why they removed The Eye, so they could undercut The One and why their reveal only showed games, (and Microsoft's showed the console, which is what a console reveal should do) and they're keeping us in the dark about vital info. I think it's pretty obvious who the better company is.

I've never understood why Microsoft's reveal was criticised; it was a console reveal and they showed us the console and it's specs and features. Is that not what a console reveal should do? We shouldn't really see any games at a console reveal - that's what E3 and GamesCon are for, but everyone seemed to love Sony's console reveal where we hardly learnt anything about the console and were just showed games. That doesn't really make sense to me.
Dave2123 29

Postby TheGoodDoctor » 23 Aug 2013, 12:07

how are the majority closed minded? if MS did a U- turn on DRM then isnt it the minority closed minded? some of their ideas were ok but so much was terrible, for example the none backward compatability issue, was that really a good idea? letting peoples current game library become obselite? theyve resolved a lot of the issues now but the innitial betrayal still sticks with people. i will get a XBO simply because some of my favorite universes are ecxlusive to xbox. without bein a hater i must say that this place was used as a place for people to voice opinions peacefully but when you look now its full of xbox fan boys attacking anyone who dare speak out about the crap MS have been spouting lately.
TheGoodDoctor 8

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Aug 2013, 12:13

TheGoodDoctor wrote:how are the majority closed minded? if MS did a U- turn on DRM then isnt it the minority closed minded? some of their ideas were ok but so much was terrible, for example the none backward compatability issue, was that really a good idea? letting peoples current game library become obselite? theyve resolved a lot of the issues now but the innitial betrayal still sticks with people. i will get a XBO simply because some of my favorite universes are ecxlusive to xbox. without bein a hater i must say that this place was used as a place for people to voice opinions peacefully but when you look now its full of xbox fan boys attacking anyone who dare speak out about the crap MS have been spouting lately.

Only 5% of people used the BC on the 360 on even a semi regular basis, and the whole idea of backwards compatibility prettyu much started with the PS2. It's a feature that people scream loudly about wanting but the simple facts do not support the expenditure it requires.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Aug 2013, 12:21

CunningSmile wrote:Only 5% of people used the BC on the 360 on even a semi regular basis, and the whole idea of backwards compatibility prettyu much started with the PS2. It's a feature that people scream loudly about wanting but the simple facts do not support the expenditure it requires.

Yes but you fail to grasp the real argument. I want, I'm a majority and I'll speak for you thanks.

Plus my DS can play advance games so it's like totes better.

whatever a totes is. Sounds like a type of potato.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Aug 2013, 12:30

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Only 5% of people used the BC on the 360 on even a semi regular basis, and the whole idea of backwards compatibility prettyu much started with the PS2. It's a feature that people scream loudly about wanting but the simple facts do not support the expenditure it requires.

Yes but you fail to grasp the real argument. I want, I'm a majority and I'll speak for you thanks.

I thought I was a majority? After all I have a keyboard and internet access! I want my One to not only play 360 games but also PS2 games (but not PS3, that would be stupid) and I speak for everyone!
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 23 Aug 2013, 13:01

FishyGinger wrote:

Schweeet

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby SilentDark » 23 Aug 2013, 13:18

CunningSmile wrote:
I thought I was a majority? After all I have a keyboard and internet access! I want my One to not only play 360 games but also PS2 games (but not PS3, that would be stupid) and I speak for everyone!

I want a grill! Screw kinect, screw Eye Toy, screw oversized game pad tablet thingy, a grill/console hybrid is the true future, anybody who thinks otherwise is just wrong, and doesn't deserve to play games, what is wrong with you all, give me a grill!!!!

And technically I do speak for everyone because I am a gestalt being, comprised of the total hatred and cynicism of the entire human race. :lol:
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Next