to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

South Park: The Stick of Truth - a role-player for the gross

Your comments on our articles.

Prepare to laugh #$%*ing hard

Changing schools is already traumatic for kids, but imagining what it would be like to move into South Park during The Stick of Truth is truly disconcerting. In Obsidian's upcoming RPG, the town is enmeshed in a huge live-action roleplaying game, with different cliques and factions fighting over the eponymous Stick of Truth.... read more

South Park: The Stick of Truth - a role-player for the gross

Postby Bobo888 » 23 Aug 2013, 09:46

CAN NOT WAIT! I really hope this doesn't disappoint, but from the sound of it, it wont. Matt and Trey wont let there be another terrible South Park game out there.
Bobo888 38

Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth - a role-player for the g

Postby msbhvn » 23 Aug 2013, 10:23

Dragonborn, really? Bethesda's notoriously litigious legal department will have something to say about that, I reckon.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby schwepterbrowser » 23 Aug 2013, 10:27

Glad to hear it's coming along nicely. I pre-ordered for a very reasonable £28 ages ago and it can't come soon enough.
schwepterbrowser 57

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Aug 2013, 10:28

msbhvn wrote:Dragonborn, really? Bethesda's notoriously litigious legal department will have something to say about that, I reckon.

There's a clause in US law that copywrite doesn't apply if used for satirical reasons (amazed the Yanks know what satire is) so Bethesda probably won't get very far. How else do you think South Park has got away with so much for so long without being sued into bankruptcy?
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 23 Aug 2013, 10:33

CunningSmile wrote:
msbhvn wrote:Dragonborn, really? Bethesda's notoriously litigious legal department will have something to say about that, I reckon.

There's a clause in US law that copywrite doesn't apply if used for satirical reasons (amazed the Yanks know what satire is) so Bethesda probably won't get very far. How else do you think South Park has got away with so much for so long without being sued into bankruptcy?

Dragonborn being the name of a DLC means it's also a trademark. They might be able to get away with it if it's only mentioned in-game, but if they put it in the blurb on the back of the box there could be ructions.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby OXM Log » 23 Aug 2013, 11:13

Dragonborn is also a race from a 2006 edition of D&D, so they could always say they're referring to that. *shoves glasses back up nose*
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Aug 2013, 11:17

OXM Log wrote:Dragonborn is also a race from a 2006 edition of D&D, so they could always say they're referring to that. *shoves glasses back up nose*

Nice to see you can still geek with the best of them now you've achieved your new slim line version. I was worried you were going to jump ship for Men's Fitness magazine :lol:
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Log » 23 Aug 2013, 11:28

CunningSmile wrote:
OXM Log wrote:Dragonborn is also a race from a 2006 edition of D&D, so they could always say they're referring to that. *shoves glasses back up nose*

Nice to see you can still geek with the best of them now you've achieved your new slim line version. I was worried you were going to jump ship for Men's Fitness magazine :lol:

Jesus. I can only imagine how much fun it is to be paid to write phrases like "74 WAYS TO BLITZ THOSE ABS AND MAKE HER GRUNT LIKE A WOLF IN BED"
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 23 Aug 2013, 11:29

OXM Log wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Nice to see you can still geek with the best of them now you've achieved your new slim line version. I was worried you were going to jump ship for Men's Fitness magazine :lol:

Jesus. I can only imagine how much fun it is to be paid to write phrases like "74 WAYS TO BLITZ THOSE ABS AND MAKE HER GRUNT LIKE A WOLF IN BED"

They really are living the dream at Men's Fitness :lol:
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 23 Aug 2013, 11:30

OXM Log wrote:Jesus. I can only imagine how much fun it is to be paid to write phrases like "74 WAYS TO BLITZ THOSE ABS AND MAKE HER GRUNT LIKE A WOLF IN BED"

Not to mention, "HERE'S THE WORKOUT ROUTINE OF <insert Hollywood star> WHO TOTALLY ISN'T ON STEROIDS!" :lol:
msbhvn 69

Postby Ashkaari » 23 Aug 2013, 13:07

I imagine their marketing plan went along the lines of
Phase 1. Make RPG
Phase 2. ?
Phase 3. Profit!
In about 5 minutes I will look back at this with an urge to erase my stupidity.
Ashkaari 38

Postby Metalratex » 23 Aug 2013, 13:29

Anxiously waiting.
Metalratex 25

Postby Dave2123 » 24 Aug 2013, 02:48

This looks amazing. I hope it's as funny as the show - I can still remember cracking up endlessly over the episode where Cartman dressed up as a raccoon super hero and called himself The Coon. I can't believe they got away with it.

CunningSmile wrote:There's a clause in US law that copywrite doesn't apply if used for satirical reasons (amazed the Yanks know what satire is) so Bethesda probably won't get very far. How else do you think South Park has got away with so much for so long without being sued into bankruptcy?

Wow, I'm proud of America for coming up with that. Although, it does fit in with their never ending obsession with amendments and civil liberties and freedom bo**ocks. The fact that they had to make such huge amendments in the first place should be pretty indicative really.
Dave2123 29

Postby Drainwater » 25 Aug 2013, 14:30

CunningSmile wrote:(amazed the Yanks know what satire is)

Hey, for some of us, satire is one of our best art forms. May I direct you to a Mr. Stephen Colbert?
Drainwater 35

Postby Maximus T » 25 Aug 2013, 14:47

Drainwater wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:(amazed the Yanks know what satire is)

Hey, for some of us, satire is one of our best art forms. May I direct you to a Mr. Stephen Colbert?

Not bad, but I have to prefer Charlie Brooker. Probably because satire is most effective in the area most aware of the events.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70